• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing out an LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MVPillman

Registered
I just got a Viewsonic VX2025wm :)D), and was wondering if there were any freeware programs that could test out for common problems I read about? Things like dead pixels, ghosting, color banding...?

Thanks!

Play a game to find ghosting. Look at a colorful picture to check colors (one that you're familiar with). Dead pixels you'll see doing either of the first two things. All that matters is what looks good to YOU. don't look for problems in your investment, they'll find you.

To check for dead and stuck pixels I just set my background to white and inspected the screen. Then I set it to black to check for stuck pixels.

I would suggest CheckeMON. It will run all sorts of tests for absolutely free. Never have to register and it's very easy to figure out. It'll test all your colors, banding, and all that good stuff.

For ghosting, I learned this trick on the forums. Open a game of MS Solitare and drag a card around on the green background. It'll give you a fair idea.

Yamiyanazz said:
I would suggest CheckeMON. It will run all sorts of tests for absolutely free. Never have to register and it's very easy to figure out. It'll test all your colors, banding, and all that good stuff.

For ghosting, I learned this trick on the forums. Open a game of MS Solitare and drag a card around on the green background. It'll give you a fair idea.

Hey Yamiyanazz ....I just went to the site you listed and my Avast virus program kicked in , telling me NOT to load the page as it contains a virus !!!

Now , not all virus programs are perfect , but Ive had XINT results from Avast ; so I'd imagine what Avast is telling me has a very good possibility of being true . Seems it may have been the pop-up too that was blocked .

Anyway , just a heads up to anyone linking to the above . Can anyone else confirm ?

stereo555 said:
Hey Yamiyanazz ....I just went to the site you listed and my Avast virus program kicked in , telling me NOT to load the page as it contains a virus !!!

Now , not all virus programs are perfect , but Ive had XINT results from Avast ; so I'd imagine what Avast is telling me has a very good possibility of being true . Seems it may have been the pop-up too that was blocked .

Anyway , just a heads up to anyone linking to the above . Can anyone else confirm ?

Interesting find, stereo555. I took this into consideration after your pointing it out and decided to upload the file to http://virusscan.jotti.org to check for any virus among several virus programs. It returned negative with no viruses found, even when scanned with Avast.

However, it did return as "MIGHT BE INFECTED/MALWARE (Sandbox emulation took a long time and/or runtime packers were found, this is suspicious. Normally programs aren't packed and don't force the sandbox into lengthy emulation. Do realize no scanner issued any warning, the file can very well be harmless. Caution is advised, however.)"

This is suspicious, plus your scan that recognises it. Being inconclusive, I would say that the program should be used at your own risk. Thank you for pointing this out, stereo555.

Yamiyanazz said:
Interesting find, stereo555. I took this into consideration after your pointing it out and decided to upload the file to http://virusscan.jotti.org to check for any virus among several virus programs. It returned negative with no viruses found, even when scanned with Avast.

However, it did return as "MIGHT BE INFECTED/MALWARE (Sandbox emulation took a long time and/or runtime packers were found, this is suspicious. Normally programs aren't packed and don't force the sandbox into lengthy emulation. Do realize no scanner issued any warning, the file can very well be harmless. Caution is advised, however.)"

This is suspicious, plus your scan that recognises it. Being inconclusive, I would say that the program should be used at your own risk. Thank you for pointing this out, stereo555.

Sorry to report but I did get a Trojan in my system after viewing the site (went back to the site anyway to check out the program ; my bad :rolleyes: ). I had run Avast just yesterday , no virus . Ran a complete check again just after leaving the site and a Trojan was found . It seems to have been a minor issue and was easily removed by Avast .
Again , it may have been reporting on something such as a spyware Trojan (vs virus ), but again just a heads up ! I should have written down WHAT Trojan it was, or atleast kept the log of it . Anyway , no hard feelings bro .. ;) ... stuff happens .

Last edited:
Back