• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the sort of $150 who cares chip.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hell yes more fps for me!!!!!!111

the A.D.D suffering, Ridilin popping, mouth foaming fps gamer!! whooowh ooowh ooowhoo whoooo

Cheap quads wwhoowho wohoow hooow howoo!!\

Consumer wins whooowh whooowh ooowhwho whooo
Yesterday, I added a fan to the NB heat sink on my wife's P4 3.2e...she's happy.

And this is relevant to what exactly?
Old CPU/systems work fine for most people.

My wife and son are very content with this non-overclocked, water cooled system. It does everything they want at a reasonable speed and quietly. It needs a NB block, the NB fan was just a test.

I agree with the OP that the world needs to go in the direction of less speed, less power, less heat, less money. Some are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

Audio Production = CPU Hog. I'm just now beginning to settle into PC DAW's with overclocked C2D's (OC'd 4GHz P4's were just not enough), and I can still run out of steam fairly easy if I push it. I'll go Quad within a year, and use every last morstle of 4 cores, and I could probably use a good chunk of 8 cores, too.

PS - I don't game - not a day in my life. But I have every need for massive CPU crunching power (realtime I/O at that).

For average Joe - nope... Stick with your P4 ;)

:cool:

(try putting your prices in dollars - its terribly un-american not to)
I'm Swedish, living in the UK, how many ****s do you think I give about dollar exactly? :p
Now, will that P3 be able to do anything like that? Can it fold quickly? Can it encode a video fast enough? Can it play games? Can it compile programs fast enough?
No, but do users do things like that? No. They read emails once a week and play solitaire five minutes a day.
We're not talking the 1% that core wars and multi Ghz clockspeeds matter too, we're talking about the other 99% of the people on earth.
That's quite expenisve, I got my P3-500+Mobo for like 5$ :p
This was for a full system, XP Home, with a DVD-rom, keyboard and mouse ;)

Audio Production = CPU Hog.

Seconded. Although my C2D chews through Protools and Reason running together ( <30% CPU usage peak, <5% playback with 10+ effects racked). But for dedicated audio rigs one's better off going Mac. Not because their hardware's better, but because of way less bugs on industry software.

Last edited:
I'm Swedish, living in the UK, how many ****s do you think I give about dollar exactly?)

im gonna be frank with ya now. we are taking our cattle feed and making moonshine with it to fuel our cars - so we can save the planet.

were gonna run out of protien soon, and it will be cheaper to eat europeans than cattle.

(they told us to save the planet and we did, so they cant complain)

thats why the dollar is important to you.
i can only hope i am joking.

the dollar IS ALLSO IMPORTANT TO YOU because the little chipmakers can provide for what we want to do while the big guns tell us what to buy.

nobody is that stupid (or so i thought)

someday ill be able to buy an e-mail machine. for $30
and bit by bit make my own machine to my own needs exactly without having a $300 price gap in video cards. $700 gap in chips

the little chipmaker will take a list of what i want to do and make me my own unique chip for far less than the big guns.

right now i buy a $50 chip that does everything slowly, or a $700 chip thats darned good, but way more than i need.

if i said - i have XP, i play freespace, use firefox heavily, sometimes create video (but not that much) and play on forums with disrespectful Europeans -

THEY WOULD SAY:
"that will be $185.79

and we will design your chip thursday and build it friday. it will ship monday and it will be at your home wednesday at the earliest. we guarentee it will do everything you need and nothing you dont for the best value. "

little botique chipmakers and designer chips will end the big two.
MARK MY WORDS.
its only a matter of time. dont believe that pie in the shy stuff from the big two, they only want to discourage competition

it makes dollars and sense.

you think newegg is offering great choices now - wait till this hits.
we are going to have the whole rainbow but ten times as wide.

your piece of the pie will be truly your own in micro lithography.

^^^ and to add to that, i can custom order an overclocking chip for really cheap with no warantee - say $125 and do whatever i want with it.

"i want to overclock on air and have a 75% o/c and have it like a PIII but with sse4 and..."

Everyone is mentioning about the trusty older chips. At one time they were top of the heap or near abouts. In this day, we do things another way and have things that require new ways. There is plenty of applications that take advantage of more then one core. I guess gamers do not see that usually. Unless the latest game provides support for it.

Let me elaborate.

Vista which is the new mainstream OS out and about. Works best with 2 cores. When the PIII was out, that was around the 98/ME era. Even the newer Apple OS works best with 2 cores now. Linux it does not care, it just uses the hardware.

My point is. Since the OS is now happily using two cores. Why not add another set to handle other things besides the kernel? Heck you never know game makers might start slaving a core for certain features of the games. It is up to the dev of the software to use the hardware that is installed and used. XP was made during the era of single core. Vista is the era of multi core.

You might say, right now no multicore is using that software fully. Well chips are designed to be in service for 10 years or longer. So them $150 chips with extras, sounds like a nice value to me.

