• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The thing about flat panel moniters..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxheadroom

Registered
Never used the DVI socket on my Llyama Prolite E431S before but now I'm getting a swanky new 6800 ultra I thought I'd pick one up. Only now do I realise there's more than one type.

From what I can tell the monitor is a DVI-D "24 + 1" pin socket. From the pictures I've seen the 6800's have the other kind DVI-I "24 + 5"

I think the DVI-D is digital and DVi-I is analog/digital. Does anybody know more about this? Are the formats incompatable with each other?

More to the point, Am I ever going to get my monitor and new graphics card hooked up?

A lot of dual head video cards have one VGA connector and one DVI-I connector. DVI-I connector has pins for both digital and analog monitors. You can connect it directly to the digital connector on you LCD monior or use an adapter to connect it to a regular analog VGA monitor. I have used a number of systems with dual monitors that required the adapter for dual analog LCD monitors connections. I never had a reason to use the digital outputs directly with these cards so I can't comment on how they compare with the angalog ones.

Back