• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I lost some pixels on my 24" Dell and after reading some of the testimonials in the OP, I figured - hey maybe it's a loose solder somewhere, what could it hurt.
So I threw it in my Kenwood Fan Assisted which I OCed to 700F. After i had it in there for about 3 minutes my corsair TX750 just blew up. I took my screen out of my powerless oven to discover it looks no better. In fact it looks worse.

I'm gonna need more heat for this fix D:

BROKEN

I think most of us here could have told you that was going to happen
oh, and :welcome:

I lost some pixels on my 24" Dell and after reading some of the testimonials in the OP, I figured - hey maybe it's a loose solder somewhere, what could it hurt.
So I threw it in my Kenwood Fan Assisted which I OCed to 700F. After i had it in there for about 3 minutes my corsair TX750 just blew up. I took my screen out of my powerless oven to discover it looks no better. In fact it looks worse.

BROKEN

So you destroyed your screen and blew up a power supply over some dead pixels? I'm still confused on what you did, and why in the world did you have the oven at 700*F?

How did the power supply blow up? Did you put that in the oven too?

:confused:

Just registered to post in this thread. (I apologize if this gives it a mega bump)
My XFX geforce 8800 GTX after 2 years and 8 months of loyal service suddenly died on me. Wierd color distortions and stuff, eventually crashing the system
Went to 4chan /g/, one anon posted the link to this.
I was like "what the hell, why not?" my other options were to buy a new card or to get this one fixed/rma'd etc.

So I tried it, put it in the oven for 6m 45 seconds. And... it Works! :bday:
This is the most craziest thing ive done with my pc, ever.
Thanks for this thread!

BROKEN

#Chuckles#

that`s not physical damage its emotional...
Untitled-1.jpg
not the oven trick... the holiday trick!

its just too damp, dark and cold in the UK (be why your psu killed itself I expect :-/)

My 8800GT 512MB is getting oven prep right now.

It died yesterday after a 120mm fan from my TRUE fell on it. It does NOT post.

Fingers crossed. Oven is preheating right now. 385F for 8minutes I will do it for.

un-lucky

reflux maybe... but magic oven versus smashed components or broken rails in a 10 layer pcb, hmmm well I know where my bets going.

un-lucky

reflux maybe... but magic oven versus smashed components or broken rails in a 10 layer pcb, hmmm well I know where my bets going.

Any other ideas to revive my card?

The fan spins, but there is just no video output. Should I try the oven longer, maybe higher temp? Maybe my oven's thermostat is a tad wrong causing the solder not to get hot enough?

I guess at this point I got nothing to lose right? Maybe try 400F for 6/7 mins?

anyone have any idea how long an oven fixed card will last?

i think it depends on what was wrong with the card in the first place,
i had one 8800 that lasted only two weeks, and one that has lasteed a few months now, so it depends, i doubt it will ever work permantly, so its not worth buying a faulty and then putting it the oven unless you only want a temporary solution

Any other ideas to revive my card?

The fan spins, but there is just no video output. Should I try the oven longer, maybe higher temp? Maybe my oven's thermostat is a tad wrong causing the solder not to get hot enough?

I guess at this point I got nothing to lose right? Maybe try 400F for 6/7 mins?

Have you tried another card in the slot? I'm just curious if the impact may have damaged the PCIe slot.

YUMMY! Juicy caps are always a bad sign.
ps2cho: Look for a sticker on the card that says anything about ROHS. This means "lead-free solder" and should be considered a warning that the trick will not work under 450ºF (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think tin/silver solder melts above 456ºF).
Madhatter: If you have access to and know how to use one, a DVM will tell you if all the proper voltages are coming off their respective MOSFETs. The 9800 series have a main 5v rail, which splits off to a 3.3, 1.8, and 1.5 volt output to their perspective places on the board (BIOS, Mem, and GPU). I could be wrong on the values, but most of the time if the BIOS voltage is gone, the PC will not post, may post with no mem, and no post with no GPU.
AFAIK, the 9800GT had the extra 4 pin Molex plug on the rear of the card, which is a high current input. There might be an on-board fuse (SMF type) on the board that could be bad. Usually there is a marking similar to "F1" or "F10" somewhere around it. This could be the issue, since the bios and gpu get power from the motherboard, and memory may get it's power from that connector.
(Another one of my useless musings)....

Another successfull bake! Thanks for the tip guys, my BFG 8800GT started giving trouble recently, it started to freeze occassionally, then when I booted the fan sounded like a 747 taking off until a few minutes later the screen just turned to a pile of artifacts. Then it just refused to display anything at all. I was about to bin it when I read the thread here about baking the card. With nothing to lose I heated the oven up to 200 degress popped the card in for 10 minutes and then left it to cool for a while. The solder joints didn't look any different except for traces of what looks like flux on a couple of the bigger ones. As soon as I put the card back in the computer and booted I knew it had worked, no screaming fan, its been running perfectly for 2 days now, fingers crossed maybe it'll last until that upgrade I've been promising myself. Thanks again.

I registered here for the sole purpose of posting in this thread. My laptop died a couple weeks ago and wouldn't display anything on the screen or on my external monitor. So I took it apart and stuck the GPU (an 8600m GT) in the oven per your directions. All I have to say is I'm posting from the laptop right now. :) TYTY!

I registered here for the sole purpose of posting in this thread. My laptop died a couple weeks ago and wouldn't display anything on the screen or on my external monitor. So I took it apart and stuck the GPU (an 8600m GT) in the oven per your directions. All I have to say is I'm posting from the laptop right now. :) TYTY!

wow that is amazing, imagine how many graphics card have been thrown away prematurely :(

:welcome: animal chip,

wow that is amazing, imagine how many graphics card have been thrown away prematurely :(

:welcome: animal chip,

It's great that it's fixed, but it sort of puts me in a dilemma. Do I

a.) Just go with it and see how long the laptop lasts.

b.) Buy a new 8600m gt off of eBay.

I think both of these options leave with me a sort of "ticking time bomb." Right now it failed at a relatively good time, but next time it breaks I might be writing a report, doing homework or studying for a test.

c.) Get another card like a 9600m gt or something. I would most likely have to flash my bios. Something I have never done, but something that could easily brick my motherboard.

d.) Build a new desktop. Something that I have wanted to do for a while, but never had a reason to do.

i have no idea how much 8600m's are on ebay, but yes it is true that trick wont last forever

building a new desktop is highly recomended, so fun!

Hmmm would this work with a motherboard? Or do those have too much plastic on them?

I've got a pair of motherboards sitting in my room doing nothing.

Back