• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Age of the Low-Life.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OMG what a hot topic! I am afraid when we throw out words like fascist and totalitarian (personally my favorite is Nazi) emotions invariably flare. I do not totally disagree with Ed, as there is much that is tasteless and crass in our so-called modern world. However, being a creature of the sixties, I don't find sex, drugs and Rock-n-Roll all that offensive. If I find something to be in poor taste I don't look at it. I would rather not have someone else decide for me what is fit for my eyes and what isn't. I find the existence of a concentration camp in Quantanamo far more offensive than anything that pop culture has produced. The crap we are doing to the planet in the end will cause far more damage to our children than the exposure, or should I say overexposure, Janet Jackson's breasts. I could go on at some length, but really my point is keeping things in perspective. What is really important, and what should be our highest priorities as a society? Well, in the terrible ferment in which we live, I don't think Ed's concerns amount to a hill of beans.

If Ed doesn't like games like GTA then he doesn't have to buy them. It was an interesting and well written article, but I don't see what he's getting so worked up for. Ed mentions the "disgusting cry of freedom" in his article, yet without the freedom that hackers, spammers, and P2Pers hide behind, Ed could be forced to buy games like GTA. The state of gaming may be in peril (not that I think it is), but it could be a whole lot worse.

Additionally, I see the point that Ed is making in this paragraph:
Let's say you got an email from me out of the blue saying, "I want to poop on the floor of your house next Tuesday." I think it a very safe bet you'd say "No." If I then replied, "You're taking away my freedom!!" would you not find me insane?
however, I don't think it addresses the full picture. What if Ed asked me if he could poop on the floor of my house next Tuesday and I said "Okay!" Is Ed saying that I shouldn't have the option of allowing him to poop on my floor?

Finally, this wasn't meant to be a flame or anything, just my response to what I got from the article.

Last edited:
Everything can be done with class and moderation, and you can't blame the makers of GTA for the world's problems, if anything they're helping by bringing certain aspects of being alive on this earth to life for other people to see...The doctor that discovered AIDS isn't responsible for every AIDS case, and if anything he's trying to bring awareness and possibly find a cure......How can they make a video game portraying a simulation of our world...and have it be perfect and dandy when ours isn't?

Last edited:
Maybe a little OT but...

What Ed describes is what I've referred to for years as the Springer* effect. What shows/movies/games like Springer do is sensationalize low-lifes. This type of media sets the example that if you live your life as a slob that they'll make you a star.

*I pick on Springer because it was one of the first and reached great popularity in its prime.

memphist0 said:
Maybe a little OT but...

What Ed describes is what I've referred to for years as the Springer* effect. What shows/movies/games like Springer do is sensationalize low-lifes. This type of media sets the example that if you live your life as a slob that they'll make you a star.

*I pick on Springer because it was one of the first and reached great popularity in its prime.

I don't think that is off topic at all. I think that is exactly the type of behavior Ed is talking about, whether it be in video games, on TV or on the internet. People will argue the crime rate in either direction, but I don't belive that's the worst societal impact of the lifestyle and culture of America. I think it has lead to much of the negative image we have worldwide, and is part of what makes us such a target. We claim we wish to bring to other countries freedom, while standing up for the type of behavior Ed rants about under the banner of freedom. They don't want a society like ours, we quite often fly in the face of all of their beliefs, it is to many extents no surprise they don't want our 'freedom'. Again I feel myself bordering on the edge of politics and religion so I'll stop with this, our culture may or may not be harmful to those growing up in it, it may or may not attribute to violence and other crime, but it certainly attributes to our image on a global scale. With just that and the combination of the former possibilities I think it would be foolish to ignore the problem and continue to cry freedom.

So doing things you don't like does not qualify as proper use of freedom? I'm pretty sure we have freedom of press so that the things that are not liked are protected, not things people will not complain about.

This is what happens when you let liberals run the country. Get rid of decentcy and censorship laws. Kick religion out of schools. Don't let parents discipline thier children. Make honerable boy scouts feel as some clan rally the way ACLU persecutes them. Make legal child murder possible which debases life as a whole. Allow welfare which creates whole classes of people with a lazy entitlement attitude. The list goes on. People today don't even know right from wrong, good from evil or even love thier country but hate it instead...cynical people who will accomplish little that makes them proud.

