• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the rig im building..any suggestions on missing anything

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshcha

Registered
well a few months ago i was having issues with my pc and u guys helped me fix it...bad heatsink on cpu.. well i ordered parts to build a new computer tell me what u ppl think.. am i missing anything..any suggestions...

ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card 2 of them

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active ...

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ...

ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and ...

AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX

G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case

all this stuff should be at my house by monday....

Two things: One, I don't think you need a 1000W PSU. I think a 750W would be plenty. Two, and most important, I don't think the CPU cooler will be adequate for much overclocking. Most people are going with water on the FX 8 cores as they run really hot when overclocked much. Did you look at the Corsair H100? On sale at NewEgg right now.

i might have to sink another 110 and get one of those then i based my psu selection on running 2 graphics cards and 1000w is middle of the line.. u can get up to 1500w which i have no idea what ppl are running to need that much power...this pc im using now has a 500w i thought that would be too low to run 2 cards

Last edited:
Best of luck with build.

joshcha: If you go into CORSAIR'S WEB SITE there is a psu calculator, or you have to do is in put all your PC componets and it will do the rest. trents maybe right 1000watts could be a little over the top buddy?????? My own set will be 2x sapphire HD 6950 2GB on a 850watt psu. best regards ajay57.:welcome::thup:

joshcha, don't get me wrong. A 1000W PSU is not a bad thing but I would recommend to anybody getting a high quality 750W over an inferior 1000W. Coolermaster is not known for turning out high quality PSUs. Stick with Seasonic, Antec or Corsair and you can't ago wrong.

If buying a good, solid and reputable 750watt power supply would allow you to go with one of the higher grade, closed loop water cooling systems, then I certainly would get the good 750 watt power supply. That FX-8150 runs HOT. Hotter than a CM 212 EVO type cooler can get rid of the heat, At least that is what most posting in this forum have experienced.

Now that is n0t to say the 212 EVO cooler is not good, just not good enough to handle an FX-8150 at more than about 4.0 to 4.2 Ghz with awesome case cooling. Most are n0t satisfied until they see 4.5Ghz and the 212 EVO type cooler is then just n0t enough at all.

The thread linked below is a very good read about just how h0t an FX-8150 runs when it is pushed. There is not a lot of BS and guessing in at least the first page of 2 pages. The thread gives some actual details on how they all tried to setup an H100 and found them to be lacking when pushed to the Max. So you can rest assured no 212 series air cooler from CM will have any chance of cooling a pushed FX-8150 since the H100 is nearing borderline for those that have the H100.

H100 Can't keep my FX-8150 Cool

all the parts left the state next to me and the case is sitting a town away if i dont get my pc tomorrow im goin to be sad panda tomorrow...the wait is killin me.. 1679 for this pc and it should outlast the one in my signature...im donating it to a guy i work with.. hes got kids to pay for so he cant have decent things... atleast he can play pc games now for awhile

if my quad sells this weekend i will buy the h100 so i can overclock the thing though... i wanna see what i can get out of it... im sure ill be askin questions on that when i do

Back