• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official ImageQuest/Hyundai L90D+ Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes Neptune, I will post more pics later tonight, of comparisons between it and my Diamondtron. I'm pretty busy until then though, so it may be pretty late tonight, around 12 - 1am EST. I've got a VB project due tomorrow I'm going to be up pretty late on. I'll try to fit in the tests and comparisons somewhere in there.

MonroeM said:
Yes Neptune, I will post more pics later tonight, of comparisons between it and my Diamondtron. I'm pretty busy until then though, so it may be pretty late tonight, around 12 - 1am EST. I've got a VB project due tomorrow I'm going to be up pretty late on. I'll try to fit in the tests and comparisons somewhere in there.

Thanks ,monroe. Whenever you have the time will be fine :beer:

MonroeM said:
Now, addressing the issue some other owners of this monitor brought up before, yes, pictures do look much more "digital" than on a CRT monitor. I found by lowering the brightness to 60 (default was 80/100), this issue can be tackled.

and..

MonroeM said:
I exited out of HL2 and loaded up Photoshop (I do a lot of photo restoration and editing) and tested out the colors. NO TWINKLING. In fact it looked just as good as the Sony buzzin' along right beside it.

Hi MonroeM..!

I'm doing a fair bit of photo editing and color correction as a hobby photographer, so issues like color fidelity and lack of color dithering is important to me. Are you saying that these are non-issues with this TN panel?

If so, I think that I'm finally ready to drop me old Sony 17" Trinitron CRT. :p (although I will be getting the Samsung 913N/915N-version here in Denmark).

Best regards, stoff

www.stoffersphoto.com

Hello Stoff! Welcome to the forums.

Indeed, there is no more twinkling than my Sony Diamondtron NF 19", as a side-by-side comparison. Regarding pictures looking "too digital", as I said in another thread, almost any monitor, if the brightness is cranked up high enough, will make any picture look "digital". For clarification, when I say "digital", I mean the compression of the picture, which is apparent on almost any monitor, CRT or LCD, if the brightness is high enough.

Basically you can tell the picture has some compression in it. I own one Diamondtron (now) and the L90D+ and side-by-side, the L90D+ is twice as crisp and clear. This is not to say that the L90D+ is abnormally sharp or clear, but there is an obvious amount of detail that yields higher on the L90D+ than even my Diamondtron.

Stoff, I also do some photo restoration and image editing and I've recently discovered that this monitor is so much nicer than my previous Sonys. The color is perfect, vibrant and accurate, and the picture is sharp. In all honesty, the picture may be too sharp for some coming from CRT monitors. Most LCDs are much sharper than most CRTs, as I've experienced.

This is indeed a great LCD and would suit you well being an image editor, IMHO. I know it has, me.

I will also be updating my review today sometime. I didn't get around to it last night but I will be addressing some other aspects and qualities of the monitor, along w/ a few other functions I previously forgot to mention.

MonroeM said:
Hello Stoff! Welcome to the forums.

Thanks!

MonroeM said:
Stoff, I also do some photo restoration and image editing and I've recently discovered that this monitor is so much nicer than my previous Sonys. The color is perfect, vibrant and accurate, and the picture is sharp. In all honesty, the picture may be too sharp for some coming from CRT monitors. Most LCDs are much sharper than most CRTs, as I've experienced.

This is indeed a great LCD and would suit you well being an image editor, IMHO. I know it has, me.

This sounds really awesome. Can it really be that low response time and high color image quality is finally combined into one LCD? :thup:

Thanks a lot for your quick feedback. Now, where did I put that creditcard again? ;)

Best regards, stoff

Stoff said:
This sounds really awesome. Can it really be that low response time and high color image quality is finally combined into one LCD? :thup:

Thanks a lot for your quick feedback. Now, where did I put that creditcard again? ;)

Best regards, stoff

I'm getting this LCD in about 4 hours.... :clap:

I've done alot of advertisment type, photo reproduction, and photography...
photoshop is my life, as well as a great hobby.
(boy, I wish I didn't always run out of ink like I do...lol)

anyway, I'll also be testing this LCD with photoshop, and since my eyes are so picky, it will be tested from an ex-pro.

hopefully, with monroem's and my reviews, you will have a clearer picture of what we are seeing. (pun's are fun.)

mica

I just got this monitor. I must say the IQ and colors are beautiful. Absolutely no black light bleed through. I do notice really slight ghosting in FPS but I have really fast eyes.

covana2244 said:
I just got this monitor. I must say the IQ and colors are beautiful. Absolutely no black light bleed through. I do notice really slight ghosting in FPS but I have really fast eyes.

I'm not sure if I'm noticing this, but it whole image seems to blur when I turn fast (and not as fast as I'd like to).

also, my mouse pointer is nothing but one big blur when I move it...
I'm sure I need to fix something, I just don't know what.

btw, my eyes are fast too.
I'm sure we just need to get used to this.

still testing.

edit: I'm quite sure I'm not seeing any ghosting....
just in Farcry, I notice some bluring when I turn fast (my settings might be too high and instead of what I normaly notice as stuttering, it now might look blury.)

