• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

There's a new world record kids. 8.8GHz on Raptor Lake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree but if AMD had not released their ZEN cpu's <-> we would not have had this cpu.

Maybe Intel would invest all the time and money in fresh ideas while they were pushing old technologies only to match/beat AMD. Intel literally wasted a lot of money releasing all these refreshed chips and blocking factories. They are still in 10nm while AMD moved to another new process. Intel maybe has the fastest single threaded chip but its wattage is ridiculous compared to what new Ryzen shows.

For me surprising is how both AMD and Intel, released so much faster chips in the same time, and both are not far from each other in pure frequency (like default settings/ambient temps). 1-2 years ago, no one would expect we will see 5.3GHz+ on all cores or 5.7GHz+ single thread out of the box. 5 years ago we had to use sub 0 cooling to set 5.5GHz.

Now think how ridiculously easy would be to get high in hwbot ranks right now. You buy 13900K + RTX4090 and beat 95%+ results in everything on ambient temps. Each time I check hwbot, then I see the same people who are working for leading manufacturers or fully sponsored overclockers. It's getting worse each year as recently there are 1 time wonders from Asia who grab top spots for short time, with the help of some brands, and later disappear. I respect some guys like Elmor, who bring much more to the table than a single good result once in a while, but most are just pouring LN2 on everything.

Last edited:
I didn't know they were out of it...

Speaking in the context of this thread, I recall a previous gen chip from Intel hitting 8 Ghz, but not fast enough to take the crown from AMD. @Woomack ... was that Rocket Lake or??

As I remember, there were 2-3 chips in the 8GHz range, but I wasn't really following, and I don't remember exactly what it was.

None from previous gen intel... 7.8 was the highest. I looked it up and deleted that post... lol

But yeah, I guess intel was out of this game (but that's it, lol), but at the same time, can't say I care about frequency much/didn't miss them at this, lol!

what was most surprising to me was the record was held by an AMD FX chip...
that sucker musta been hooooot under any circumstance

what was most surprising to me was the record was held by an AMD FX chip...
that sucker musta been hooooot under any circumstance

FX was like pure frequency and nothing else. The same old P4/Celerons that are on the 7GHz+ list. The same idea.
Since there are 1-2 cores in use for these tests and everything else disabled, then really it's not so hot. It just needs very low temps to be able to even boot (and most users bump frequencies in Windows later as it wouldn't even start).

Still... you can get an FX-8370 for under 200 bucks used. No idea what real-world performance would be like of course... But if you just wanted it for benching... then that chip could take you places.

For what I do (video editing) I'm still amazed at what the Apple M chips manage to achieve. How could I possibly edit RAW video and all the other stuff that I do on such a low-clocked chip with almost no RAM? It's an absolute miracle. They're going to have to create new performance benchmarks to make sense of it all.

AMD FX chips were slow vs the competition then and are email machines today, hehe. That chip will take you to hwbot FX promised land....thats about it. Gaming today would be sadface on that thing with the low glass ceiling. :)

They're going to have to create new performance benchmarks to make sense of it all.
I'll bite, why do you feel they need different metrics?

Those M1 chips are solid. Performance-wise the M1 Max seems to be in the ballpark with intel's last gen 12900k and uses less power, which is impressive!

For what I do (video editing) I'm still amazed at what the Apple M chips manage to achieve. How could I possibly edit RAW video and all the other stuff that I do on such a low-clocked chip with almost no RAM? It's an absolute miracle. They're going to have to create new performance benchmarks to make sense of it all.
Its the AI co processor combine with Apple software stack. Perfected in iPhone now in your Mac.

Im actually glad to see Apple moving in a direction of making their own hardware again.
I felt kinda insulted looking at their prices when I could get a Dell or HP with the same hardware for less than half the price when they were Intel based

Its the AI co processor combine with Apple software stack. Perfected in iPhone now in your Mac.

