• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Death of PC Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bad Maniac said:
But that said, hacking/virii coding on Vista is likely to be so much fun that the malware/virus crowd will more or less abandon XP, making it a perfectly stable and secure OS even without further updates.

That sounds almost devoid of reality, XP perfectly stable and secure ever :confused: :sn:

Yeah I know, bizzarre vision of the future isn't it?

Truth be told tho, XP has never crashed once on my current machine, and the last time I had a virus was Blaster, and before that never. So uhm, not sure why people smack XP quite so hard, after SP2 it's pretty damn fast and stable ya know.

I work in a shop selling new and refurbished PC's, anything from ancient musem history P2-300's to P4 1.x and stuff, up to AM2 and C2D's. On older hardware Windows XP original will just run like ****. But if you install SP2, it becomes usable and smooth even at minimum requirement PC's.

I hope Vista will show the same behaviour after a couple of service packs.

As long as Microsoft keeps developing crappy "bloatware" and restricting licensing, the average gamer is going to put of Vista until he or she has to absolutely integrate over. The licensing on Vista is already outlandish, but asking to buy a license after say one or two times? I don't think so. There are probably three things that Micrsoft has going for Vista. Direct X10, Possible improved 64 bit os support, and an improved driver model. Microsoft is facing an uphill battle and are going to be in for a hell of a long battle in the next 5 years. The only reason I would integrate over to Windows Vista is Direct X10. Anything else, I can live without. I have had XP for over 3 years. I'm happy with it and am not going to be shifting to a new os anytime soon.

But if it comes down to it and the community and consumer pressures Microsoft to release a version of Direct X 10 for XP, then Microsoft might have to concede and release it.

aaronjb said:
I hope you're being sarcastic...

Actually, I wasn't kidding or being sarcastic, im totally serious. I use linux way more than windows now btw. I think its alot nicer. Also I was reading some article, forget where, and it had a chart comparing DX9 to OpenGL, and OpenGL has alot more features than DX9, so it doesnt make any sense to me why game developers are using DX. I was also on the OpenGL website today, browsing their directory of software that uses OpenGL, and was surprised by the large amount of comercial and freeware games that use it. I always thought it was just Wolfensteion and Americas Army, but the entire quake series uses it (which reminds me, Wolfenstein uses the quake 3 engine :/) and a slew of other games. I also hear that there are some ways to get games like Half Life 2 and Counter Strike: Source working in linux via wine, even saw screenshots.

with all the new chips intel and amd are making it wont matter how many applications we have open the'll still be another processor accomodating for the extra requirements have.... as for the x-fi... don't worry... vista will somehow come up with a new upgrade that will enable all the use of all your hardware...

Blame Microsoft for its lame and lackadaisical programmers....

what it will come down to... is keeping our "cool" with all these new chips

I am another one of those that only upgrades their rig every 3-4 years (the proof is in the sig). I used Win 98SE until my little sis was a freshman in college. I managed to pick up Win 2k at her bookstore for about $20. This was in '03 or '04. I used Win 2k and I used it until early '05 where I manged to pick up XP for like $50 at her bookstore. The nice part about my copy of XP is it isn't registered (so I don't have to deal with calling Microcrap). Nothing I own is registered in anyway (except my car...). The way I see it is The Man doesn't need to know what I own at all. It's none of his business what I do with it. All he needs is my $$$ when I buy it. So, unless I can come up with a copy of Vista 4 years or so from now for about the same price and NOT have to register it, then I will buy it. If not, then I will do my best to run XP until the end of time.....

Sorry for the rant, just my feelings.....

Marl

No, PC Gaming isn't dead..
Though the reasons mentioned before, I build a rig, (upgrade) every 3-4 years.
Waited with win 3.1,,, 95,,,, 98se,,,, (skipping Win Me or whatever that Junk was),, on too XP Pro....
Which I'll stay with until,, I die most likley.
I'm sic and tired of upgrading every time a new game comes out or M$ comes up with a new OS....