RTCW is fine...no blur.

mica

Last edited:
micamica1217 said:
I'm not sure if I'm noticing this, but it whole image seems to blur when I turn fast (and not as fast as I'd like to).

also, my mouse pointer is nothing but one big blur when I move it...
I'm sure I need to fix something, I just don't know what.

I don't notice any blur while playing T:V. I did at 1024x768, but not at the native res. Also, my cursor turns into a slight blur when I move it fairly fast. I don't think this is a response time thing either. Move your cursor over a black surface (presuming you have the default white cursor) then move it over a white surface. If it were a response time issue, the movement over the black surface would blur more.

It definitely takes a little getting used to if you've used a CRT for a long time. I came to the realization that it's a) not a CRT and b) it's not a .001ms RT.

OK folks, here are my first thoughts on the L90D+ (now that I'v Played with it a little)....

gaming seems quite fine, even with crazy online action.
I've tested Doom3 and RTCW.
I also quickly tested Farcry, but I think my settings were too high...I need to retest this after I eat some food.

video playback (movies) is quite good.
wow, the colors are far better then my old CRT.

no light bleeding at the top or bottom...even lighting, I'm happy.
colors are far better then my old CRT, they seem to "POP" right at ya.
the L90D+ also is far brighter then my old POS...I can now clearly play dark games in a brightly lit room. :bday:
(no more..."SHUT THAT LIGHT OFF!!!!" my lady will be happy.)

there is the smallest amount of "BANDING" in this image:
BLUETEST.jpg

you realy have to look for the banding, but it's there.
(most will never notice it.)

it does not look as bad as this (not even close):
sample_scale.gif
I just noticed that the image above from anandtech, now looks even worse then it did on my CRT.

while I have a lot of testing to still do, I must eat or die... :p

yes, I have a dead pixel. it's in the lower right corner, far out of the way of things.
(just above the clock in the task bar)
I never notice it while gaming.

must eat.

mica

hey even my crt blurs when i move the white cursor over a dark (black) background. Especially if it let it sit for a few seconds then move it.

hey guys, this lcd is so cheap and good im cosidering to sell my 17" viewsonic vp171b for it... in fact im gonna offer it in a while :D

well, compusa seems out of stock and its resellerratings sux!!! is it still advisable to get it from em?

well, after toying with the new lcd for a while, i'm very disappointed and feel like i've wasted $400. i primarily play d3, and since i have an nvidia card, there is no triple buffering which means if i play at the native res, i have to disable vsync. the problem is that when vsync is disabled, the tearing is unbearable. i've never seen something so bad.

anyway, i set it to 1024x768 + vsync and the montior lags to the point of unplayability. even in the game menu, the mouse lags as tho it were an old wireless. if you're used to crt's and thinking about getting an lcd, don't! i'm guessing the lag i'm feeling is the 8ms response time, but 8ms is enough to make me play like a newb.

the ghosting isn't that much more than a crt, but if you're looking for it, you'll find it. i suppose that all depends on your eyes, but mine have become accustom to crts over the past 20 or so years.

as for iq, it's beautiful. pictures do look sharpened, but then they're digital pics being displayed on a monitor with a .29 pitch. you just can't get the same look as a monitor with .24 or such. i still like the looks of the pictures, tho, so don't count this as a downside.

i was really hoping for a great monitor for gaming, but am sorely disappointed. for now, i would recommend getting a ctr over an lcd if your looking to game. if there's something i'm doing wrong, please let me know...the woman's not to happy that i'm not happy.

ps, i'm using dvi, if that matters.

pRS317 said:
well, after toying with the new lcd for a while, i'm very disappointed and feel like i've wasted $400. i primarily play d3, and since i have an nvidia card, there is no triple buffering which means if i play at the native res, i have to disable vsync. the problem is that when vsync is disabled, the tearing is unbearable. i've never seen something so bad.

anyway, i set it to 1024x768 + vsync and the montior lags to the point of unplayability. even in the game menu, the mouse lags as tho it were an old wireless. if you're used to crt's and thinking about getting an lcd, don't! i'm guessing the lag i'm feeling is the 8ms response time, but 8ms is enough to make me play like a newb.

the ghosting isn't that much more than a crt, but if you're looking for it, you'll find it. i suppose that all depends on your eyes, but mine have become accustom to crts over the past 20 or so years.

as for iq, it's beautiful. pictures do look sharpened, but then they're digital pics being displayed on a monitor with a .29 pitch. you just can't get the same look as a monitor with .24 or such. i still like the looks of the pictures, tho, so don't count this as a downside.

i was really hoping for a great monitor for gaming, but am sorely disappointed. for now, i would recommend getting a ctr over an lcd if your looking to game. if there's something i'm doing wrong, please let me know...the woman's not to happy that i'm not happy.

ps, i'm using dvi, if that matters.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy w/ your purchase, pRS317. To clear a few things up.

