• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermalright ax478 + sunon 83cfm fan = crap!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

auky

i bought a ax478 w/ sunon 83cfm fan(w/ articsilver2 applied) for my p4 1.8a. but i noticed that the temperature is still very high even though i'm not oc'ing my rig. it's around 45C idle!! when i oc my rig to 2.6ghz, the load temperature would be 60C. i think this is abnormal and i couldnt believe a combo like this will have a temperature of 60C. i'm very desperate of getting 2.7ghz(150fsb). anyone of u using the same hsf combo as i said?? my room temperature is around 20+C. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thx

here's my rig specs:
p4 1.8a @ 2.6 w/ 1.725V (not 100% stable)phillipines (packed date: 7/20/02)
512M corsair xms pc3200 c2 (2-5-2-3) @2.6V
Abit IT7 max
leadtek gf4 ti4200
sblive value
maxtor 60gig ata133

the heatsink is mounted wrong...with two of the best cooling supplies out there (for aircooling) it wouldnt be that hot..reset it, and get some AS3

i dont think it's mounted wrongly, cuz when i touch the heatsink, i can really feel the heat. correct me if i'm wrong. thx for you input though.

that means its mounted wrong, so i hear, if the heatsink is hot to the touch, then 1. your fan isnt working, or 2. its mounted wrong..so try remounting it..it isnt very hard to do, since it has the prongs

Da Whip said:
Are you sure the fan is blowing into the heatsink?
What are you using to read the ccpu temps? The thermal diode on your Mobo could be off a few degree. Artic Silver 2 take a day or two level off. Give it some time.

Your answer lies in this man's post.

Make sure you applied AS correctly following these instructions:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Make sure you don't touch the core or the base of the heatsink once you clean it, and make sure you are putting the heatsink on correctly (Someone with a P4 can verify this). Make sure your fan is blowing towards the heatsink (If you look on the side of the fan there are arrows pointing what direction the fan blows in and the way it rotates). The thinest layer of AS is best beacuse AS is suppose to transfer heat not used to remove the heat from the chip, the thicker the layer, the more resistance, the more heat. Research your motherboard and make sure it isn't reporting high. Be sure of those things and make sure you have good airflow.

if the heatsink is hot, its mounted right. its getting heat, just cant get rid of it. so either your case cooling needs help so that the hsf gets cool air, or your fan isnt spinning or otherwise messed up

hellrazrblade said:
if the heatsink is hot, its mounted right. its getting heat, just cant get rid of it. so either your case cooling needs help so that the hsf gets cool air, or your fan isnt spinning or otherwise messed up

Not always true, it may not be making proper contact and absorbing some heat just not with the right air and it's getting hot and you won't know the difference between 40-50 degrees on the heatsink, all you know is that it'll burn you, unless you measure it.. no definite answer. Best answer is to take it off and make sure you have an AS imprint on the bottom.

i leave my case open. so, it should be cooler than what i thought. i'm sure i mounted it correctly and the fan is blowing towards the heatsink. as of now, i'm running prime95 and the load temperature is 55C w/ 1.75V.

i think most mobo do report higher temperature than what the actual reading is. i touch the heatsink and i dont think it's 55C. maybe 40C or less??

the heatsink wont be 55 degrees, thats the temp that the processor is. the heatsink is always cooler than the processor, unless you blow a hairdrier on it or something. and 40C is only 104F, which will most definately not burn you. 50C is 122F, which is getting warm but not exactly painful.

JasonKosi said:
They do. I believe that Tornado is just a rebranded Sunon...

Someone else back me up on that?

If it were me troubleshooting, I'd want to know what the case temps are.

What do you mean by rebranded exactly? I'm kind of confused because Sunon and Vantec are completely different companies and the Tornado 84 was out before the Sunon which was recently released.

The Vantec Torndao is Just a Relabled Sunon...

as far as your HS problem. Remount, check and make sure the fan is BLOWING onto the hs.....as3..that's all...you should be getting MUCH Better temps.

-JokerF15

mounting makes all of the difference, while i was putting in my p4 system, i had 42 degrees stock, this wasnt acceptable, took it off, thinned my layer of as3 then re bolted it, damn tight too (using an alpha pal 8942) BAM! 28 degrees. so that might be ur problem.

i think i mounted that ax-478 for more than 30 times but that wouldnt help me lower the temperature. i also follow the instruction on how to apply AS on the website. still, i got 55C on load and 45C idle.

auky said:
i think i mounted that ax-478 for more than 30 times but that wouldnt help me lower the temperature. i also follow the instruction on how to apply AS on the website. still, i got 55C on load and 45C idle.

When you took it off did you see an AS3 imprint? Did you make sure your fan was blowing onto the heatsink or off?

the it7 and it7max have bad temp probes .. trust me i have a 2.53 not overclocked and its running 48C idle and 52C load with a swifty and 80mm delta .. ive been trying to solve this problem for the pas 3 days but with no luck .. a few guys on another board says its at least 10C off .. some guy put a external thermal probe into his heatsink and it was reporting 33C idle and 39C load while the motherboard was reporting 44C idle and 57C load ..
so im gonna do the same .. i suggest you do it also .. hope this helps ..

Back