• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "I Found a Really Sweet Firefox Extension and Feel I Need to Share" Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

The "I Found a Really Sweet Firefox Extension and Feel I Need to Share" Thread

So every once in a while I find a really sweet FF extension of which I think I need to let people know of it's existence. Seemed like a thread like this could be good for us to share any Extensions we may come across that are too cool to not share. :)

so today I had to send like 15 pictures to my fiance at work. I use Gmail so it can be a pain to attach that many pictures to the email because you have to do it one by one. Welp, a quick Google found this sweet little extension that allows you to drag and drop multiple files in Gmail as attachments. Twas very sweet, I just hit the attach file link in Gmail, which opens the dialog box where you can enter the path to the file, or hit browse to find it. Then you just highlight all the files you want to attach and drag and drop them to this edit box. The extension will then automatically create a separate attach file thinger for each file! Very awesome, IMO!

Here's the extension, hope it helps someone else that experienced my pain of having to attach each file one by one. (And zipping them wasn't an option BTW, but thanks for the thought)

dragdropupload
Drop files into attachment boxes instead of browse for them or type in the filename. Drop multiple files and fill all the entries. In some websites it allows to add new upload files: in Gmail is possible to drop the files directly over the...

Drop files into attachment boxes instead of browse for them or type in the filename. Drop multiple files and fill all the entries. In some websites it allows to add new upload files: in Gmail is possible to drop the files directly over the "Attach a file" link.

A Sidebar allows to drop files from a listing

Here's a pic of what the extension looks like when it works. As you can see, it actually places the extension genereated attach edit boxes below the message instead of above with the rest. Well, besides the first one which you can see is where it normally goes. This was the one into which I drag/dropped, the rest were created by the extension.

So please, use this thread if you come across another little Gem of an extension!

EDIT: Please, if you post a recommended extension, give us a description and perhaps even a link to it. Thanks!
EDIT#2: Perhaps we can compile a "complete" list of essential FF extensions?

EDIT#3: List of essential FF Extensions. I'll try to keep this updated as people introduce more great extensions. (and hopefully some good "gems" will be pointed out)

Adblock Plus
Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Install Adblock Plus now and get rid of them.

Right-click on a banner and choose "Adblock" from the context menu - the banner won't be downloaded again. Maybe even replace parts of the banner address with star symbols to block similar banners as well. Or you select a filter subscription when Adblock Plus starts up the first time, then even this simple task will usually be unnecessary: the filter subscription will block most advertisements fully automatically.
CoLT
CoLT makes it easy to copy either a hyperlink's text or both the link and the link's text (in a format you specify). Two handy context-menu items make this possible, and don't add clutter; the items are only visible when right-clicking a link!

CoLT adds two menu items to the browser's context menu, both of which are only visible when right-clicking a hyperlink. The "Copy Link Text" menu item copies a hyperlink's associated text to the clipboard, while the "Copy Link Text and Location" menu item copies both the hyperlink's text and URL to the clipboard in the format you choose: either as plain text, as an HTML hyperlink, or as a custom format (which you may specify). A very handy tool for blogs!

Example of Use: If the text "Download Firefox" is a hyperlink to the official Firefox download page, the "Copy Link Text" menu item will place the text "Download Firefox" on the clipboard.
DownThemAll!
The first and only download manager/accelerator built inside Firefox!

DownThemAll is all you can desire from a download manager: it features an advanced accelerator that increases speed up to 400% and it allows you to pause and resume downloads at any time!

DownThemAll is fast, reliable and easy-to-use! It lets you download all the links or images contained in a webpage and much more: you can refine your downloads by fully customizable criteria to get only what you really want!

DownThemAll is absolutely freeware and open-source. No Adware, no Spyware.

For more informations,
http://www.downthemall.net/howto/features/
dragdropupload
Drop files into attachment boxes instead of browse for them or type in the filename. Drop multiple files and fill all the entries. In some websites it allows to add new upload files: in Gmail is possible to drop the files directly over the...

Drop files into attachment boxes instead of browse for them or type in the filename. Drop multiple files and fill all the entries. In some websites it allows to add new upload files: in Gmail is possible to drop the files directly over the "Attach a file" link.

