• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official ImageQuest/Hyundai L90D+ Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey guys, I had to register here, because I've been reading these posts for the past week, and have just placed my order for the L90D+. I've joined the club. Should be here on Thursday, so I'll be able to write some impressions then. I didn't want to miss out on all the chatter going on about this monitor. :)

Error Macro said:
Hey guys, I had to register here, because I've been reading these posts for the past week, and have just placed my order for the L90D+. I've joined the club. Should be here on Thursday, so I'll be able to write some impressions then. I didn't want to miss out on all the chatter going on about this monitor. :)
Welcome to the forums, have a nice stay.

Playing through videos and dvds, the video quality does not seem to be as bad as I originally had thought. I'll have to see some more before I come to judgement on this facet.

I'm really curious as to the video quality on this monitor. After reading Toms review, they seemed to suggest that the vid quality was extremely poor. It'd be nice to have a happy medium- where the gaming qualities of the monitor didn't require that the video element would be poor.

Dont expect much from the Video quality. Its definately not as bad a that riview suggested though.............then again all those other top notch LCDs had the same problem

roy_jones said:
I'm really curious as to the video quality on this monitor. After reading Toms review, they seemed to suggest that the vid quality was extremely poor. It'd be nice to have a happy medium- where the gaming qualities of the monitor didn't require that the video element would be poor.

DVD playback is quite nice regardless of the review...
the author is just complaining about the poor viewing angles.

read my full review on page 2

mica

OK so here are my impressions

I play Mechwarrior Mercenaries in an extremly competative league. If there are any gamers out there that are looking for serious sim team oriented combat with more depth than that frag fest check out the link. Anyway back to what I was saying, its an older game engine that is optimized for DX8 and with most LCD's I have tried I have had major blurring and ghosting to the point of being sick to my stomache. I jsut got done spending about 3 hours playing with relativly little problems, because of the engine there is a very small ammount of blurring but I worked that out with a couple of settings.

Doom 3 ran like a champ and its been nothing but a complete pleasure to work with.

From what I can see driver support is minimal but I can live with that 2. I am not going to comment on dead pixels as I don't want to jinx myself but lets just say there is nothing to report on that front.

Yes the buttons on the thing are rather cheesey but then again I don't care, I mean how often do I actually adjust the settings.

on my teams comms I kept saying, "You know what the best part about a 19" LCD is? I get to reclaim my desk."

as far as image quality goes. I find it completly acceptable. I still have a 17" CRT hooked up to it and have no complaints. Yes it can be a bit grainy but thats what LCD's do.

I think the base and stand for it are very good quality and the rotating landscape feature is very nice indeed.

All in all I would give this monitor a 9.5 out of 10

You really can't beat the price point on this thing nothing in the same price range comes even close.

Just to mention I am running it on the DVI out on my ATI 9600pro

sorry about that mica - I misinterpreted what you were saying, thought you were actually suggesting that it was possible for the response time to add up in that way.

I absolutely agree that his delay cannot be happening because of the response time.

I also agree that this is not likely the monitor - I believe pRS317 mentioned that turning off the shadows in doom eliminated the "frame drop" ... if this is the delay being referred to - then I don't believe it is at all possible for the monitor to cause it. I am not arguing as to the fact that there is a problem - I am just really curious what is causing this (I don't want to run into a similar issue when I upgrade my video card)

pRS317 - I don't know if you mentioned trying this in any of the threads - but would it be feasible for you to borrow a friend's videocard, see if there is a way to eliminate the problem by changing the source of the video signal? That might help to determine if the lcd is just uncapable of outputting like you want, or if there is another (unfortunately $$) option available to you.

ryan

Is it normal for there to be a certain amount of "ghosting" when you drag windows back and forth on the screen? And the display output looks nice but it just doesn't look as good as i thought it would be. I'm starting to wonder if its not my video card or display drivers. I have an XFX 6800GT just like pRS317 and i'm hooked up via DVI @ 60Hz.

I'll have a new X850XT PE in a couple weeks maybe (if it every ships) so possibly its a video card issue?

Alot of you have ATI cards so i'm starting to wonder here...

