• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The OFFICIAL UT 2003 Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

I wanted to start this so we could all share tips and tricks. Oh, and FYI:

UT2K3 ROCKS SO HARD THE ENTIRE NORTH AMERICAN TECTONIC PLATE IS SHAKIN', BABY!

OK? So if you haven't yet downloaded the demo, get it here:
http://www.unrealtournament2003.com/?downloads

Got it? Installed it? OK, let's get started...

Well, the first thing I notice is how many more polygons are displayed. It doesn't seem like you need a mega machine to handle them all, either. Though you will need more horsepower if you want all the 'goodies' turned up all the way.

The four maps (two DM, one CTF, and one Bombing Run/BR) all look beautiful. If there is a drawback so far, it is that the darker maps seem to be a little 'Quakeish.' But that's only a function of textures used and level design. Nothing that a little Unreal Editor (2K3) can't take care of. It also sounds like they ripped off some of the Quake sounds generated when you 'pick up' items. I liked the original Unreal sounds better. The outdoor map (DM-Antalus) is really lush. The pine trees are gorgeous and did you notice the moving shadows below them (yes, I know, the trees don't seem to be blowing in the breeze, just the shadows...). I also noted that some of the lighting effects show through the branches 'unnaturally,' but it's the best looking/most realistic looking level I have ever seen. The grass is very realistic and adds the extra dimension of being able to hide/creep around in the underbrush. The rocks/boulders aren't just flat hexagonal cylinders any more. They all look organic. From what I understand, the new editor allows one boulder/clump of grass/object to be modeled and then the developer can squish/stretch/resize/morph the objects so that multiple rocks and trees (etc.) can all look different but take up less video memory. This one model, infinite variations approach is what makes all the extra polygons viewable without a huge performance hit. It looks and works well, I think!

The water effects and reflections are better than before, and though still not perfect (this has got to be a major programming headache to make water work and act correctly), it is the best out there right now.

The ground modelling is also much improved due to the availability of more polys. Hills and sand dunes look much more realistic than anything else out there.

One thing I did notice about the level design is that it seems that invisible barriers can be put into place to keep players 'inside the field of play' so to speak. That is to say that the barrier boxes can be made into very complex shapes to accomodate game play. Level designers in the original UT had to be very careful of their boundries because cunning players would always find any flaws and take advantage of certain areas that could be (unintentioned by the designer) reached that were easily defensible and hard too see or otherwise give a player undo advantage by camping threre all day.

So much for how it looks--how about the weapons? (see next post)

Last edited by a moderator:
On how it looks like Quake: Well, so what? The people at Epic games must have taken a lesson or two from the masters of Deathmatch at iD Software. I actually enjoy this game, whereas I didn't enjoy the original UT. Like I've stated before in other threads, I think this is because they make it a bit more like Quake, so it's easier for true Quake gamers to switch over to UT.

The levels (at least the 3 I've played: the 2 DM ones and the BR one) are very nice and pretty. Lots of eye candy, and well layed out. Water looks really cool in this game, but it doesn't move quite right. It reflects stuff perfectly, but it doesn't actually move when you run through it or anything. It just makes a swishing sound when you run through it; it doesn't impede your movement like it should.

The weapons are very nicely rendered and true to the original UT, save for one. The Lightning Gun is just a Railgun w/ a longer cooldown time. Great for sniping, but not much else (I do like the way the electricity arcs around if you miss your target, however). Other than that, I like the guns that I've seen so far in this game, but they're pretty much just like their original UT counterparts w/ better rendering and such. The assault rifle owns the Enforcer, however, as a starting weapon.

no impact jumping with the hammer or telepunting! can you rocket shoot people across a level like in face?

OK--Here is the list of the new weapons with my take on them:

Lightning Gun--This is the 'replacement' for the sniper rifle. It's basically a sniper rifle with a trail. No doubt, this was changed to make 'camping' less appealing. No more hiding in a dark corner all day. Personally, I think some maps do well with a sniper rifle, but UT2K3 is supposed to be all about action... I'm sure there will be lots of discussion on this one.

Rocket Launcher--Three barrels instead of 6. I've noticed that rocket jumping on a single rocket isn't as effective any more. No grenade launcher. That's left to the assault rifle now (see below). Primary fire shoots one immediately. Hold down secondary for 1 to 3 rockets. Hold secondary and then primary fires a close in spiraling pattern (looks impressive). Otherwise pretty much the same.

Flak Cannon--Not much changed here. Shrapnel doesn't bounce around as much. Secondary fire grenades don't seem to travel as fast or far. Still a good close in weapon.

Minigun--Primary fire is about the same. Secondary fire shoots 'explosive' rounds. The rate of fire is the same, but I wonder if the explosive rounds are less accurate...

