• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermalright ax478 + sunon 83cfm fan = crap!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
another poor performance from the AX478.... this is The Spyder ax478... the darn thing came apart from the glue. first off the glue job was poor, and if u look at it, you would think that the Heat transfer from the copper plate to the aluminum would be poor too... that might explian the poor performance. I was getting 45-48c idle and 55-60c load. that thing just sucked and i sold it. the sypder bought it and he had the same experience. then after awhile the bloodly aluminum just fell off:eek:
I wonder if your AX478 was has a poor glue job like mine did. just a thought cuzz other then that the 80cfm fan should be working good.

AZN

the it7 and it7max have bad temp probes

i do have the same feeling about this. my fan is blowing towards the heatsink.

i also think that the AX-478 is not a good performer, as AZN said, the heat transfer from the copper plate to the fin is bad. i think i'm gonna change my hsf.

AZN, what HSF are you using now after getting rid of your AX-478?? and what's the temp now???

obliv said:
mounting makes all of the difference, while i was putting in my p4 system, i had 42 degrees stock, this wasnt acceptable, took it off, thinned my layer of as3 then re bolted it, damn tight too (using an alpha pal 8942) BAM! 28 degrees. so that might be ur problem.

ohh is that true coz i have a p4 and the temp is 42stock, hmm i might have to thin my as3 layer even more:rolleyes:, at least i know these are stock temps ty:)
obliv give me a link to that heatsink:D

there are 2 ax-478 review in this board. one is 0.27 and the other is 0.33. which one is real??

Xould you send us some dimentions and info and pics of that bad AX478? We are drying to diagnose the yndrome so we can tell a bad one from inspection. possibly if you have a good measuring device some dimentions of the heatsink. Read the thread about the AX478 started by spyder.

auky said:

AZN, what HSF are you using now after getting rid of your AX-478?? and what's the temp now???
my volcano performed about 3c cooler then the ax478 but right now im using stock HSF... i modded the fan to run full speed at 3900rpm so my temps right now are 32MB 42idle and 50c load cpu. but it was my aluminum case that dropped my temps 5c not the HSF.
before when i had the AX478 it was performing the same maybe 1c hotter then the stock HSF... but my V7+ did do like 3c and 5c cooler when full speed.

AZN

Cut the red or preferably the black wire and put a resistor in it, or do the 7 volt mod. for info on the 7 volt mod easrch the forums for 7 volt. or go into the coolnig section, look in obe of the sticky posts at the top, it will ay how to do that.

i know how to do the 7v trick, but i dont know how to mod the stock fan to run at 3900rpm. anyone??

Back