• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official 3870X2 Reviews Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
reminds me of the voodoo5 600 days.... the length anyway, doesn't look very dominating to me, more ppl will be buying it for the novelty than anything, i can pick up another 8800gt and have it stomp the 3870x2...

Review by DailyTech - http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10429

They speculate that the price of that card would be around 400$, and if thats true thats pretty sweet.

Thanks for the link! :beer: I read it, and it turns out they just wrote a cover story that links back to FPSLabs benchmarks. Wish they'd done their own so we'd have another viewpoint on these...

They do mention the NDA lifts tonight at midnight, although I'm not sure what timezone that midnight is relative to :confused:

By looking at older 3870 benchmarks, a 3870CF setup typically outperforms an 8800GT SLI setup anyway. CF seems to scale better than SLI in most games that support both.

Looking at the FPSLAB article, I would call a single 3870X2 vs. 8800GT SLI a draw. They each win a few and lose a few benchmarks. Hardly what I'd call "stomping". If you are a gamer and already have a 8800GTS or GTX, I see no reason to rush out and buy a 3870X2. But as a benchmarker, I plan to get one. Looks like the 3870X2 does quite well in 3Dmark06.

Agreed with Batboy -- 3DMark06 is a strong point of the RV670 core, especially in crossfire. I'm less than 400 points away from a 20K score with a 24-hour-stable-overclocked 8400 processor and a pair of lightly OC'd 3870's on Vista64. A suicide run at 4.5Ghz and 900/2800 clocks would probably net me over 21K; even more if I would step down to an XP32 operating system and strip out some services.

I very much expect a pair of X2's on a heavily OC'd quad to pop into the top 10 (or higher) in the overall 3DMark06 scoreboard in the very near future.

Curiosly how the heck is the GTS 512 faster than the 8800 GT SLi setup? Since 1 gts is ijust a slightly higher clocked GT with a few extra shaders?

Curiosly how the heck is the GTS 512 faster than the 8800 GT SLi setup? Since 1 gts is ijust a slightly higher clocked GT with a few extra shaders?

Because, just like crossfire, there are many games that don't have driver support for multiple-GPU setups. Thus, some games actually go slower with multiple GPU's versus a single GPU.

Typically, a driver update will "fix" these sorts of situations.

Agreed with Batboy -- 3DMark06 is a strong point of the RV670 core, especially in crossfire. I'm less than 400 points away from a 20K score with a 24-hour-stable-overclocked 8400 processor and a pair of lightly OC'd 3870's on Vista64. A suicide run at 4.5Ghz and 900/2800 clocks would probably net me over 21K; even more if I would step down to an XP32 operating system and strip out some services.

I very much expect a pair of X2's on a heavily OC'd quad to pop into the top 10 (or higher) in the overall 3DMark06 scoreboard in the very near future.

Not doubting you, but do you have an ORB link of a near 20k under Vista?

I have this screenshot for a 19,378. I played with a bit more overclock (875/1275) last night and hit 19,6xx but it wasn't a big enough change to warrant me making a fuss yet.

I don't own the "professional" version of 3DM06, but you can still see the score I linked above here

I have this screenshot for a 19,378. I played with a bit more overclock (875/1275) last night and hit 19,6xx but it wasn't a big enough change to warrant me making a fuss yet.

I don't own the "professional" version of 3DM06, but you can still see the score I linked above here

Dang, E8400 at 4.3Ghz. Haven't really been keeping up on how those are OC'ing.

Wonder what the 45nm Quad's will OC to.

Dang, E8400 at 4.3Ghz. Haven't really been keeping up on how those are OC'ing.

Wonder what the 45nm Quad's will OC to.

Sadly, the new quads seem to have a much lower FSB wall that's prohibiting massive OC's. Unless of course you've got the money for a Quad Extreme with the fat multipliers... I hope / assume that later spins of the 45nm quads will see much relaxed FSB walls that will open up the overclocks to similar levels.

Back