• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing CPU bottlenecks using multiple CPUs and a GTX 1080ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
interesting thread, one thing i might have missed i didnt see. what resolution did you test? lower resolutions for cpu testing, higher resolutions for GPU testing. now using higher resolutions with the same GPU per different cpu's can show how much each generation has a improvement on GPU performance. Something i forget where i saw it, was that 10x0's respond really well to having PCIE 3.0 connection vs 2.0, that is something else that would be hard to single out. that is since your looking at both CPU/PCIE, there is no setup i can think of for LGA775 that has PCIE 3.0. what im getting to is that using LGA775 setup is nice to see performance, if we were to break it down to compare to newer setups. it would be hard to look at cpu efficiency alone with PCIE making a difference on such a high end card with PCIE 3.0 systems.

yea i can kind of get that but on the flip side, it still is a PCIE 3.0 native or how do you put it? its not like using a 2.0 only based setup, what kind of changes have they made that even if running slower the pcie 3.0 native is more effective. more a kin of going from 65nm core 2 to a 45nm core 2 is what im a getting at, the 45nm having a performance increase for the same clock speed due to the nm switch. would the same thing not happen here? as we are now talking PCIE on the cpu, with cpu being lower NM then a core 2 setup. i'm more about the details lol you should know that by now. i am more nitpicking due to the vast differences, those that really dont care just want to see numbers, thats cool. i am just wondering about under the hood differences too.

Id gather you wont find much if anything at all. Bandwidth is the same and it isnt being saturated is the underlying point.

The problem is that its impossible to test. Cant put a modern cpu on pcie2.0 and cant put an old cpu on pcie3.0...right?

Is it not a motherboard limitation? I mean the CPU will be able to support it but it may not fully utilize the bandwith of pcie 3.0.

PCIe was from the NB back in the day. It wasn't until.....................(?)X58/Z87(?).............. PCIe moved into the CPU on the Intel side.

PCIe was from the NB back in the day. It wasn't until.....................(?)X58/Z87(?).............. PCIe moved into the CPU on the Intel side.
I know that. I mean I remember I had a friend of mine who had a 775 motherboard and I was most certain had pcie3.0 when I looked it up at the time

I know that socket 775 commonly supports up to PCI Express 2. 0. But I'm certain that there was a very few number of boards release later on that came out with support for a PCI Express 3. 0

and yes I know that the socket 775 motherboard I tested here is indeed PCI Express 2. 0

Last edited:
yea it was some time after X58 it got moved to the CPU. though still the PCH still had/has PCIE 2.0 lanes, not sure if newer PCH's have been updated to PCIE 3.0. im assuming they are going to leave that to CPU only and use PCIE 2.0 for other devices. since there is nothing but a GPU that could make full use of PCIE 3.0 right now, well consumer side that is.

*edit*
P35/X38/X48 did support both DDR2 and DDR3 but at the time it was shown that other then speed. core 2 didnt need ddr 3, other then overclocking that was about it.

There are PCIe 3.0 lanes out of the PCH in modern chipsets. Its how most of the things NOT GPU PCIe lanes run off the boards (USB ports, M.2 slots, Ethernet, Audio, etc).

i know ED but what i was saying is that the PCH use to only be pcie 2.0 and the cpu had 3.0 lanes. i was not sure if they updated the PCH to have 3.0 lanes now or stuck with 2.0 on the pch.

I just answered that. PCH was updated to PCIe 3.0 a couple of generations ago (Z170?? Maybe older?)... unless you meant to say on older chipsets? I'm confused.. :rofl:

P67 was the first to have it fully integrated. According to the pictures x58 still had a north bridge. But the IMC was moved into the CPU.

Support it.................out of the chipset? I think that may be the first gen it came from the CPU???

Links plz. :)

lol now im not sure if we are talking IMC or PCIE on cpu with his post ED. yea i did confuse my self reading your post, thinking you did get what i was saying. being the stickler i am P55 first gen i's which could be called second gen sorta speak. since P55 came out so much longer after X58, P55 has some pcie 2.0 lanes on the PCH, but LGA1156(aka p55) cpus had PCIE on die.

p55-block.png

https://hothardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-and-i7-processors-and-p55-chipset?page=4

No idea. Neither of us mentioned IMC so I am not sure where that came from. :p

Anyway, all I know is that PCIe 3.0 hit the PCH a couple of generations ago in Intel (possibly sooner on the CPU itselg for GPU lanes) for all those peripherals. Much more recently on AMD (Ryzen?). When exactly the PCH PCIe lanes went to 2.0 to 3.0, I don't know offhand and would have to research those chipset diagrams to see.

I would continue talking g but this has gotten a little complicated. Maybe I should just wait till I go home. I. At work.

Back