MS changed there mind on the two machine transfers with Vista retail licences on Nov. 2nd.
So, its not as bad as it seemed before.

greenmaji said:
MS changed there mind on the two machine transfers with Vista retail licences on Nov. 2nd.
So, its not as bad as it seemed before.

I still don't like the licence, but that is still very good news!

Let's get some definition straight. So, by saying Death of PC Gaming, we all meant that some time in the future, less and less game will come out on PC, right?

As I mentioned in my other post, gaming industry had grown over the years. It's a 30 billion dollars industry.... bigger than music and movie industry combined. However, PC gaming industry has shrunk. It does seems like we are moving towards the trend that there is a good possibility all games will move to consoles. Personally, i'm moving to consoles. It's just too damn expensive to play games on PC now. Freaking hardware cost a ton, and constant upgrade is emptying my pockets.

Without a mouse, consoles are WEAK! Try getting a headshot with a PS2 "Analog Stick".

JK, I know most new consoles will support mice, but still.

i totally agree that playing first person shooter games with the gaming pads sucks balls. Mouse is definitely the way to go. But i'm all hype up about how you can play Call of Duty 3 with Nintendo Wii. I think that will be the best way to play it. But, I still have not got my Wii yet, so... who knows.....

How quickly we forget that EVERY SINGLE OS that microsoft has released has had a "minumum hardware requirement" that was 3 times more powerful than what you actually needed to run it comfortably. Especially so after you turn off all of the pointless eye candy. I've run XP just fine on 250mhz machines with 128mb of RAM. Granted it was limited to just the basic tasks of internet, word processing, and playing music, but still. If the operating system needs serious hardware to be usable, then you're building it wrong. The operating system is what's supposed to act as a platform for all of the software you run.
The ONLY reason I upgraded from Windows 98SE to Windows XP SP2 was that XP Sp2 had matured for over a year, and offered some features that would save me alot of time when compared to Win2k or Win98SE. Namely better native support for USB devices (not having to reinstall the driver everytime you plug something in), and vastly improved networking that didn't require me to define static settings for everything.

And as long as I can remember I have purposefully avoided running games in DirectX simply because OpenGL has always been faster and more stable.

Last edited:
I'm still on Windows 2Kpro. I'm pretty sure that with the 360, Wii, and PS3 out that is going to draw a lot of the interest from the PC.

i think xp pro is a great platform...

i will use it till they quit supporting it or a game comes out that i absolutely NEED to play that wont run on xp.... even then i see running a dual boot =\.

vista looks so stupid and nooby.. xp even kinda does.. i make my xp look like nt lol. why cant things just be plain and simple ??

jordon said:

i will use it till they quit supporting it or a game comes out that i absolutely NEED to play that wont run on xp.... even then i see running a dual boot =\.

vista looks so stupid and nooby.. xp even kinda does.. i make my xp look like nt lol. why cant things just be plain and simple ??

lots of us think that way, and lots of us run XP like that. you are witnessing - right now - an industry driving its coustomers out of its own market. its silly, and is headed twords critical mass. no hardware roadmap can predict the customers, but playing the bottom line against your own buisness is something you dont need a compass - or a map to see the outcome of.

i dont play chicken with my money against the computer industry, and pretty soon, others wont be able to either if todays "good hardware" is any indication.
*psst! have a look at the sig rules!

jordon said:

Well you won't be playing many new titles. DX10 is going to be the standard for games sooner rather than later and if you want DX10 you will have to have Vista.

How can it be the death of PC gaming when games are written and designed on PC's. If it is the death of PC gaming then it must also be the death of PC's.

pc gaming will always be alive in some sort of fashion. It will very rarely ever be the fault of the game's designers. If there is a market for it, they WILL capitalize on it. That is what our free economic market is all about. When everyone shies away from pcs and goes to the console, then we have a problem. I don't know about you guys but i don't plan on giving up on computer gaming anytime soon so as long as we don't lose heart we won't give the designers too either. This is a money driven market.

Back