A Sidebar allows to drop files from a listing
Fasterfox
Performance and network tweaks for Firefox.

Fasterfox allows you to tweak many network and rendering settings such as simultaneous connections, pipelining, cache, DNS cache, and initial paint delay.

Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with the unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing.

A popup blocker for popups initiated by Flash plug-ins is also included.
FEBE
FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension) allows you to quickly and easily backup your Firefox extensions. In fact, it goes beyond just backing up -- It will actually rebuild your extensions individually into installable .xpi files. Now you can easily synchronize your office and home browsers.

FEBE backs up your extensions, themes, and (optionally) your bookmarks, preferences, passwords, cookies and just about everything else Firefox offers (it can even backup/restore your entire profile).

Version 5.0 allows for user-defined backups. Single files or entire directories can be specified to back up data for programs like Thunderbird, Greasemonkey, etc.

Backups can be performed on demand or scheduled for daily, weekly, or monthly unattended runs.

A comprehensive debug mode allows for troubleshooting complex platforms.
Firebug
Firebug integrates with Firefox to put a wealth of development tools at your fingertips while you browse. You can edit, debug, and monitor CSS, HTML, and JavaScript live in any web page...

Firebug integrates with Firefox to put a wealth of development tools at your fingertips while you browse. You can edit, debug, and monitor CSS, HTML, and JavaScript live in any web page.

Visit the Firebug website for documentation, screen shots, and discussion forums:
http://www.getfirebug.com
Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer
If you use Firefox on more than one computer, you'll want Foxmarks. Install Foxmarks on each computer, and it will work silently in the background to keep your bookmarks synchronized. You can also log in to my.foxmarks.com to manage your bookmarks from any computer.

A simple wizard guides you through the startup process. After that, just forget about it. It's simple and solid.
IE Tab
IE Tab - an extension from Taiwan, features: Embedding Internet Explorer in tabs of Mozilla/Firefox...

This is a great tool for web developers, since you can easily see how your web page displayed in IE with just one click and then switch back to Firefox.

If you need some instructions.
Please visit our official website on http://ietab.mozdev.org
ImageShack right-click
The ImageShack FireFox extension integrates with FireFox and allows you to right-click and upload any image you see online.

ImageShack right-click is an extension for Firefox that allows users to upload images on other websites directly to ImageShack without having to first save them locally.
ImageShack Toolbar
The ImageShack Toolbar integrates with Firefox, Internet Explorer 6.0 and Windows XP and has drag-and-drop, right-click upload, free multiple image upload and many other features.
NoScript
Winner of the "2006 PC World World Class Award", this tool makes Firefox the safest browser around.

Winner of the "2006 PC World World Class Award", this tool provides extra protection to your Firefox.
It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice, e.g. your home-banking web site, and guards the "trust boundaries" against cross-site scripting attacks (XSS).
Such a preemptive approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even unknown!) with no loss of functionality...
Experts do agree: Firefox is really safer with NoScript ;-)
Status Buttons
Lets you put toolbar buttons at either end of the status-bar. Just drag them there from the toolbar customisation window, like you would when adding buttons to the...

Lets you put toolbar buttons at either end of the status-bar. Just drag them there from the toolbar customisation window, like you would when adding buttons to the toolbars.
Text Formatting Toolbar
The Text Formatting Toolbar is a toolbar that allows easy formatting of posts on forums, blog comments and wikis. It supports three formats: BBcode (bulletin board) like used on most forums, HTML, and the format used by Wikipedia.

It is the best! You will be hard put to find a toolbar that provides as much usability as this one does. Besides easily switching between formats, it own Color Picker, and even a drop down menu in the prompt windows as in the screen shot above, it also has other many other features. Partially hard for only a 51.7KB download!

When, for example, you type some text and highlight it with the mouse and click the link button, it will only ask for the link address, and it uses the highlighted text for the link text. Also when adding a list, we don't just have OK can Cancel buttons like every attempt by web sites to do what this extension doe. The Text Formatting Toolbar has Next, Finish and Cancel which makes a whole lot more sense.

