• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will these parts fit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Polka

Hey guys, I'm building a new computer, and I am having doubts on whether the parts will all fit together. If any of you would mind letting me know they'll fit together, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tower : Rosewill CHALLENGER - Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Hard Drive : Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Motherboard : ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990X + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Sound Card : ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

PSU :EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 220-G2-0650-Y1 80+ GOLD 650W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode

Ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

CPU : AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8320FRHKBOX Desktop Processor

GPU : SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 100406L 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

If you see any issues with this, please message me, as I don't want to buy it, and have it not work correctly, thanks for your help!

They will work... but, what's your budget? There are a couple things i would change..

1. Drop the sound card unless you need some of its functions or have high end cans/speakers as well as a decently critical ear. In other words, the onboard sound is usually good enough
2. What cooler are you using on the CPU?
3. Are you overclocking? If not, grab an EVGA Supernova G2 550W.
4. With the money you saved on ditching the sound card, you can now get an SSD for your OS.

I assume this build is for gaming, if so a 6350 will be a better match for and easier on the board.
and yes, ditch the sound card and get an ssd.

Thanks, My budget is $700.00. I was looking at heatsinks for the CPU, and I decided on a "Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan," Would that be good enough?
Also, about the SSD cards, should I keep the Hard Drive, or get rid of that as well, and go with just the SSD?

That depends on what your average data usage is. Most people keep one spinner and one SSD, the SSD for your OS, apps, and a game or two (depending on how large of one you buy -- most recommend at minimum 250GB at this point) and the mechanical drive to store other files/media/less-played-games, etc.

I would ditch the Seagate and go with a WD blue hdd in its place. That is in addition to the ssd the others mentioned.

For the heatsinks, what do you think that the right size tower would be for these, since I have heard that they can be too big for the tower.

I'd skip the sound card unless you have a very high-end entertainment system you plan to use for sound. The on board sound card is more than good enough for some cheap desktop speakers if that's what you're running.

For the heatsinks, what do you think that the right size tower would be for these, since I have heard that they can be too big for the tower.
if you look at you case's website, it will tell you how large of a heatsink will fit in it. ;)

I checked the manufacturer's website and that I can see, Rosewill does not provide information on the maximum cooler height that Challenger case will accommodate. In my experience you are asking for problems if you try to fit a cooler that tall in a tower style case less than 7.5" wide. The Challenger is 7.48" wide.

Does your budget include a monitor? Or maybe you have one already.

Also, I'm surprised I'm not seeing anyone suggest a GTX 1060... slightly less power draw, marginally better performance, and not too much more money.

Back