• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal paste on Core 2s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

Welp, in August, 2009, I got a another freebie, a Core 2 Duo E4500.

IIRC, you're supposed to put the thermal paste in a thin line on a Core 2.

I did, then when booted, I noticed quirky temps, stuff that put light loads made the temp of one core shoot up easily 10 C (or close to that) higher than the other core, including XS Bench, IIRC.

But both cores only had a couple or a few degree difference when running Prime95 and with Linpack, IIRC.

Then I decided to take off the heatsink and saw that the line didn't get spread out!

-> Thus, I spreaded the thermal paste myself and changed the position of the heatsink.

Does that sound like a concave IHS?

Depand on the paste used.

Some paste spread better. MX2 can need a manual spread in my latest experience. The other paste i use is from a local shop and dont need to be spreaded cause its more liquid. The MX2 is better but need light manual spread.

Something isn't flat, whether it is the CPU or the HSF is hard to say.

EDIT:
Post above this has a good point, too.

On dualcores I like to use a medium line of AS5 on the third line of the engraveing.

Then plop the cooler on it, give it a small twist to the left and right, and clamp er down :thup:

I do the same with a quad, except I put a small dot above and below the line of AS5, like a division symbol :D

I havent used anything else in years, as far as paste goes, so I cant say what would work for the other brands! :beer:

Been trying out the MX-3 myself works very well, but seems it probably needs to be spread with a razor myself, is a PITA to get a good amount applied, way more than MX-2.

It seems not that big an improvement over MX-2 personally, but still haven't used it a lot yet.

The MX-2 seems much easier to use IMHO, have been using it a long time now with good results.

Last edited:
Back