• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing begins...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

I am trying to do some experiments here:

I have car radiator fluid (shell coolguard concentrate) There is a stack of NA agar plates ready for testing

This is ethylene glycol pure without the green dye and very concntrated

Just a pure piece of silver

Iodine (This is the real stuff super concentrated stock bottle)

I thought i would use copper (most of us use copper water blocks like the storm)

Paper discs (they have been autoclaved the ie the tape has turned black) these dics will absorb the "antimicrobial agent" that is to be tested.

The bugs we will be testing against is the "natural flora" of my arm... which I presume is what the most common contaminants in any water loop made by your grubby fingers.

I would like to compare the effectivenss of silver vs copper. Silver water blocks might be worth the money but bacteria dont know Bacteria do not know that silver is more expensive than copper so this should be an interesting test.

The initial experiment will test the "stock" "concentrated / undiluted" chemicals, just to ensure that the are "antimicrobial" in the first place.

Later we will move to find the minimum concentration we need to use to kill some bugs.

The "IDEA" is bacteria will grow on the agar dish untill they encounter an "antimicrobial agent" at this point they cease to grow and create a "zone of inihbition" (zone of death) around the antimicrobial agent used. The larger the "zone of inhibition" the more potent the antimicorbial agent is (ie the bigger the zone the less we need to use). To make agar is like 95% water 5% agar, and the act of difusion takes place quite readily. So what im trying is the petri dish is like the water in your loop...

There have been discussions where we think Ethylene glycol only kills things with kidneys... last time I looked bacteria dont have kidneys so they shouldnt be harmed.... but nobody here can say with 100% confidence that antifreze can kill bugs or not.

We "think" Iodine is good at killing bacteria in a loop and prevents the build up of sucm... Seeming Iodine has been is used to treat wounds and is considred a topical antiseptic... I wouldnt be suprised to see iodine kill some bacteria tomorow. Although at the low concentrations you guys use I have my doubts...

Last edited:
Back