• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The 1700 DLT3C is still the best overall OCer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Octavian

Registered
I still think the 1700 DLT3C, JIUHB's are the best overall OCing chips. In terms of price vs. Mhz, and percent OC above stock, I think the 1700 is still at the top.

I have my DLT3C JIUHB 0319 running 11 x 228 (2515) P95 stable. Its been running about 8 months now 24/7 at 2500 mhz and never a problem, and nice temps on air.

I recently bought another DLT3C JIUHB 0319 (exact same chip, earlier batch number), and a DLT3C JIUHB 0311, still waiting for both to arrive. Will see how well they do. Want to have a backup cpu just in case, and will probably sell one.

I havent seen many people with a 0319 that didnt hit 2500 mhz.

I tried two Barton 2500's, but they just wouldnt cooperate. I know that its still luck of the draw in many cases, but back when SVC was selling the garunteed 0319 1700's, they sold faster than they could send them out, and virtually everyone was reporting 2400 to 2600 mhz with them.

The 0308, 0310, 0311, and 0312 1700's were also good OCing cpus as well.

Personally I wouldnt trade my 1700 for 3 new bartons. Its too bad that with this new locking BS that AMD is hitting us with there is little chance of a new hot batch of great OCing CPU's to come out.

Steven4563 said:
i love my 1700+ too but i cant get it past 2.5ghz and im not going push 1.9V threw it just for a 50mhz increase

Yeah, alot of the 1700's top out at 2500, but hey, thats one hell of a gain on a cpu that runs 1500 stock!

1.9 isnt too bad if temps are kept at bay. Heat is the biggest killer.

Its amazing that there are so mnay people running over 2 volts Vcore. Thats scary! 1.9 I can live with, more than that is a bit too scary for me.

bartons are luck of the draw, but the good ones do at least 2.4. I'd rather have a barton at 2.4 than an XP at 2.5.
They do run hotter though.

crimedog said:
bartons are luck of the draw, but the good ones do at least 2.4. I'd rather have a barton at 2.4 than an XP at 2.5.

Why? rather spend more for the CPU, get less % overclock, and have more heat?

I have to ask again, why?

I received my Barton last week, so just bought it from newegg VERY recently. You'll probably receive the same stepping if you purchased it right now..

btw, don't take this the wrong way but what exactly is the point to this thread? It's hard to badmouth the bartons with the new mobile's doing so well (even better than the tbreds). This is like a "my AMD is better than your Intel" arguement.

Granted, it's $30 to $40 more than a tbred, but what's $40 in the long run from the slight benefits of less power consumption, lower temps, and the added cache?

Last edited:
crimedog said:
They do run hotter though.

most bartons can only do 2.3ghz :p and a t-bred and a barton are both XP's :D

jlin453 said:

btw, don't take this the wrong way but what exactly is the point to this thread? It's hard to badmouth the bartons with the new mobile's doing so well (even better than the tbreds). This is like a "my AMD is better than your Intel" arguement.

Thats funny, coming from someone who posted in it!

I was simply stating that in an all around sense, the 1700 are still the best overclocking chip (by AMD of course).

Naturally, as do all threads, it quickly turned into an XP vs. Barton discussion, and that wasnt what I said. Then you come along, post in this thread (not once, but TWICE), and THEN you wonder why? Proves you talk first, think later.

I didn't badmouth Bartons, but the fact is they cost more, overclock less, and its a bigger crapshoot than it ever was with a 1700 with a good stepping.

Try re-reading what I said in the beginning, THEN maybe you will understand.

No matter what the subject or the forum, its always the same. No matter what anyone says, someone ALWAYS comes along and plays the smarta**.

The only reason why I brought up bartons is because you also addressed them.

jlin453 said:

btw, don't take this the wrong way
but what exactly is the point to this thread?

I'm not trying to be an a$$, i was merely pointing out the new mobile bartons. Are they a crap shot? We'll wait for people to buy them and test them but for the 3 or 4 who have purchased the same stepping, they've received similiar results (2.5 on air, 2.7 on water).

Reread my post please. I did address the matter of the barton being more expensive. I'm merely responding to your comments like this:

Personally I wouldnt trade my 1700 for 3 new bartons. Its too bad that with this new locking BS that AMD is hitting us with there is little chance of a new hot batch of great OCing CPU's to come out.
^which again is why I mentioned the mobile's, who ARE unlocked.