Bio Rifle--Seems to be about the same as the original.

Link Gun--[formerly known as the plasma rifle]-This pretty much acts the same as the original with a couple of caveats. First, the charges from the primary fire seem to have a little more kick--and they look uglier than the original (IMO). Secondly--and I haven't had the chance to try this out yet--the 'Link' part of the link gun is that you can fire secondary at a teammate who has a link gun and increase his firepower. Up to two can add to a single player to get really wicked power (someone let us know how this works--it is difficult to get strangers on a public server to cooperate on this).

Shock Rifle--Not much changed here, though damage on the combo has been reduced. The combo effect is really nice though! With the InstaGib mod, secondary fire invokes a scope like that of the lightning rifle.

Assault Rifle--The new default weapon (no more pistols). This is basically a sub-machine gun with grenade launcher mounted underneath (think M-16 with optional launcher). Has a higher rate of fire than the chain gun, but probably less damage per round. The grenades don't travel as far as the original rocket launcher's secondary fire.

Thanks for this tip, EyelessFace...
As for the starting weapon, it is much better... no more enforcer rampages (it was pitiful that double enforcers were more dangerous than miniguns) - it is inaccurate, like a machine gun should be - as for the grenades, they kick ***! You can charge them up to shoot longer distances, bounce them off walls into people, etc, etc.

Shield Gun--Out with the piston, in with the Shield Gun. Primary fire charges the piston like effect--though it takes longer. And, yes, you can 'hammer jump' with this weapon. Just not as high as with the piston. Secondary fire emits a forward facing shield that can deflect enemy weapons. It doesn't seem to completely protect you and this function drains charge from the weapon. The weapon automatically recharges. The shield lasts for a good long time on a full charge, though.

Translocator--Though not a weapon per se, it can still be used to telefrag opponents. The differences with the new translocator are a) It is a charged device--i.e. you can only use it so much before it requires a recharge. b) Once set, it won't move. So, no more telepunting. I don't think it can be damaged any longer either, so no remote telefragging by killing enemy translocators. EDIT: It turns out that you can indeed 'kill' a remote enemy translocator module. Once it takes enough damage, it will start spewing sparks. BUT UNLIKE the original, you can recall the module without being telefragged (or taking any damage at all). Furthermore, the remote camera CONTINUES to function (I haven't tried unloading 100 rockets into one yet, though). When you activate the remote camera, you can see the sparks before you might teleport, so you can recall it instead. You can still walk over your own module to pick it up (if you can get to it by walking, that is). c) Remote camera. THIS IS THE COOLEST! To activate the remote camera function, Select the translocator and (primary) fire it where you want. Instead of (secondary) right-clicking to move there, SELECT it again (with whatever key you have set to select it with). You will have a remote movable camera at that spot. You can then select another weapon and move around. When you are ready to view the camera again, select the translocator twice. (the first select will put the 'recovery module' back in your hand). It is interesting to note that the further away you move from your translocator, the darker and grainier your remote picture transmission gets.

Redeemer--I will assume that this weapon works the same as before. None of the demo maps supplies a redeemer, and I couldn't 'summon' one like before in practice.

Ion Painter--Again, this weapon was not available (that I could find, anyway) in the demo maps. Supposedly you point this like a laser designator at a target and instead of a smart bomb, an orbiting satallite sends down a particle beam that anhilates the area. This should be interesting.

Other goodies next post...

Last edited:
el said:
no impact jumping with the hammer or telepunting! can you rocket shoot people across a level like in face?
The physics model is SO much better (well, more realistic) than the original--more sophisticated. Bodies (dead or alive) aren't displaced as much near explosions. Items stacked will all fall if something underneath is disturbed. Bodies will fall 'realistically' down inclines. No more 3/4 bodies hang over ledges--they will slide down and tumble over based on actual location. I didn't see as many giblets as in the original. Hopefully, there will be an 'increased gore' option for us deviates.

I REALLY dislike the lightning gun. Even ignoring the horrible
graphics on the scope, it is a ****poor replacement for the
sniper rifle. (I seldom USE the scope with the UT sniper as
it just slows me down... No, I dont camp much.....)

I like the double jump a lot as it enables me to jump OVER the
lightning gun so I wont even pick it up.

I disabled auto-weapon switch on pickup in the options, and it
works for single player, but seems to be overridden in net
play.

Other weapons are OK, just need to practice more I think.
I do miss the 8ballcannon with its grenades and 6 shot.
This rocket launcher is just like Quakes. The spiral looks nice, but
serves no purpose.

Have to disagree about the startup weapon. I would frag you
10 times with double-enforcers before you killed me once with
this assault rifle thing.

