• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The 5.4 Cats are bad? They just came out with 5.5, though.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Okay, I'm going to list the rig that I built, but I had almost a similar problem on a MSI K8T NEO2-F, which I had to RMA. I then replaced the board, and built the same rig again. Here it is (built for a friend with a few of his old parts):

Brand New Parts:
-EPOX 9NDA3J (nForce 3 Ultra)
-Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester
-2x512 Corsair Value PC3200
-Thermaltake 420 watt PSU (adjusted POTs and tested with DMM t0 12.1, and 5.08)

Used Parts:
-9700 Pro and 9600 XT (tried both)
-80b IDE Hard Drive (dunno which)
-Stupid CDRW of his
-His floppy sucks, so I took it out

After everything was installed and good to go with the 9700pro I gave it to him. He installed HL2, got into a server in HL2DM and within 20 seconds the graphics go crazy and then he loses video to monitor. I thought it was overheating, so I went over there and the vid was hot, but definitely not too hot. I put in a 9600xt and ran the game with no problems. I get back into windows and notice that the cdrom disappeared. I check device manager and I see the cdrw with an exclamation. I also see that the audio drivers did the same thing, and the plug and play emulator. WTF?!?! Computer just went wacko. I couldn't get audio/cdrom, or plug and play emulator to work. I even tried driver cleaner on chipset, audio, video drivers and reinstall and still no go.

I took the PC to my house last night and did a full format/install. I installed the new catalyst 5.5 that JUST came out on the 9600xt, and so far so good.

WTF? Were the Cat 5.4 drivers bad? I had a somewhat similar issue on the MSI K8T NEO2-F that I RMA-ed. I tried the MSI on this same rig about 1.5 weeks ago where even on the desktop the computer would screw up, and I'd lose video. Before I'd lose video, though, the mouse pointer would get stuck in a vertical line and could not move left and right, only up and down. It did it on both the 9700 pro AND the 9600xt.

So since I had video problems on both boards with two different cards I would assume that the cat 5.4 was buggy? Dunno... hopefully someone has an answer b/c even though things seem fine right now I need to know, so that I "learned from my mistake(s)."

hmm... I don't know. I have been running 5.4 on my 9800pro for about 3 weeks now with no problems. Maybe the something else was giving you problems?

I don't know, man. After I swapped the 9700 pro with the 9600 xt (which wasn't crashing) I lost audio, cdrom, and plug and play emulator... weird!

I never heard of that!!! What about the 9700?

You HAVE to run AGP fastwrites to get the 9600xt to work?

i wouldnt say you have to run it with fast writes on, i had it off till i read this thread.. just in case. just a little piece of mind between bluscreens, my nf7 hates my ram. to be honest, i havent noticed a difference with it on or off.

Yeah, it's just that I was running into crazy problems whenever there was a video driver installed on the MSI K8T NEO2-F... then when I RMA-ed that and got the Epox NF3 board I was also getting problems when a game was run, and then when I swapped video cards.

Yes, the Omega 5.4 drivers do have the same problems ATI does. I had almost the same problem as godm@n with omega drivers. Upgraded to the latest version and I haven't had it since.

The problem really ate up a lot of my time. It was extremely annoying, but I wasn't 100% sure if it was hardware or software related.

Back