• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Thermalright XP-90c 1155/1366 Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninkasi

Upgrading my HTPC and the low profile cooler that fits my requirements is my existing Thermalright XP-90c. It is being recycled from a LGA775 that it cooled well. It has a Scythe SY1025SL sitting on top. Now for the questions...

Will I need a different mounting bracket for the LGA1155/1366 mobo's? Will this cooler even be enough for these cpu's?

Thanks!

You will need a different bracket...not sure how it'll cool, but it should be better than the stock heatsink at least.

AFAIK, Thermalright never made a mounting adapter for either 1155/1156 or 1366 for the older heatsinks such as the XP90-C. They only made one for 775 boards. But, if you can find a mobo that includes mounting holes for LGA775 (like my P6T board) you would be able to use it. As for cooling the newer processors, it should work better than the stock junk but don't expect more than a mild overclock using it.

The XP90-C was a damn good heatsink for it's day, but sad to say, time has passed it by.

The XP90-C was a damn good heatsink for it's day, but sad to say, time has passed it by.

That is what I figured. I has that lovely aged copper patina on it too! Evil Bay here it comes! Going to put the proceeds towards the AXP-140 then. Hopefully that will work as well as this old girl did.

Back