• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official ImageQuest/Hyundai L90D+ Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i've only reinstalled the vid drivers and the pics are after. i'm putting my monitor in the for sale forum and will be fiddling with it in the mean time. i may do a complete reinstall, today or tomorrow, so i'll post any changes. i'm really hoping someone else who has a dual display can do what i did to see if it's an isolated case.

for those not following both threads:

just called hyundai and they did say that there is lag and that it is due to the 8ms response time. the csr went on to say that it should be barely noticable, but if you're used to a crt, you will notice it. so the crt will display the image 8ms before the lcd. i wish i would have made that call before jumping the gun :(

also, the support number on hyundai's website isn't exactly correct. a message gives this number, so if anyone else decides to call, i'll save you the toll call :)

1-800-568-0060

It's too bad you didn't realize that ghosting is one of the reasons many gamers still have not switched over to LCDs.
This has always been one of the tradeoffs of going to an LCD monitor vs. using a CRT.
You keep on saying that your lag is due to the 8ms response time. While that is true, it's also important to keep in mind that at this point 8ms is the fastest response time for a retail LCD. In other words your problem would only be exacerbated on most other LCDs.

Yeah, you probably should've tried gaming on a similar monitor (response-wise) at your local store. (20/20 hindsight ;) )

But since this is only happening in Doom3, I can't see how it's the monitor's fault like you believe. The lag should be in everything. Maybe try hooking your CRT up and use 60hz refresh rate at 1280x1024 to simulate the LCD conditions and see if it does the lag thing...

Inositle said:
Yeah, you probably should've tried gaming on a similar monitor (response-wise) at your local store. (20/20 hindsight ;) )

But since this is only happening in Doom3, I can't see how it's the monitor's fault like you believe. The lag should be in everything. Maybe try hooking your CRT up and use 60hz refresh rate at 1280x1024 to simulate the LCD conditions and see if it does the lag thing...

with Doom3, all he's getting is 60fps anyway...remember, it's caped at 60fps.
I've tested Doom3 at 1280x1024 at 1024x768...I still can't get that lag.

pRS317,

let me see if I get this straight...
you get this "lag", but no ghosting?

and this is caused by the 8ms responce times?

think about it, at 8ms lag, per sec, then after about an hour of playing...
you would be about 10 sec behind in video.
so you look right, and it takes 10 sec before it now moves the view on the panel.
the longer you play, the longer the delay...and it will keep adding up as time goes by.

this delay your getting has nothing to do with the responce times, IMHO.

the responce times have to do with how fast a pixel can change colors.
not how fast the screen can change it's display when you move.
you would notice ghosting way before any delay.

sorry, but I still think you got a lemon or there is something compleatly wrong with windows/drivers.
(I know you changed drivers, btw.)

ask anyone, I tell it like it is...
I have not been owned in my online games yet, and I would love to find a flaw with this LCD.
I'm quite harsh in my review of the L90D+, and I would clearly notice some type of lag in my gaming (online or not).

btw, what other types of games have you tested?

mica

pRS317,

Not to make you sound stupid but if this is your first LCD (which I think it is) are you sure you know the difference between lag and ghosting? I think what you may be experiencing is some ghosting and consider this lag. Just making sure you know the difference.

I was just looking around for some more reviews on the L90D+ and found a pretty nice review over at the [H]ard|Forum.

Link

Pretty good pictures of the packaging and comparison shots.

[Posted this in another thread, but thought it would fit better here]

I recevied mine from Tigerdirect. It's a wonderful monitor. I was playing FIFA2005 on it last night and all I can say is WOW!

Unfortunately, mine has a noticeable green "dot" in the upper left quarter of the panel, which I assume is one or more "dead" pixels. Does anyone know what Hyudai's dead pixel policy is? And how would I be able to determine if this is actually just one pixel or multiple pixels. The dot itself is probably a little larger than this .

Also, 2 questions (1) how does portrait mode work? In other words, how do you shift the image after you phsically rotate the monitor? (2) What is the best way to manage the cables? There is a hole at the bottom of the stand that I have fed them through but that seems to inhibit being able to rotate the screen. (Oh, as an aside, do you need to keep the kotter pin that you had to remove to adjust the stand height, or was that just there for shipping purposes?)

Despite the dead pixel(s), so far I am very pleased with this monitor. I have had no issues with color rendering, although I have noticed that lower quality jpegs can look grainy. My laymen's explanation would be that, it's as if the monitor is showing so much detail, that it is highlighting the defects in the image that I did not notice on my CRT. On the other hand, a standard high quality snapshot from a digital camera look perfectly fine.

