• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Cheapest 4TB HDD I've Ever Seen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
$160? wow thatd be a good deal for a spare large drive.

Currently theyre $189 and until April 4th theyre $179 with code EMCXTVL27

hmm if i had the cash id grab one up to put in my storage drawer... i have a drawer with hdd's that are empty but are lined up to go in the server as it gets full. why? ... well why run tb's and tb's of disks wasting their useful life with nothing on them, raid or not. though these blurays are chewing through it fast though :p

True. Only 4TB hard drives I've seen have either four 1TB platters or five 800GB platters.

Lol, that's not what I meant...

Obviously they can't make (or its not even financially viable for enterprise markets) 4TB single platters, otherwise we'd have like 20TB drives by now lol, 4TBx5 platters

I'm not certain but i believe there are 4-5 platters in there probably 5 if it is a cheapish drive

I can guarantee to you, there's more than one platter in there. seagate is always cheap and always puts a bunch in there drives. i've taken apart about 20 dead seagate drives and almost everyone had more than one platter in it.

I can guarantee to you, there's more than one platter in there. seagate is always cheap and always puts a bunch in there drives. i've taken apart about 20 dead seagate drives and almost everyone had more than one platter in it.
There are very few single platter drives out there, right. If it is a single platter its likely a low capacity drive as the density for a single platter is 1TB (someone correct me if I am wrong there).

As of right now you're correct. at least as far as i know, the biggest drive i've ever taken apart was a really nice 1TB drive with only one platter that died..

I decided to pick one up to give it a try. the one i got so far so good, very quiet and extremely fast with transfers.
Currently using it in a FireWire toaster moving over my media library that is 24/7
Would definitely consider getting a few more of these for a future RAID build and secondary storage.

Back