• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal pads on my gtx 470

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Me again with questions :D

Would it hurt if I put thermal pads on chips that I circled red on pictures below ? I mean not sure if they heat that much but on the back ones there is some kind of sticker saying they can be hot.

This is of course under the metal heatsink where fan is installed. There is nothing to push that pad's so they can stick on the metal heatsink like memory and vram have that's my only worry if I put that extra pad's on them not to get that opposite effect.

Back of the card

Last edited:
Don't mess with the ones in red on the front.
On the back, do you have a backplate?

I, personally, wouldn't worry about putting thermal pads anywhere the manufacturer didn't.

Okay I'll leave those like it was default, there is no backplate on the back of the card. I only worry and I know that becouse she is turned upside down when installed that those thermal pads if I put them will collect a lot of dust, so maybe it's best for them too to be without them...

Well if there's no backplate the thermal pads are only going to make temps on those parts worse...

It lower the temps on vram and memory by 7-10C comparing it to default old thermal pads that lost their purpose.

I use a pea size on my GPU and CPU and just screw it down in a cross pattern. A full circle each time till you can't tighten it no more.

Back