Last edited:
Beer Hunter, were you aware that there is a prohibition on political speech here? I don't like it either, but, "the rules is the rules."

steve

I agree with Ed completely. I don't find his use of language offense... I find it to be a subtle irony (likely intentional).

In todays "advanced" world, I find it startling just how far and how much humanity's sense of morality and decency has fallen apart.

I think we as a species are on the verge of a massive change, and probably not a good one. Perhaps the change has already occured.

It bothers and disgusts me to hear other young men like myself talking about women in a debase and derogitory manner - all the time. I have friends whom I have never heard refer to a woman as anything other than a *****, even when in the company of women.

It bothers and disgusts me to hear popular music that degrades women and treats them as objects of sexual interest, with no other merit. The popular culture of my generation is that of the dirtbag. I'll use the rapper 50 cent as an example.

50 cent is a dirtbag. He writes popular music that is degrading to women, offensive, and worst of all, completely lacking any artistic merit (IN MY OPINION).

I own GTA San Andreas... and I find it unenjoyeable as a direct result of it's "Low-Life" theme...

*Post Edited by Forum Moderator*

Bypassing the swear filter and political talk. Tisk tisk.

William

Last edited by a moderator:
BH, you and I are in complete agreement!!

That being said, it is still against the Forum rules to discuss political stuff here.

steve

Oh you meant here as in here..not here USA:)

Well Ed's topic was highly political and I responded in kind. Wont happen again..

Take care.

Last edited:
Ed often has political subjects, and we try to skirt the issue, by talking close to politics, but not politics exactly.

I, for one, would LOVE to talk about that woman camped outside GWB's ranch, that is trying to talk to him. You know, maybe, he would have talked to her (AGAIN!) if she didn't have "2005 Impeachment Tour" (I don't know the exact quote) painted on the side of her motor-home. Her wanting to talk to the Pres, is political, but the fact that she has that inflammatory quote on the side of her bus, isn't.

steve

Yeah, I hope I never get broken down in Texas and need to use someone's telephone to call for help, and any of the millions of other likely happenings that would lead to an innocent killing of someone when the rest of the country considers killing in the defense of property to be unjustified and murder (as it should be in my opinion, if you think otherwise, it's the reciprocation of risking your own life to save, say a brick of gold dropping in the river, what would you do?).

Sorry about the not really in depth post, but Texas' gun laws are more Babylonian than anything I've ever read.

Edit because it's not worthy of another post: LOL!!!!

Last edited:
nicspits said:
Yeah, I hope I never get broken down in Texas and need to use someone's telephone to call for help, and any of the millions of other likely happenings that would lead to an innocent killing of someone when the rest of the country considers killing in the defense of property to be unjustified and murder (as it should be in my opinion, if you think otherwise, it's the reciprocation of risking your own life to save, say a brick of gold dropping in the river, what would you do?).

Sorry about the not really in depth post, but Texas' gun laws are more Babylonian than anything I've ever read.

Nick, if you (as an example) had an RV, painted with slogans to kick my friend out of his job, and were picketing him for weeks, and tresspassed on to my property, I might be shooting, too.

Now, if you (or anyone) happened to be driving by, and had a car breakdown, I'd certainly let you use my phone. I'd even offer to help you with it, and even offer you a cold beverage.

I lived it Oklahoma, right next to Texas, and the Texans were, as a group, very nice people. (As were the Okies, too!)

You don't have any problem walking up on a Texan, even if it is 3 AM, unless you are up to something.

steve

nicspits said:
...but Texas' gun laws are more Babylonian than anything I've ever read.

It's called the Second Ammendment.

And, the Second Ammendment is STILL the law!

(You may be right, though. The Babylonians also thought that murder was wrong.)

steve

Texas is rather nice compared to, say, New York. People won't run you down as you walk across the street, and if you're driving, people will let you in when you need to change lanes and such :)

Back