My XP2400+ cost me a little over $160 when it first came out. Compared to the newer generation chips. I think the new ones are a bargain. I would hope CPU's get more robust and powerful as the years go by. Not stay the same speeds, While getting cheaper to make and sold at a lower price to consumers in general.

Last edited:
inereesting, but (snip)...

so your own custom microlithography pattern for a good price does not interest you? eleventeen dumb cores over what you actually need?

(and i realize folders need more, but thats outside the scope)

but say you could order a folding chip, specially built for $50 extra that outfolded anything that is offered by 200PPD on ONLY 4 CORES and the other 4 cores were general purpose chips tailored to your exact specifications?
say you did the basics plus gaming?

8 core charge + 4 for gaming and general - $225
$50 folding charge
no warentee overclocking specification with high OC capability on 8 cores: $125

thats a $400 chip that stomps everything you want to throw at it and its worth every penny. BEATS ANY OTHER CHIP THERE IS FOR YOUR NEEDS.

you dont pay a dime to have render farm capability.
not a quarter for database running.
not a dollar to have a capability to serve webpages.

THAT IS VALUE.
i say its coming and makes the big two irrelavent.

My operating system will use any amount of cores I set a flag for. It scales to any amount I might set it up.

Now If I am encoding. I expect all cores to do work. More the merrier. Myself I happen to use multithread applications at times. Plus listening to music. It makes encoding suffer for me. Since I am on only a single core. Now if I had a multicore. You betcha I would set a bootflag to speed up my boot times too. Since my OS also supports booting with multi-thread. Have to think outside of the box when it comes to hardware. Since there is plenty of operating systems that will use all the hardware and whatnots. When it is asked of it. Sometimes it is a Geo metro.. Sometimes it is a heavy hauler.

This machine is not for gaming. It is a multi-duty machine. It may be ran as a streaming server one minute. The next encoding a video for a website. Even working on said website.

You betcha I would want more cores for projects and jobs. Long as the price is right.

I'm Swedish, living in the UK, how many ****s do you think I give about dollar exactly? :p

I couldn't care less how un-american it is either, although it's useful for comparison to quote it roughly in dollars.

As a rule of thumb £1 ~= $2 or so, for those who don't know.

does anyone else think this is silly becuase itd cost way to much for even large companies, never mind small companies, to specifically tailor unique cpu's for average joe schmoe? thats like asking a car company to make you a custom car for cheap, isnt gonna happen.

does anyone else think this is silly becuase itd cost way to much for even large companies, never mind small companies, to specifically tailor unique cpu's for average joe schmoe? thats like asking a car company to make you a custom car for cheap, isnt gonna happen.

I may not have an IBM on my desk but i do have a northwood on it (not in a machine or anything...)

the vast majority of chipmaking is no more complicated than drawing a circuit and xeroxing it in a very elite way.

say you have a company that does that but builds its buisness on not one or three designs at a time, but an entire database of known good combinations?

40,000 or so - that should do it.

all you have to to is take the order, match it, fish it out from the database and print it on a chip, and then ship it out to the poor fool who was willing to give you 60% over cost to do it.

if anything microsoft has prooven software is dead.

all that we need is for the hardware investors to step up and BANG -designer chips!
i wont back down on this.

software is dead, and any clown with too much money can make designer hardware the future.

...and not some interactive coffee table for $15,000 future, - no flying around in jetpacks with virtual reality goggles.

just a glorified order system, database and a printer.

i mean sure, you would need a good fab shop to start with and new machines that can shoot from the hip - but then its step 4 - profit - and people get what they want.

You say software is dead. :shrug:

Then you mention about data bases..

Microsoft is a bobble company. A very large bobble company. If you want real software.. Cisco and At&T come to my mind when the real software is mentioned. There is many things software runs that makes the hardware usable for humans. Them chips have to have something to use. Most of the honestly talented programmers do not work for the very large and visible MS.

When you run custom hardware. i.e.- custom chips. You need good programmers to create a low level way to get the hardware talking. That is the highest cost of starting a new platform. I can't see the cost of a boutique chip market going anywhere fast. Since the development costs would make most bean counters vomit over the spreadsheets. Or have a heart attack. This is not counting the higher level software like an OS and applications.

I assume you seen the article on the Sun chip. Which is a nice looking setup. Not overly pricey for 8 cores. One thing.. You will be needing a Sun geared OS to run it. AFAIK, MS is not in the market for Sun based products. I think back in the day, IBM supported the SPARC setups. Now it might be Sun does it's own in house work, which Sun - has some very talented programmers. They are more then the java thing.

I thought I read in here about only gamers/power users need more cores? Well the percentage of gamers using the pc has jumped by a larger margin. Computer Source magazine has a small tidbit about pc gaming now being the mainstream gaming at 63%.

Actually I have an IBM as/400 it is not a 1000 pound machine but a 50lb ( at most) 4u rackmount.
The rest of your post makes sense but I did want to clarify that.

i have one at work not 4U and ironically enough, still on the pallet that it was brought in on :p

we dont have to do much in terms of maintenance and i love it :)

Back