• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My dad recently replaced his 8800GTX that died the other day. First artifacting then leading to no boot at all. I know he's happy with his 5850 that he purchased, but he did give me the dead card. I think I'll try this when I get time and see how it works out.

Let us know how it goes. :)

man I had slight/average artifacting before now I got major artifacting going on. Baked her for 9 mins.... wonder If I should run her again in the oven?

Try to find someone around you who can do a real repair on it or search on ebay for a repair service.

You mean, try to find someone like you, right? And you'd probably do the same thing and charge for it...

I guess I should post here too. So today I got some used hardware for really cheap (e6750 + p5k + 550 watt psu + 2gb ram). However I did not have a graphics card. I knew my friend had a 8800 gts which was broken (artifacts). We decided to try the graphics card. It worked but it had artifacts everywhere. We then did the oven trick, we preheated the oven for a few minutes (we had the oven at 200 C). The heatsink, thermal paste and stickers were removed. We had it in the oven for 10 minutes covered by a foil sheet and 2 balls of foil beneath the card, the other end was held up in the air by the backplate.

We put everything back together and turn on the computer and no artifacts :O! Once we got to windows we tried it in CS:S and no artifacts.

This is really unbelievable how well it worked, I was so sure it wouldn't work. Truly amazing! Respect to the guy who suggested this in the first place!

I guess I should post here too. So today I got some used hardware for really cheap (e6750 + p5k + 550 watt psu + 2gb ram). However I did not have a graphics card. I knew my friend had a 8800 gts which was broken (artifacts). We decided to try the graphics card. It worked but it had artifacts everywhere. We then did the oven trick, we preheated the oven for a few minutes (we had the oven at 200 C). The heatsink, thermal paste and stickers were removed. We had it in the oven for 10 minutes covered by a foil sheet and 2 balls of foil beneath the card, the other end was held up in the air by the backplate.

We put everything back together and turn on the computer and no artifacts :O! Once we got to windows we tried it in CS:S and no artifacts.

This is really unbelievable how well it worked, I was so sure it wouldn't work. Truly amazing! Respect to the guy who suggested this in the first place!

This is so cool, I might try to kill mine and then do this!

Fiio e3 of mine has a loose opamp, gonna try this trick. Changing the cook time go 5m because the entire circuit board is the size of my pinky. :eek:

Lol, it worked. I had a 7900gt that started artifacting really bad at least three years ago. I tossed in a box and forgot about it. I pulled it out this morning and it would checker board artifacts over the entire screen. Popped in the over for about 7 mins. Fired it up and it seemed better, only a handful of random colorful pixels. I ran some benchmarks on it and now the colorful pixels are gone and it works fine. I even overclocked it a bit.

+1 for subby

Wow! I just tried this with my old Dell e1705. It has 7900 gs. I set the temp to 385 degrees and left it in for 6 minutes. Now it works again! :D

Don't know if this has been posted before, but this is an occassion where the trick did not work. :eek:

It's failed on me 3 out of 4 times. And the one time it worked for me didn't last that long (Xbox 360, so it's not surprising).

Just wanna pop in here and say this works on motherboards as well.

Are you sure? :eek: :p

It worked for me on two 8800 gts's, both were dead....a 320mb and a 512mb G92 core. I sold the G80 core, and am writing to you now using the G92 one LOL.

However, I did try the oven trick on an 8600gt...I accidently let it in just 30 seconds too long and the solder melted to the point where the capacitors fell out....and as soon as they touched the hot metal underneath a couple of them blew up! Smoke filled my basement, harsh fumes, bleh. I think because it was a much smaller card, and I didn't take that into consideration. 375 degrees for 5 minutes only, I let it in 7 minutes and that was too long.

I use a small countertop toaster oven to roast my hardware (LOL).

It worked for me on two 8800 gts's, both were dead....a 320mb and a 512mb G92 core. I sold the G80 core, and am writing to you now using the G92 one LOL.

However, I did try the oven trick on an 8600gt...I accidently let it in just 30 seconds too long and the solder melted to the point where the capacitors fell out....and as soon as they touched the hot metal underneath a couple of them blew up! Smoke filled my basement, harsh fumes, bleh. I think because it was a much smaller card, and I didn't take that into consideration. 375 degrees for 5 minutes only, I let it in 7 minutes and that was too long.

I use a small countertop toaster oven to roast my hardware (LOL).

TOASTER OVEN?!! You newb!! :)
By your 8800s being DEAD, what do you mean... NO POST?

Man, I was so excited trying to oven trick every single time. It's sad it hasn't been helpful to me really. :(

My best success was using a heatgun on my 360s, but nothing ever lasts.

TOASTER OVEN?!! You newb!! :)
By your 8800s being DEAD, what do you mean... NO POST?

Man, I was so excited trying to oven trick every single time. It's sad it hasn't been helpful to me really. :(

My best success was using a heatgun on my 360s, but nothing ever lasts.

LOL, not like a two slice toaster like you are thinking I guess. One like this one-

http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=7&ved=0CD4Q8gIwBg#

More like a convection oven.

Both just had no display.

LOL, not like a two slice toaster like you are thinking I guess. One like this one-

http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=7&ved=0CD4Q8gIwBg#

More like a convection oven.

Both just had no display.
I know what you meant.
I never thought of using that, but I have a digital temp display on my oven so that's why I trust my REAL oven. hehe

I stunk up the kitchen a few nights ago and I asked my fiance if she minded... she's like I LOVE THAT SMELL OF ELECTRONICS!! What a weirdo!

I loveeee the smell of FRESH electronics, like a new mobo, not burnt parts!!

I know what you meant.
I never thought of using that, but I have a digital temp display on my oven so that's why I trust my REAL oven. hehe

I stunk up the kitchen a few nights ago and I asked my fiance if she minded... she's like I LOVE THAT SMELL OF ELECTRONICS!! What a weirdo!

I loveeee the smell of FRESH electronics, like a new mobo, not burnt parts!!

You are a lucky man to have a woman like that. My wife flipped out when she saw what I was doing with our $30 toaster oven :blah:

and +1 for that new motherboard smell :comp:

I have just brought forth my dead 8800 GTS 640mb using the mighty oven. Saved me $93 from buying a new one. All hail oven trick.

Back