• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The new Philips 190B6 19" 8ms LCD Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Online Michael

Ok, I'm not a good reviewer, but I thought I would let all you guys here know what I thought of my new 19" Philips 190B6CB LCD monitor. I'm not sure how long this monitor has been available on market, but it seems everywhere I looked (forums I knew, search engines I use), nowhere could I find a review or thread. Anyway, I'm not even sure if this monitor is available in the US, Canada, or any other place for that matter (I live in Melbourne, Australia), so it may pay to do some snoopin around if you're interested in perhaps buying one these babies. So here I go....

First of all here are the specs:

Price: Around US$400, AU$560, CA$520
19" LCD
8ms Response
SXGA 1280X1024 (native)
Brightness (nits) 250
Contrast Ratio 600:1
Display Colours: 16.2M
Viewing Angle: H160, V160
VGA & DVI connections
Built-in Speaker
USB2 port
Headphone socket

However, one of the best aspects of this monitor is that it comes with a 3 year "0" bright pixel warranty (I think this only applies to Australia, but I'm not sure).

Ok, so I brought it home as an early Christmas gift for my son and couldn’t wait for him to open it so I could see inside. After checking the contents, I discovered that no DVI cable was supplied :cry: I was looking forward to using the DVI connection more than anything and since I just purchased a new PCI express motherboard and graphics card, which also has a DVI connection, I was really looking forward to it. Oh well, I guess VGA will have to do for now...

Anyway, so I disconnect my old HP 17" CRT, removed it from the desk, and placed the new toy proudly where I thought it should go. My first impressions were...OMG!! This thing is huge! Black, beautiful and oh so big! I then started to plug all the cables in, carefully read the instruction leaflet just to make sure I didn't miss anything, and then sat back in the chair for a final look before switching her on. BTW, did I mention how beautiful she looked?

At this point I began to worry slightly. After reading all the raving reviews regarding the Hyundai L90D+ and having not read a single review on the Philips, I wondered if my choice was a good one or a very foolish one. I knew I would be safe on the dead pixel issue, but who cared about a dead pixel here and there when all of the sudden I was facing the possibility of having an all round crappy monitor and no-one else to blame but myself... So with only one way to find out, I pressed the button and started my computer.

First came the usual bios stuff (huge letters and numbers I thought), then the XP splash screen (not bad), and finally the logon screen. Wow! Did I mention how huge this thing is? Compared to my 17" HP CRT, this thing already looked unbelievable even without any adjustment.

After logging in, I was presented with the windows desktop (and this was an even bigger WOW moment). Knowing full well that I was looking at a resolution of 1024x768 and that this was not the native resolution of the monitor, I still couldn’t believe how good everything looked. The text was sharp and the colour and bright which was great, however, for some reason it seemed too bright (the monitor was set at 100 brightness). Additionally, no dead/stuck pixels to be found anywhere! Yeh! :)

Comparing this to the HP was like comparing newspaper images to magazine images – no contest. Even at the 1024X768 Resolution. So I thought ok, let's see this baby in 1280X1024 so I quickly proceeded to change the display properties and there she was... in all her glory... the greatest sight I had ever witnessed! Mesmerised, I just sat there glued, entranced, and almost weeping with joy! Everything was so clear, sharp, and full of colour, that even now, after some 10 hours of use, I still can’t believe what I'm seeing. And with all that extra desktop real estate, I really never knew what I was missing. I mean, I've seen 15", 17", and 19" LCD screens in action before (mainly in offices), but I had never seen one that was this bright, sharp, and colourful to look at! In the end, I had to turn both brightness and contrast down to 50 (the whole room light up when playing in the dark).

Three hours later, I went to my local computer store and purchased a DVI cable. I wasn't expecting a huge improvement as I've read some people saying how they hadn't noticed any difference. Well my friends don't believe everything you read because on top of the great results I found under VGA, DVI absolutely blew me away!!!! Crystal clear, super sharp text you could only dream of!! And I'm not kidding when I say that this monitor is the single best computer related purchase I have ever made. I can’t believe how happy AU$560 has made me. My son, who will use it most, will probably remember this day for a long time to come. My friends, life simply does not get better than this.

My son, who is 14, sat next to me as I did all of this. I recall his jaw dropping several times before loading his favourite game... World of Warcraft. Now, I'm not much of a game nut and I couldn't care less about most games, but I just couldn't wait to see what he had to say about the monitor while playing the greatest game there is (so he says) :rolleyes: .

Once World of Warcraft was set to 1280X1024, it was magical. Colours and characters seemed to jump up at you, and the sharpness was really something to behold. There was no evidence of ghosting or tearing and the responsiveness was just fantastic. My son must have thought all his Christmases had rolled into one... the lucky son of a gun!

But was I so use to my old HP CRT that I was oblivious to everything around me? I'm not sure, but I realised one thing... the CRT is dead. If it's not dead, it's on its last legs. In fact, I think it's probably already buried! I mean, if your CRT blew up today, would you honestly go out and buy another one, or go for an LCD?

The Philips 190B6 is an excellent monitor and anyone who has got one will also tell you the same thing, I'm sure. Thank you Philips, thank you oh so very much. Now, I’m gonna buy one for me! :santa2:

I did notice what I believe to be leakage right at the beginning (the first time I switched it on), either just before or immediately after the windows splash screen (cant remember exactly). It appeared at the very top of the screen, in full width, and about 2-3cm down. But the funny thing was, that was the first and only time I saw it. It hasn't happened again since that one time. Could I have managed to fix the leakage by fiddling around with the monitor settings perhaps? Is it possible to overcome in this way?