The monitor's refresh-rate only goes up to 60Hz, which means that you wont be able to see any higher than 60FPS w/o tearing, which you seem to be experiencing. About lagging, it is highly doubtful that any "lag" you are experiencing is related to the fash 8ms response-time. Could you explain in further detail what is happening? I'm curious as to what you mean.

That sucks though man, I'm sorry you don't like it.

well, d3 caps the fps at 60 and i got ferocious tearing. with vsync enabled, there is no tearing at all.

i really can't explain the lag any better than to describe it as how gaming with a first generation wireless mouse felt. you move the mouse, but the image doesn't move immediately and continues to move after you stop. it's not overly exaggerated, but it's enough to make d3 unplayable.

the odd thing is, there isn't any mouse lag on the desktop, but if i'm in the game menu the mouse cursor does lag. i'll have to try it out in far cry, but even if that game doesn't have lag, i play it only about once per week while i play d3 at least 5 days per week.

i would really love for this monitor to be as resposive as a crt b/c it has such a nice picture. but for now, my blurry, dying crt is better for gaming :(

i think your problem is just that, something in your system didnt like it... try forcing to 75Hz via drivers and see if that helps, also vsync is advisable wether its crt or lcd... no need to force your hardware more than what your monitor is able to chew out

pRS317 said:
well, d3 caps the fps at 60 and i got ferocious tearing. with vsync enabled, there is no tearing at all.

i really can't explain the lag any better than to describe it as how gaming with a first generation wireless mouse felt. you move the mouse, but the image doesn't move immediately and continues to move after you stop. it's not overly exaggerated, but it's enough to make d3 unplayable.

the odd thing is, there isn't any mouse lag on the desktop, but if i'm in the game menu the mouse cursor does lag. i'll have to try it out in far cry, but even if that game doesn't have lag, i play it only about once per week while i play d3 at least 5 days per week.

i would really love for this monitor to be as resposive as a crt b/c it has such a nice picture. but for now, my blurry, dying crt is better for gaming :(

It sounds like you're experiencing something different. I highly doubt the monitor has anything to do w/ mouse lag. I could be wrong, however I've never heard of something like that relating to a monitor.

VSync will eliminate your tearing problems pRS317, this is just something us gamers have to live w/ when we use LCD monitors. LCD monitors have refresh-rates around 60-75Hz which can only synchronically display those FPS, the same as CRT monitors, which usually have higher capable refesh-rates (85-100Hz sometimes). Once you go above what the monitor is capable of displaying, you get tearing. That is of course where VSync comes in.

It's not the end of the world, IMHO. I had to enable VSync too and I'm not complaining that I'm only getting 60FPS in FarCry or HL2. The trade-off is worth it though; image quality at the expense of moderate frame rates.

Hopefully you get the mouse-lag problem fixed as I'm sure that is annoying. I can't think of what it could be. Maybe uninstall/reinstall D3?

the drivers don't allow anything above 60...the option isn't there even if the hide unsupported rates is unchecked. the option is also not available in the refresh override section.

i fired up far cry for a quick trial and didn't notice the lag as badly as i did in d3, but then it's a lot slower of a game than d3 is. also, it was just a brief testing with no online gaming, so my story might change after doing so.

i do like vsync, but there's just no way it will happen at the native res for this monitor. i just can't play when the fps suddenly drop from 60 to 30.

there is no way that d3 is displaying above 60 fps....it's capped and won't render above 60. so it's obviously not the 60 i'm complaining about, it's the 30 when i do vsync at the native res. this doesn't happen at 1024x768 as i'm able to do a constant 60.

also, i reconnected the crt after gaming with the lcd and there was no lag. i then popped the lcd back on and it and the lag was back. the only explanation i can come up with is the 8ms response time. if the monitor takes 8ms to diplay an image, it'll appear lagged. but since the desktop is not showing the lag, i can only guess that the graphics that are being displayed affect the response and that 8ms is the best that the monitor can do rather than what it does under every circumstance. this is all conjecture, but it's the best i can come up with.

i'd lean more toward a reinstallation of drivers than the game. i may just try that out, but i'm not going to get my hopes up.

Last edited:
pRS317 said:
i do like vsync, but there's just no way it will happen at the native res for this monitor. i just can't play when the fps suddenly drop from 60 to 30.

That's not the way VSync works. If you're dropping down to 30fps in D3 w/ VSync on, you'll be dropping down to 30fps w/ VSync off too. Your card is still chugging away like normal when VSync is enabled.

Also, I think PhobMX meant 60Hz, as it is the highest/only refresh-rate this monitor supports.

i have a 6800gt which doesn't have triple buffering. the frames only drop to 30 when vsync is on at 1280x1024. when it's off or i'm using a different res, i get 60. if i had an ati card, it would probably be a nonissue :( i can post screen shots if you'd like, but i really have no reason to lie. i'll have to dig up a few links that explain this as i read about it before i experienced it.

i was thinking that phobmx thought i may be using analog, which can go above 60.

Back