This game rocks... thats all I can say.

I like what they did with it... it is better than the first one from what I can see.

Sure, the lighting gun can be used as a sniping weapon, but it is best fit to action (instead of complaining about it, USE it!) - a good player would be able to use any weapon, cause you arent always going to have a RL next to you when you start out.

As for the starting weapon, it is much better... no more enforcer rampages (it was pitiful that double enforcers were more dangerous than miniguns) - it is inaccurate, like a machine gun should be - as for the grenades, they kick ***! You can charge them up to shoot longer distances, bounce them off walls into people, etc, etc.

IMO, it looks like the designers have done a good job, and I am looking foward to buying the game when it is released!

What I see everyone missing is the death 'animations'. It seems that whenever you die the body goes limp and instead of haveing a scripted death animation like previous games have had, your body can end up in any position. I personally have been expecting this to come and I'm very pleased with the results. Go and get fragged and see for yourself. It's very cool! :D

-DarkArctic

I think it sucks. Boring, I know my video card is bad, but i've seen it with a 9700 before and it still doesnt look all that great. I think i'll stick with Asherons Call 2, at least theres something to accomplish there. I think halo has better gameplay as well for that kind of a game.

BruceLee, what did you expect from UT2k3? Philosophical fufillment? It's a DM game. It's not going to be an amazing event that will leave you feeling all spiritual and stuff.

As for the dead bodies, I noticed that myself, and I really like it. They fall and move and roll properly, just like bodies (probably) would.

Shields--It seems that UT has done away with the concept of 'armor' and has gone to 'all force-field' defense scheme. Shields are available in 50 point and 100 point varieties. You can achieve a total of 150 (if you pick up 2 100's you only get to 150). Like the shield belt, you will take no damage until your shield level gets to zero. You can see shields on others only when they have been hit by weapons fire (or fall off of something high enough). If armor is available, it wasn't shown on these demo maps.

Health--Looks to be exactly the same. Start with 100, max at 199. Blue crosses are the medi-paks and add 20 points to a max of 100. Vials add 5 points and max at 199. Keg's-O-Health look the same (OK, more polys) and add 100 points to a max of 199.

Adrenaline--A new addition to UT is Adrenaline. You get it with capsule shaped power ups OR by killing opponents, capturing flags, scoring goals (and probably a few other things). You get your adrenaline score up to 100 and a voice yells "ADRENALINE" to warn you that you can now do a few special things. I'm somewhat hesitant to give it ALL away here as some of you like figuring this stuff out on your own--so I won't spoil it here--yet. If you have to know and will die otherwise, PM me and I'll give you a hint.

OK, on to my review of gameplay.

Adrenaline does the following (I'ma give it away! :D)

WWWW = Speed (Move really fast)
SSSS = Booster (Regen)
WWSS = Berserk (Extra fire rate and damage)
DDAA = Invisibility (Duh!)

All that's done w/ the default control scheme. Modify it to fit your scheme if you use a different one.

Last edited:
You CAN Kill an Enemy Translocator

I need to alert you all to a 'weapon edit' above. It turns out that you can indeed 'kill' a remote enemy translocator module. Once it takes enough damage, it will start spewing sparks. BUT UNLIKE the original, you can recall the module without being telefragged (or taking any damage at all). Furthermore, the remote camera CONTINUES to function (I haven't tried unloading 100 rockets into one yet, though). When you activate the remote camera, you can see the sparks before you might teleport, so you can recall it instead. You can still walk over your own module to pick it up (if you can get to it by walking, that is).

I have to make note of something that I watched in amazement! Try shooting some projectile and/or exploding rounds into the puddles of water (they are available only in the DM maps). You can actually MAKE HUGE WAVES!!! The effect is ESPECIALLY pronounced by using the flak cannon in the puddle in DM-Antalus (where the bio rifle is parked in the little island in the puddle). For even more fun, get the power amp with the flak cannon and fire into the puddle.

Pretty amazing programming if you ask me!

anyone else completely dissapointed with this game? i thought it would at least be a good engine, but its really nothing better than quake 3, even though its been hyped/*****d by hardware sites for months. ill probably check out the full version at a friends house or something, i doubt it will be any better. back to counterstrike... (uhhg this game is getting boring, when is someone going to release something that isnt a piece of crap???)

ps. bf1942 deserved to be good but somehow failed, all the guns and infantry combat are terrible, half the guns dont seem like they ever hit... bah! gaming industry.... stop sucking.

Demont: Better start coding and model-making then :rolleyes:

The truth is that DM games just arent innovative anymore! Period! It's just more of the same. Least UT2k3 looks pretty.

Back