Finally, the Text size and Text color buttons remember your last choice. If you want to use it again, you don't need to go to the drop-down menus. Just click the buttons. Now that is smart! There are other features, but you will soon discover them.
Track Package
Track Packages from the right-click menu.

This extension makes it easier to track a package when the web page or email does not provide you with a link to the shipping company's tracking page. Simply highlight the tracking number, right click, and click "Track Package". It will automatically determine which company's tracking page to go to. This saves at least 4 operations by not going through the company's site or Google, saving time. It also has tracking history and auto-link features.

Currently supports:
UPS
FedEx
DHL
USPS
Canada Post
TNT
Purolator
Eagle

See this extension's website:
http://www.trackpackageextension.com
Web Developer
Adds a menu and a toolbar with various web developer tools.
Woot Watcher
Woot Watcher monitors the Woot! web site, and keeps you updated with the current item, price, and if it is sold out.

Woot Watcher monitors the Woot! web site, and keeps you updated with the current item, price, and if it is sold out. During Woot-Offs, it will also let you know what percent of the item is remaining. It can also automatically open a new browser tab or play a sound when the Woot! item changes.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't have anything to contribute since the only extension I use is AdBlock Plus. However, I just wanted to suggest including a small description of what the extension does when you recommend it, i.e. AdBlock Plus (removes advertisements from websites, allows the user to choose a subscription based on location). Just a thought.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything to contribute since the only extension I use is AdBlock Plus. However, I just wanted to suggest including a small description of what the extension does when you recommend it, i.e. AdBlock Plus (removes advertisements from websites, allows the user to choose a subscription based on location). Just a thought.

Definitely a good idea, updated my first post to ask that people do so. Thanks! :)

These are what I am currently using:

Fasterfox

Performance and network tweaks for Firefox.

Fasterfox allows you to tweak many network and rendering settings such as simultaneous connections, pipelining, cache, DNS cache, and initial paint delay.

Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with the unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing.

Adblock+

Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Install Adblock Plus now and get rid of them.

Right-click on a banner and choose "Adblock" from the context menu - the banner won't be downloaded again. Maybe even replace parts of the banner address with star symbols to block similar banners as well. Or you select a filter subscription when Adblock Plus starts up the first time, then even this simple task will usually be unnecessary: the filter subscription will block most advertisements fully automatically.

Firebug

Firebug integrates with Firefox to put a wealth of development tools at your fingertips while you browse. You can edit, debug, and monitor CSS, HTML, and JavaScript live in any web page...

Firebug integrates with Firefox to put a wealth of development tools at your fingertips while you browse. You can edit, debug, and monitor CSS, HTML, and JavaScript live in any web page.
Others I have used in the past are: Torbutton and PDF Downloader.

I guess I'll go ahead and list MY Essentials. I was kind of thinking of this being more of a "hidden gem extensions" kind of thread....but I guess a single thread for all good FF extensions is a good idea. :shrug: And since I like Crana's format, I'll go with that. :)

EDIT: Instead of listing them twice, I decided to just post them in the first post.

Last edited:
Great guys!

I just use Ad Block Plus and Foxmarks for now, I've used them for awhile ;)

Thanks for putting up this thread... I think the only other one I might ad is a woot.com tracker. Saves having to check what you don't need.

Thanks for putting up this thread... I think the only other one I might ad is a woot.com tracker. Saves having to check what you don't need.

Cool! I don't really use Woot, other than occasionally window shopping, but this looks like a cool little extension for those that do. Added to the list. (EDIT: And installed; saves me from having to do my occasional window shopping:) - Though it is sometimes fun to read the comments on the products, especially during a Wootoff. I'll sometimes sit there for a while just to read the comments because they are often hilarious. And it's a great place to get a hold of new-to-me funny graphics :D)

Last edited:
Flashblock for blocking the annoying flash ads that Adblock Plus misses :)

Anything that Adblock misses can just be added to it's blacklist :thup: I've added the myspace music players because I hate going to a page and getting the poo scared out of me because music starts blaring. Not to mention the fact that some of my friends have crappy taste in music. :) (And the option to turn it off by default never seems to work very well)

And one of the most important FF extensions would have to be NoScript Blocker other handy ones are- infoRSS - ScreenGrab - Webmail notifier- TabmixPluss

Back