• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Throttling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mdogs444

Can someone explain what thermal throttling is? By default, mine is set to 50%.......what will it do if i change that?

Thermal throttling is when your cpu gets to a certain temperature which is to hot for it to run other thin burning up the cpu the cpu automaticly down clocks it self to prevent damage and it will continue to down clock until either the cool issue is fixed or it shuts down to prevent any damage.

If the CPU is overheating, it just slows down. This means it can use a lower voltage, and thus run cooler.

so would 0% provide no throttling? Cuase I have a shut down temp, and I don't want the dumb chip to decide that I need less V and cause problems. But it'll probaolby be a hard lock either way.

don't worry,Thermal Throttling does NOT cause problems ;)
instead of generating heat by processing idle cycles,
Thermal Throttling put % idling part of CPU into suspend mode,
therefore it runs cooler and also consumes less power...
its a good thing :)

Disable it altogether. I had a thread exactly like this about three weeks ago. And as far as the info that I received it may be in your best interest to diasable it for ocing purposes . Your not going to hurt your system by having it disabled. You should have some sort of waring on your mobo or some other app that will let you know if your temps exceed any certain temp range. Its not going to run any cooler, I can you that for a fact. ;)

edwardaune said:
Disable it altogether. I had a thread exactly like this about three weeks ago. And as far as the info that I received it may be in your best interest to diasable it for ocing purposes . Your not going to hurt your system by having it disabled. You should have some sort of waring on your mobo or some other app that will let you know if your temps exceed any certain temp range. Its not going to run any cooler, I can you that for a fact. ;)

since your are "folding" which the CPU is always @100% usage,
and have "NO idle cycles",of course it doesn't run "any cooler" ;)
Thermal Throttling is only effective when there're "idle cycles" ;)

I havent folded in three weeks and I can tell you for a fact that it does not make it any cooler. But, thanks for the info, I didnt know folding worked that way.

Edit:I still stand by other forums members input and my results. :bang head

edwardaune said:
Edit:I still stand by other forums members input and my results. :bang head

Thermal Throttling works great for me but only with the
"original bios" that came with my epox board,
but it seems broken with newer bios :mad:
perhaps you and others are having the same bios problems...

I have a modded bios. About the only one offerened with this mobo. Thats alright Ill be getting the NF7-S Monday or so, so I can pass on this mobo to someone else. Thanks God. Good mobo just doesnt have enough voltage.

Back