This dude got BARS! hahaahaha! :D

Who knew?! We got stone cold RHYMERS up on OCF! (I'm still waiting on that Earthdog/I.M.O.G. Mix Tape...)

I'm aware of the lineage. There's actually this really great video I watched a while back that I can't seem to find anywhere now that talks about how the whole thing works (This guy is the next best thing... he covers the same information... but the original video where he got all this info... was incredible.) (edit: Eventually found the original video... pasted at the bottom.)

Sometimes I hate YouTube Watch History. I DEFINITELY saw that video again recently... but it isn't there... OH WELL!

Apparently Microsoft is working on their own ARM CPU solution now... Good luck with that! :p

EDIT: FOUND it! (Was in another account)

Last edited:
So great and still useless for most users that need Windows software ;) Even graphics designers nowadays usually need Windows software, so unless there is a specific Apple software that they use, they will still need Windows environment.

So great and still useless for most users that need Windows software ;) Even graphics designers nowadays usually need Windows software, so unless there is a specific Apple software that they use, they will still need Windows environment.

That's not actually true... Unless you're a seamstress... and you need to use some embroidery software (which, peculiarly, only runs on Windows) then AutoCAD... Maya... InDesign... all those work just fine on Mac.

Also... about 6-10% of the people on this planet wind up editing some kind of video (which is what I use my macs for... besides programming). And Mac is still the preferred platform for video editing (if only because of ProRes... which you can only kinda/sorta use on PC).

Then there's music editing software and hardware... animation software... There's like a LONG list of software that includes virtually everything but PC gaming. (And embroidery.)

That's not actually true... Unless you're a seamstress... and you need to use some embroidery software (which, peculiarly, only runs on Windows) then AutoCAD... Maya... InDesign... all those work just fine on Mac.

Also... about 6-10% of the people on this planet wind up editing some kind of video (which is what I use my macs for... besides programming). And Mac is still the preferred platform for video editing (if only because of ProRes... which you can only kinda/sorta use on PC).

Then there's music editing software and hardware... animation software... There's like a LONG list of software that includes virtually everything but PC gaming. (And embroidery.)

I finished a graphics course a while ago, and I have been working with graphic designers for over 4 years. Every single one of them needed a PC because on Mac, something was missing. Guys who were bringing Macs with them needed a PC to finish some projects. Guys working professionally with graphics (TV commercials, 3D games, animation, and other stuff like that) were all using PCs because Macs couldn't cover all their needs. This is just my experience, but it highly depends on the project. If someone is doing only one specific task on a single program then it doesn't matter. Worse is when there are multiple programs involved.
Most programs can be replaced, but most users have their specific environment and don't want to learn everything from the beginning.
Another thing is the price. Macs and specific software cost much more than a similar environment for a PC. If a graphic studio has multiple computers then it's already a problem (unless has a huge budget).
This is my experience and my point of view that doesn't have to be the same for every other person.

I finished a graphics course a while ago, and I have been working with graphic designers for over 4 years. Every single one of them needed a PC because on Mac, something was missing. Guys who were bringing Macs with them needed a PC to finish some projects. Guys working professionally with graphics (TV commercials, 3D games, animation, and other stuff like that) were all using PCs because Macs couldn't cover all their needs. This is just my experience, but it highly depends on the project. If someone is doing only one specific task on a single program then it doesn't matter. Worse is when there are multiple programs involved.
Most programs can be replaced, but most users have their specific environment and don't want to learn everything from the beginning.
Another thing is the price. Macs and specific software cost much more than a similar environment for a PC. If a graphic studio has multiple computers then it's already a problem (unless has a huge budget).
This is my experience and my point of view that doesn't have to be the same for every other person.
I generally agree with this position.
The limited hardware choices with a Mac is its saving grace and its biggest pitfall.
But this is the exact reason I run ZBooks in my studio I can get much more robust graphics hardware for around the same cost of a MacBook Pro and it has upgrade options.

Back