• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Paste for Often Use

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cezar

I imagine many over clockers that test CPUs, GPUs and cooling solutions use thermal compound in huge quantities. Some of this compounds sell in small tubes costing around $6-9 Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic MX.
Bulk compounds on the other hand have mixed reviews.
What compound and quantity do you buy when you have to apply the thermal compound often?

I used AS5 for years, but ran out.. I then used the Chill Factor 3 that came with my Thermalright coolers, and was pretty impressed by it.. but now I am out. I ordered a medium tube of Thermalright TF8. Not much out there for reviews, so hopefully it will be good.

:D

It should be. I should have ordered their TFX but I am frugal.

I have used a few different pastes, Ceramique, NTH1, ICD7, CF3, but mostly AS5.

I only change the compound if I am swapping coolers, or late night boredom when everyone is asleep.

I've used several different pastes over the years. For bulk work I've been use a 65g tube of Arctic MX-2. Once this tube runs out I will upgrade to the MX-4.

My current bulk paste is MX-4 20g. I more recently got a tube of Conductonaut, not sure what size but it isn't a small one. At my level of tinkering I'm not going to run out of either any time soon. Also since I have bought many Noctua coolers in the past, I have a bunch of small NH-T1 tubes also which I use.

People talk about differences between pastes about how much one is better than another, but in practice I just don't notice the difference as long as it is a good one to start with, like those mentioned above. I have had some not so great pastes in the past.

People talk about differences between pastes about how much one is better than another, but in practice I just don't notice the difference as long as it is a good one to start with, like those mentioned above
The only people saying that dont know. :)

The difference between any decent paste and the top pastes are only a couple/few degrees C anyway. Hardly noticeable for most. :)
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108.html

Cezar - just get some mx4. :)

I use Gelid GC-Extreme. When I formally tested Noctua heatsinks or used them informally I used Noctua NT-H1 because I prefer its consistency and it is only 1C behind the Gelid paste. But the OEMs have moved on. I have not tested Noctua NT-H2, Gelid GC-Supreme, Grizzly Kryonaut or Conductonaut. It would be nice to see some formal testing of all of them, roping in MX4, PK1 and PK0 (I told you OEMs have moved on).

I use Gelid GC-Extreme. When I formally tested Noctua heatsinks or used them informally I used Noctua NT-H1 because I prefer its consistency and it is only 1C behind the Gelid paste. But the OEMs have moved on. I have not tested Noctua NT-H2, Gelid GC-Supreme, Grizzly Kryonaut or Conductonaut. It would be nice to see some formal testing of all of them, roping in MX4, PK1 and PK0 (I told you OEMs have moved on).
A few of those are in the link above. ;)

.5 oz jar and 1lb jar (454g), the 1 lb jar can be ordered on Amazon.com. I use this on my CPU's and works very well.

DSCN0648.JPG

i would also say go with mx-4 its cheap and does a really good job of allowing for complete coverage and gives solid temps. i usually grab a 20oz tube when i need to replenish. i found a source for cheap IC7 tho so i may go with that the next time i re-up. i used to try whatever the latest greatest of the moment was until i started using mx-4. price to performance its hard to beat. altho for my main rig i have to admit that i use thermal grizzly kryonaut.

Back