Inositle said:
I was just looking around for some more reviews on the L90D+ and found a pretty nice review over at the [H]ard|Forum.

Link

Pretty good pictures of the packaging and comparison shots.

yeah, and someone posted a link, right back to our fine review of this LCD also...
afterall, we have the best user reviews going. :cool:

mica

gorham09 said:
Also, 2 questions (1) how does portrait mode work? In other words, how do you shift the image after you phsically rotate the monitor? (2) What is the best way to manage the cables? There is a hole at the bottom of the stand that I have fed them through but that seems to inhibit being able to rotate the screen. (Oh, as an aside, do you need to keep the kotter pin that you had to remove to adjust the stand height, or was that just there for shipping purposes?)

1) You have to rotate the screen/resolution in your video card's drivers, in Display Properties within Windows. w/ Nvidia drivers, it's under the "NVRotate" option, and I'm not sure what it is w/ ATI drivers. I heard it was something called "VersaView". Not sure about that though.

2) I've found there are two easy ways to manage the cables. The first, just let 'em hang out. Give them some slack too if you use portrait mode. The second is: while sitting in front of the monitor, grab the cord on the right (power) and string it IN FRONT of the monitor stand. This is also the best way to use portrait mode. You can then hide them behind the stand.

3) Don't worry aboutt he kotter pin, it's just for shipping purposes.

Originally Posted by gorham09
Unfortunately, mine has a noticeable green "dot" in the upper left quarter of the panel, which I assume is one or more "dead" pixels. Does anyone know what Hyudai's dead pixel policy is? And how would I be able to determine if this is actually just one pixel or multiple pixels. The dot itself is probably a little larger than this .
Not sure about their policy, but from what I have heard, Samsung is the only company with a "0 dead pixels" policy.

Mine has the exact same problem - a stuck green pixel, though mine is in the lower left, and if I use the monitor for a while (over 2 hrs), it will start to go away. I believe this is called a stuck subpixel. Namely, the green subpixel (there are red green and blue ones for each pixel) is stuck ON.

Originally Posted by micamica1217
think about it, at 8ms lag, per sec, then after about an hour of playing...
you would be about 10 sec behind in video.
I believe what he is referring to is the 8ms lag from when the monitor tells a pixel to change its settings to when the pixel finishes changing. In this sense the output of the monitor will always be about 8ms late, but never 10 seconds.

Thanks for the information on portrait mode that's good to know. I have an nvidia card so I will have to try nvrotate.

RyanJohn2.7t said:
I believe what he is referring to is the 8ms lag from when the monitor tells a pixel to change its settings to when the pixel finishes changing. In this sense the output of the monitor will always be about 8ms late, but never 10 seconds.

-------
edited for clarity:
yet he is getting a delay of up to 60fps at the time of his pics.
sorry, but this can not be happning because of the responce time.
-------

I'm talking about what the rep told him...
he is stating that his noticable lag is caused by the 8ms responce time.
this, can not be the case.
(and is what the rep on the phone is telling him.)
remember that it takes 8ms for an individual pixel to change colors, not the screen.
many of the pixels will never change colors in Doom3, as many of them will remain "BLACK".

some pixels will take 20ms responce times to change colors, some will take 10ms...
GHOSTING, is what he will see far before the lag.
and if there is a LAG from the LCD, then it will remain so, getting more and more laggie over time.
a posable "BLUR" or "bluring" could posably happen if the pixels can not compleatly change as fast has he is turning...creating an unsharpness in image.

my point is, does the lag build up over time? nope.
could he ever notice a lag in gaming due to the LCDs responce time of 8ms?
not unless he can see a round comming out of a 357mag.

he is clearly seeing something else.
due to a bad LCD, vid card, windows/driver, or some other matter.
again, he would clearly see the ghosting first...he does not.

mica

Last edited:
Tom's Hardware has done a review of this monitor, comparing it to others with the same panel.

Find it here

It's a really glowing review. It looks like my skepticism about a cheap and good LCD monitor was unwarranted. They do some pretty comprehensive testing; anyone contemplating purchasing this monitor should give the article a read.

Anyone have any thoughts on the video quality on this monitor?
So far my videos are a bit grainy. It's liveable but is there anyway to improve this?

Does this monitor come with a DVI cable or do I need to purchase one. I just ordered from Chiefvalue after all the glowing reviews here.

Back