• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temps with water are same as air temps...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fall

So i just got a water cooling set up. on air with a Zalman Heat sync my idle temps were 28-30C and load were 60C.

on the water cooling setup my idle temps are the same and load was dropped to about 50C. i know i really shouldnt worry unless im up in the 80+C but still at Stock clocks you would think water would drop it about 10C+ load and idle.

or am i just expecting too much? lol

Without knowing exactly what you are using to cool the chip, I'm not sure how we can draw conclusions other than very basic ones. You are also cooling the Intel system in your signature? Either way, you need to be clear and concise when asking for assistance.

Reseat the waterblock.
Make sure there is no air in the loop.
Make sure there is enough air flow through the radiator.

Without knowing exactly what you are using to cool the chip, I'm not sure how we can draw conclusions other than very basic ones. You are also cooling the Intel system in your signature? Either way, you need to be clear and concise when asking for assistance.

Reseat the waterblock.
Make sure there is no air in the loop.
Make sure there is enough air flow through the radiator.

yes im cooling the set up i have in the sig. Sorry for not being clear.

As far as the waterblock goes it is a Swifttech Apogee XT (i think).

I have double and triple checked the air in the tubes and from what i can see ive gotton it all out.

The Fans i thought were good enough accually suck so i am getting new fans I was thinking Sythes or something like that but for now there is alot of airflow through the Rad.

I will try and reseat the block idk why i didnt think of that before... I thought i seated it good but i will seat it again.

Make sure you don't have too much (or too little) paste. That will mess with your temperatures more than you think.

Make sure you don't have too much (or too little) paste. That will mess with your temperatures more than you think.

I think that was the reason i popped it off and there was maybe a pea sized circle of paste.... lol i Fail

i will fix it tomorrow and will update then Ill clean it completely off and start over.

What would be a good size dab to put on there ive always heard a grain of rice sized but i think that wont do..

You don't need a lot of paste. You just need it to cover the entire IHS (doesn't have to be perfect, just the general "central" area is fine) with as little paste as possible. Any more than that and it starts acting as an insulator and your temperatures will skyrocket.

You don't need a lot of paste. You just need it to cover the entire IHS (doesn't have to be perfect, just the general "central" area is fine) with as little paste as possible. Any more than that and it starts acting as an insulator and your temperatures will skyrocket.

hmm now my temps are about 3C higher so i guess i put too much.

I think ill redo my loop aswell, I currently got it setup.

Res > CPU > Rad > Pump> Res

I think ill set it up like

Res > Pump > Rad > CPU > Res

aswell as get new fans for the Rad. heres a current pic of my setup.

1292993306.jpg

You could also make sure your fans are optimal for the type of RAD which you are using. It could be a simple issue of wrong fans or warm room ambient temps.

You could also make sure your fans are optimal for the type of RAD which you are using. It could be a simple issue of wrong fans or warm room ambient temps.

I Assume its fans... My ambiant is about 50-65F at all times of the year

unless thats hot... i can make it colder :p

What radiator do you have? Brand and size. Can't tell by that pic.

And your room is 50-60F all year round? Pretty cold, must own a lot of sweaters.

its a swifttech 2x120 I assume it will need replacing as well or i may get more tubing and incorporate it into a new loop once i get the GPU waterblock.

And yea in the winter its easier i just open the windows and let my room fan run full blast. there was one time it was 30 in my room when i got home from work brrr lol. But in the summer its harder I need my Central Air going full blast and AC Units to keep it cool If i didn't live in Texas it couldn't be so hard but it gets hot here haha.

50C load temp with a 2x120mm rad sounds ok to me.

thats at stock speed tho with the Zalman and water cooling setup... I figured atleast the WC would be a little bit cooler than the Zalman one.

now at 3.3 Apparently as far as i can go without my system being unstable max load temps under stress get about 65 but when gaming they never pass 50

Nah, you can definitely go further than that, you just need a few tricks. What're you walling on? Heatwall will come around 90c, so unless you're bclock walling really low (should be overcomeable), you should have more headroom. Try this guide http://www.overclockers.com/updated-intel-overclocking-guides/ if you're bclock walling try playing with your skews a little, that should get you a bit.

As for your temps, should be quieter or cooler for the same fans. You really don't get quieter and cooler until you get a 120.3 for your cpu. Hence why that's our typical recommendation.

thats at stock speed tho with the Zalman and water cooling setup... I figured atleast the WC would be a little bit cooler than the Zalman one.

now at 3.3 Apparently as far as i can go without my system being unstable max load temps under stress get about 65 but when gaming they never pass 50

Sorry, I misunderstod you then.

1292993306.jpg

Yeh, your first loops setup is definitely a big no no, that's essentially sucking water through your loop rather than pushing it.. :eek:

So i just got a water cooling set up. on air with a Zalman Heat sync my idle temps were 28-30C and load were 60C.

on the water cooling setup my idle temps are the same and load was dropped to about 50C. i know i really shouldnt worry unless im up in the 80+C but still at Stock clocks you would think water would drop it about 10C+ load and idle.

or am i just expecting too much? lol

That sounds about right, going from air to water near stock settings and you saw 10C decrease at load and 1C or less at idle.

At idle, your cpu is only using 4-6 watts heat, and at load ~10-15x more watts at stock settings. The higher the wattage, the larger difference in cooling between water and air. The smaller the wattage, the smaller the difference.

For example air cooling, one site calculated thermalright true cooling as .15 C/W with 2000 rpm fans, and one dual rad water cooling was .03 C/W with 1800 rpm fans (just using these numbers as examples, will differ system to system).

At idle 6 W, the difference between air and water cooling on a system using above would be less than 1C.

At load of 80W, the difference would be ~ 10C (air cooling would be ~10C higher than water).

At load of 160W, the difference would be ~20C (air cooling would be ~20C higher than water cooling).

Granted that assumes linearity and other ignored errors, but it illustrates the point, at low wattage, idle, there should be almost no difference between air and water cooling, even if water is several times better cooling than air. From there, the higher the wattage, the larger the difference, especially true when start using quieter fans with high wattage, and especially when nearing or exceeding the cooling capacity of air.

I didn't catch what pump you are using, but the XT is extremely restrictive... Also, higher CFM fans scale amazingly well with radiators (I've made a build with a single 120x25mm rad that got better temps that builds with 4.120mm rads because I had 250CFM fans set up in push/pull)... And no offense, but seeing as this seems like ur first wc loop, u should probably ask for help on xtremesystems.com... They have a massive amount of wc experts that patrol their forums

Back