• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Pads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

risk_reversal

Registered
I was going to replace the stock thermal pad (if any?) under the Northbridge heatsink on my MB. The one around the core.

I was intending using some high W/MK thermal pads (12) but given that these are fairly expensive (for small amounts) I wanted to get an idea of what thickness I should be going for.

Instinctively, 2 or 3 mm seems correct but I have never done this before and wanted to have your ideas as to what would be the most suitable thickness for this task prior to ordering some.

Many thanks for any info provided.

Cheers

First check what kind of thickness you have under your PCH heatsink. Sometimes 1mm, 1.5mm there's no rule for this. I wouldn't too go berserk for the highest thermal pad. PCH heats but... not like a CPU. Maybe going to 7-8W/mK is fine too and can spare you from dumping a lot of brass there.

Looking to check what thickness I have on my Maximus X too.

Typically its paste...

Though I wouldn't worry about PCH heatsink either...

If it is a pad and you need to know, reach out to your mobo vendor. :)

are thermal pads for computers really effective/ I have a asus that has a heating problem. When i opened it i found the copper sink to be black. so now im very weary of the heat i have some programs to regulate heat but all that does it shut dow the pc when it gets to hot. I think maybe something was damaged however looking at the price of those pads vs installing a new fan for a laptop i would rather give it a go first. I now regularly spray out my cpu with canned air and although it doesn't sound like a chopper taking off anymore it still gets pretty hot to where i can feel it through the keyboard it has stopped shutting itself down now.

Yes, they're effective but up to a limit. Their duty is to pass heat from any kind of heat souorce to a suitable metal piece to reduce and evacuate heat that may shorten or bring problems to discrete components due to excessive heat.

Sometimes the copper alloys turns black due oxidation (first green and then black). I would not be concerned about this. Usually computer heatsinks are made from Aluminium rather than Copper.

Your heat 'problem' could be caused due to a faulty heat compound problem rather than faulty thermal pads. Check it and re-apply thermal paste to see if improves. Canned air to a hot computer? Would not do that you're risking to create more problems due thermal shock.

Yes, they're effective but up to a limit. Their duty is to pass heat from any kind of heat souorce to a suitable metal piece to reduce and evacuate heat that may shorten or bring problems to discrete components due to excessive heat.

Sometimes the copper alloys turns black due oxidation (first green and then black). I would not be concerned about this. Usually computer heatsinks are made from Aluminium rather than Copper.

Your heat 'problem' could be caused due to a faulty heat compound problem rather than faulty thermal pads. Check it and re-apply thermal paste to see if improves. Canned air to a hot computer? Would not do that you're risking to create more problems due thermal shock.

Oh lol i was blowing it out when it was shut down, i was going to use a compressor on the computer but i looked it up and forgot that compressed air makes moisture which would be terrible for the computer components. As i understand it however it dust can carry static i think i best bet is to eliminate the source of the problem the dust but how can i do that i can seal the laptop. So im going to get a pad some more airflow inside the computer should prevent dust clogging up right? As for the copper if it is that because i also think it shoud be aluminium but its copper coloured so im not sure about that it good to know the black is normal. I had no idea about the thermal paste until googled i. Thanks for that may be the solution i was looking for. The guy at the pc shop didnt even say anything about that, im reading the paste is for all heatsinks and from a laptop perspective has alot more respect than a heat pad.

Back