Seriously, why don't we watch who we're calling smarta$$es next time and stay a bit more calm. No one's trying to be a troll around here.

My 1700 JIUHB DLT3C 0310 makes 2500MHz at 1,79V VCore, but also 2,4GHz @ 1,66V :attn: That rules!
And of course, the new mobile bartons are... terrible- I don't have one :)
But I wouldn't buy one- it is about 130€, and my JIUHB costed about 60€... but I know people making 2,7GHz @ 1,85V or 2,5GHz @ 1,7V(mobiles)... that's of course good, but why should I invest that much money into a CPU which is noch A64??

So we wait for San Diego....

jlin453, then dont ask "but what exactly is the point to this thread?" AFTER you post in it a few times.

That IS being a smarta$$. I did not mean for this to tirn into another xp vs. barton debate, or a my dog is bigger than yours is argument.

Drop it.

i agree with octavian on this matter,most of you forget what overclocking is purely about.

by low, and clock high

the 512 cache on barton has no significant advantage,the amd platform @ 13microns just doesnt benefit a whole lot from it

bartons cost twice the price of tbred and does run warmer, have smaller yields aswell

i've owned 2 bartons unlocked, and both failed to impress me

the price is not horrible for barton but you basically get the same performance with tbred at a lesser cost

im just saying that what i practice is buying bottom speed and pushing it as far as my cooling configuration wil take it

i have 2 duron applebred $37 ea. that have the PR of 3400mhz cpu

with yields like this , i can wait all day for the A64 to drop in price

but i really dont see why a lot of you feel the barton is superior to tbred

the mobile bartons are good for o/c but they come @ the same price as desktop barton

if price doesnt matter to you, a 2.4c @ 3xprice of tbred will outperform both grades by20% or more

This will be my last post, and I'm only posting to answer the question you asked me.

Octavian said:
jlin453, then dont ask "but what exactly is the point to this thread?" AFTER you post in it a few times.

I had no problem with this thread the first time I posted here. I said "I like my barton" simply as a comment, yes I like my barton. Now, I ONLY typed my above quote because you typed this to a member who prefered his barton:

Octavian said:

Why? rather spend more for the CPU, get less % overclock, and have more heat?

I have to ask again, why?

You have your preference and that's fine. I have mine too. But when you question others "I have to ask again, why?", it just struck me as odd because you're looking down on his decision to stick with a barton over a tbred. I understand you like your chip but that's no reason to question others who prefer something else.

If I interpreted wrong, I'm sorry.

As for the definition of OCing, I never said bartons were better overclockers. I gave my reasoning for choosing the barton instead of a tbred, but never did I make the claim that a barton is an outright better overclocker.

jlin453 said:

As for the definition of OCing, I never said bartons were better overclockers. I gave my reasoning for choosing the barton instead of a tbred, but never did I make the claim that a barton is an outright better overclocker.

You answered your own question. Thats what this thread is about, the OVERALL best overclocking CPU. I said it was the 1700. You just said it WASN'T the Barton.

I was saying that for example, when the 0319s came out, how everyone grabbed them because we knew they OCed great. many people bought 2 or 3 at a time, you can find the old posts in this very forum. What is tough now is that with locking the new CPUs, its unlikely, unless they start making unlocked chips again, that a new HOT production week will hit the market as they did before where we could say "week xxxx is great" because everyone was reporting huge sucesses with them.

Its much more of a hit and miss, or pure luck now. And we have to play Russian Roulette with more expensive chips than we were buying last year.

The 1700s were more proven performance, and less of a crap shoot, and cheaper. The new chips are twice the money, a BIG crap shoot, and less overall performance. All newer chips, not just Bartons.

And to be fair, if I knew of a mobile barton, or 2500 stepping that was likely to hit 2.6 or 2.7 I would jump all over it in a heartbeat and give it a shot. But until there is some shred of evidence that a new golden nugget exists, I won't risk the expenxe for a chip that won't even do what my 1700 can.

I am NOT Anti-Barton, not at all. I am Pro-AMD. The 1700 has the proven track record right now, thats all.

We don't need to argue, we are all here for a similar purpose, and as such we have alot in common.

Back