• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal pads on my gtx 470

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermaltake

Registered
Hi I bought thermal pads from ebay with 3.2w/mk I was wondering if it's okay to put them on my memory and vram on my gtx 470 becouse my old thermal pads are full of dust and practically destroyed, so they really need to be replaced. I didn't put her in my system jet becouse I want to ask first someone who knows if that amount of thermal conductivity will be okay to cool memory and vram, I searched google but couldn't find how much stock pads have.

Last edited:
Oh my bad I forgot to write that they are 1mm thick I mesure stock ones and they are 1mm too.

Oh great!

I didn't post before but I will visit this forum often now :) Cheers!

Heh tnx, oh can you tell me what is like best way to put thermal paste on gtx 470 gpu is cross or bigger dot in the middle or something else ?

I've always used a big drop, but the x-pattern could cover better on the 470 since it has the large IHS.

Yeah I saw few peoples on yt used that method and think it's best one too.

I'd do an X, so that it goes from the center toward the corners.

Happy Easter :)

I got one more question. Do I need to cut pads when applying them or I can put one cut on all 4 of them becouse I have 100x100 pad and I was planning to cut like one line to cover all 4 of them, and not like it was default on each memory chip one pad and vram mosfets too.

Why not put the whole thing on all 4 chip I mean I saw few peoples doing it on yt. What's the difference ?

Why not put the whole thing on all 4 chip I mean I saw few peoples doing it on yt. What's the difference ?

You asked how to do it the right way, and I informed you how. In the end it's your choice how to do it. This is not yt.

What will happen is you will not get any airflow and a full strip of it will act as insulation. Look at your original thermal pads and just replace them as they are. If it's a long chunk of it, then use a long chunk. If they're individual pieces ( squares) then use pieces.

You can do it the proper way or do it yt's way. Up to you.

Last edited:
Okay I'll strip them for memory for sure, just figuring out how to strip for vram that little square, they are very little 3 of them in row, it would be easier to put on them only one piece of thermal pad, I think...

Back