UPDATE: Maybe its just me but things seem better now that i switched to Analog and set the refresh rate to 75Hz. The lag seems to of dissipated somewhat when dragging windows quickly across the screen. Is that because i switched from 60Hz digital to 75Hz analog?

Last edited:
mata2974 said:
Dont expect much from the Video quality. Its definately not as bad a that riview suggested though.............then again all those other top notch LCDs had the same problem

The video quality is as good as any other TN panel. Even though the L90D+ has really good color reproduction its still only a TN panel and TN panels aren't true 24-bit LCD's like an S-IPS or PVA panel. This is why they mention the dithering during video playback.

You just can't have everything when it comes to LCD Technology. You ither get a fast gaming panel or you get a panel thats descent for gaming and is true 24-bit.

Wohoo! I am pleased to report that my stuck pixel problem has mostly resolved itself. My big green dot is now a much smaller dot and even that starts to flicker and for the most part goes away (with the occasional flicker that's really only noticeable on black or dark colored screens) after about an hour or two of use. I am thrilled that I will not have to deal with an RMA.

I played more FIFA 2005 last night, worked in a few word documents and then played the demo for Republic Commando for about an hour. I noticed no lag, tearing or ghosting in either of the games. However, I will admit, I only play single player, and I am sure that multiplayer FPS'ers play at an entirely different speed. The text in the documents was also very crisp.

I also tried a dvd and quite honestly wasn't very impressed with the playback quality- although the dvd itself may have played a role in that (I grabbed the first thing I saw on the shelf which was Legionnaire- don't laugh I bought it for $3). The transfer itself may have been poor.

Regardless, when the picture was blown up to full screen the image was pixellated and there did seem to be a twinkling effect. (I view the screen from about three feet away). It really isn't much of a factor for me though since I don't really use my computer for watching DVD's.

P.S. I have an NVIDIA Geforce6800 Ultra

burningrave101 said:
Is it normal for there to be a certain amount of "ghosting" when you drag windows back and forth on the screen? And the display output looks nice but it just doesn't look as good as i thought it would be. I'm starting to wonder if its not my video card or display drivers. I have an XFX 6800GT just like pRS317 and i'm hooked up via DVI @ 60Hz.

I'll have a new X850XT PE in a couple weeks maybe (if it every ships) so possibly its a video card issue?

Alot of you have ATI cards so i'm starting to wonder here...

I tested this using a white background (newegg's site) at full screen, and this site windowed.....
I draged the window, fast, from the uper left to lower right.
I too noticed a small amout of ghosting.

if I draged the window normaly, there was no ghosting.

let me just stress that I'm not used to seeing any ghosting and that at first it realy poped out at me.
it was only a small amount, and I had to move the window realy fast to notice it.

since I have a dark desktop background, I didn't notice it when I tryed it.

mica

burningrave101 said:
What video card do you have gorham09? Have you tried video played with the monitor hooked up to Analog and set to 75Hz? If you havn't please try it and tell me if there is any difference.

I have tryed only the DVI cord, and retail copys of DVDs...
in the few movies I've tested, I'm quite happy with the quality of image.

maybe it's the brightness and contrast settings I'm using?
I don't think that it's because I'm using an ATI card.

it could also be the software being used too...try a differant software.

mica

edit:

burningrave101 said:

good find bro...clears that right up.

Interesting threads....Like I said, I only tried one DVD and it could have been of questionable quality. I also thought it was a widescreen, yet it was only displaying in what appeared to be 4:3. Again, it could have been the DVD.

I will try a recent widescreen release tonight and see if things are any different. I am using an Nvidia Geforce 6800 ultra with the latest officially released drivers. I have the contrast at the default around 80 and the brightness at around 60. I am using DVI. My card does not have analog connectors, only dvi. I do have another computer hooked up through the monitor using the analog, but that computer is using an old radeon card.

I have not tried window dragging, but, to be honest it wouldn't surpise me if there was ghosting there. I'll give it a try tonight though.

I had to back off to Forceware 65xx last week because of a problem I was having. I'll update to 71.81 tonight and post my results as far as video is concerned.

I've been waiting to buy an LCD. Now's the time. The price and performance convinced me to finally pull the trigger. I should have it by friday. I play Enemy Territory and CS Source somewhat competitively; so hopefully it doesn't hinder me too much. :)

Back