• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thanks, Windows Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

Yes, another one of those threads.

I've been using a trick of disabling WU service to prevent restarts unless I expressly do it myself. Last night before going to bed, the temperature was dropping and turned on 3 more PCs and put them to distributed computing projects. Two of them were Windows 10, and I manually went in, checked the status of the WU service, and both were enabled. I had been tinkering with the systems recently so this wasn't unexpected. No problem, I stopped and disabled it, and went to bed. Of course, I woke this morning to find both had restarted overnight just after I left them, so they've been sitting idle since. I suspect they may have already been in the process of updating when I stopped it, which was enough to trigger a reboot even after disabling.

I'm far reaching the stage where I'd rather just block WU outright at network level so it will never work again. That's not to say I will never update, but it will be on my terms.

^Thanks for the heads-up!

Blocking on a network level makes sense actually... Started myself with Rosetta and being away from home quite often for several days/weeks, might be the right thing to do.

This may help https://www.tecmint.com/install-configure-pfblockerng-dns-black-listing-in-pfsense/ from another thread. Other than changing the Hosts file, a network firewall solution seems to be the most persistent. And if you fritter with the Hosts file you get no guarantee M$ won't unfritter it at a later date. Taking away WU's phone and sending it to its room seems the best, at least most persistent, way to go about it. It also keeps from mucking with all those little hidden dependencies W10 has. Unplug this, that falls over, etc.. So Windows 10 can continue chugging along like it's supposed to, secure in the (false) knowledge that it controls its own destiny.

I'm suspecting some updates happen even when WU service disabled. I just turned on my Ryzen system which hadn't been used in a while. Checked WU, it was disabled. On next reboot, it applied some updates, and WU was on again. Gotta keep a close eye on other systems to confirm this...

Back