Oh, and the blacks are just great. With the contrast and brightness turned down now to 50 and 50, it couldn't be any better!

Here is a link to the Philips Support web site for further info:http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...cat=LCD_MONITORS_CA&sct=LCD_MONITORS_18_19_SU

Does anyone else own this model monitor? Anyone?

Last edited:
I've been eying this one off now for a week or so and was trying to decide between the BenQ 937s, Samsung 913V and this Philips 190B6C. I think you might have made my mind up for me....

Where in Australia did you find it for $560? The cheapest I've seen here in Adelaide is $620.

hey STEVIE G.. i just myself the BENQ 937s and its the best of the BEST 19" LCD... no ghosting, absolutly NO LEAKAGE... a great competitor of them all... i give it 10 out of 10..
you will never regret it....

SNieX

to Online MIchael
What is font on LCD ? Is it good clearly? And is video good too?
Thanks

pete88 said:
to Online MIchael
What is font on LCD ? Is it good clearly? And is video good too?
Thanks

Sorry for the slow reply guys. To answer your question...EXCELLENT. I have never, in my wildest dreams, ever seen a screen so sharp and clear (in native 1280X1024 resolution that is). If you run it on say 1024X768, the picture is not as sharp but it still beats the old CRT hands down and that’s no bull! Games are full of colour, detail, and clarity. Blacks look black (or as black as you can get it on LCD) and NO ghosting what so ever. You wonder how on earth they can improve on this.

We have had the monitor now for around 2 weeks and I am amazed today as I was the day I bought it (btw, got it from MSY Computers in Melbourne. MSY).

Guys I am telling you this.... 3 YEARS, ZERO bright/dead pixel WARRANTY and the SHARPEST and CLEAREST picture you will ever see. No crap, just total peace of mind! Why would you want to risk it? For less than $600, you can't go wrong! As a matter of fact, I will buy one for myself by the end of this month... Christmas is too far away and I'm just itching to get one of my own (why should my son have all the fun :) ).

If you want to go the Benq way, that may also be a good option but I have not seen it and cannot compare. Personally, from the images I've seen of the Benq, the Philips looks better too.

Last edited:
to "Online Michael": Has got this monitor any defect? Or is perfect ?
to "johnmcc516": Where is review about this monitor? I don't find it.

pete88 said:
to "Online Michael": Has got this monitor any defect? Or is perfect ?

Pixel perfect. The one thing I disliked about LCD monitors in the past was if you bought one and there was a dead pixel or more, there was nothing you could do about it. Now you're covered for 3 years! Some cover you for 7 days, but Philips give you 3 years! That's got to say something for the quality. Don't you think?

Online Michael said:
Pixel perfect. The one thing I disliked about LCD monitors in the past was if you bought one and there was a dead pixel or more, there was nothing you could do about it. Now you're covered for 3 years! Some cover you for 7 days, but Philips give you 3 years! That's got to say something for the quality. Don't you think?

Thanks, I'm going to buy it next week too. It costs US$480. This is a good price in my country - Czech republic.

pete88 said:
Thanks, I'm going to buy it next week too. It costs US$480. This is a good price in my country - Czech republic.

Something tells me that the 3 year zero bright/dead pixel warranty is not available in all countries. Have you checked?

Online Michael said:
Something tells me that the 3 year zero bright/dead pixel warranty is not available in all countries. Have you checked?

yes, "the 3 year zero bright/dead pixel warranty" is in my country too. I enjoy it.

Philips 190B6 Lcd Monitor

I too have just purchased the Philips 190B6 monitor and frankly I can't believe my eyes. As a gamer I was a little unsure in regards to the slow response times on early LCD monitors,but this little beauty is rated at 8ms and plenty fast enough in the games. I paid Nz $673.00. Going to get a DVI cable and see if there is any change. Must admit it will be interesting as analogue is very impressive

Hmmm I dislike built in speakers... Else I would prolly get one of these, also it looks like it is only 6 bit, I prefer 8 bit LCD's , do you see any color issues due to it being only 6bit?

John NZ said:
Going to get a DVI cable and see if there is any change. Must admit it will be interesting as analogue is very impressive
I never thought I would see much of a difference but let me tell you now... 'AMAZING' is not strong enough word to describe it. Trust me, the difference will be immediately noticeable.

lordkosc said:
Hmmm I dislike built in speakers... Else I would prolly get one of these, also it looks like it is only 6 bit, I prefer 8 bit LCD's , do you see any color issues due to it being only 6bit?
Color issues? What the...? Dude, the only issue I have is my lack of money to buy myself one! :cry:

Re DVI Connection

Online Michael said:
I never thought I would see much of a difference but let me tell you now... 'AMAZING' is not strong enough word to describe it. Trust me, the difference will be immediately noticeable.
Well got theDVi cable today,and yep there is a difference. I can see details I never saw on a CRT. I'am one happy Dude. As for colour issues,there are none.If you think you have some load the driver for the monitor and get the right colour profile for your LCD monitor.

Online Michael said:
Color issues? What the...? Dude, the only issue I have is my lack of money to buy myself one! :cry:

I'd prefer to see it in person, wish I could find one around here at Best Buy or Circuit City, and 6 is different from 8 bit screens, especially if you do video editing and or photo-shop.

Oh and :welcome: !!!

Back