• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official 3870X2 Reviews Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just wish you guys would just make up your minds.

"Better break out the duct tape--I think he's gonna BLOW!"

I love how I'm the biased one when you refuse to look at the reviews you claim don't exist, and then take my wording horribly out of context?

your funny

It's pretty much fact that the 3870X2 wins in most benchmarks against the Ultra. A few games like Crysis that don't scale well with crossfire are still dominated by the 8800 series, and the nvidia folks are always quick to point that out.

It's also well known the ATI drivers are immature and barely working for the 3870X2. Once the Cat 8.2 and especially the 8.3 are released, you'll start seeing the 3870X2 come alive. By that time though, nvidia will be releasing the 9800GX2 and the tide will probably change again.

Last edited:
Well, I did it. I ordered the Visiontek 3870x2 along with some upgrades for my laptop and a 2nd Viewsonic vx2235wm(22" wide). I already have my triple monitor stand from Dell, so I guess I need to get that assembled before the 2nd monitor arrives. When I can afford it, I'm gonna grab a 2nd 3870x2 and a 3rd 22" viewsonic for some Triplehead2go action. :beer:

Hmm...don't see HOCP's review on that list.
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ1NCwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

They also did a follow-up discussing methodology, since their conclusion was radically different compared to almost evrey other site.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ2MSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
That discussion on methodology may be deserving of more discussion elsewhere as well.

So pretty much the "real world results" say that a single 8800GTX is the better card? I can understand that.

I don't take the article as biased at all. I think they followed a proper testing methodology. When they stepped away they went right back to proper methods (different settings in Crysis originally, then compared properly).

However, I will say that people should evaluate how similar their situation is to the methodology used before making a decision based on that article. Do you game at really high resolutions (expensive LCDs/CRT)? Do you max out AA/AF and eyecandy and run at <40fps? Do you play games that don't benefit from multiple GPUs? Etc etc.

If so, this is a great read. If not, try to find a review that tests in the same way you test and/or play.

Me personally, I game at 1600x1200 with settings as high as I can get them without studdering. I'll wait for mature drivers to make a decision, but if I had to pick today I'd probably get a GTX over an X2 (or a GT/GTS over either).

Nice article though.

Been playing with mine, along with my 2nd Viewsonic vx2235wm monitor. Loving it so far, big step from the x1800xt!

3dmark_06_x2.jpg

And the "multi-monitor gaming" feature doesn't work like a TH2go, so I just ordered one, lol. Now I just need a 3rd monitor.....

Yeah, it's Visiontek. I was on my desktop and my monitor went black and the fans on the video card fluctuated. There was also a red light that was lit up on the video card when it died. I tried a different set of power cables and no dice. At first it'd work on boot-up, then the screen would go black, but now it won't even boot and it beeps at me.
I popped in my x1800xt and all is fine. No big deal though, I need to focus on school today anyway(taking game design at art institute).
But on a good note, the 3870x2 eats up every game I throw at it and spits it out with ease. Even Vanguard runs INSANELY good and that's saying alot, because that game eats up systems.

Back