• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Silent Boost or Volcano for socket a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hanzalo

I have an Abit NF7-S2 with an XP Mobile 2600+ running at 1.9gh. I want to OC to 2.4ish but im running 50C at full load right now. I'm looking at either a Thermaltake Volcano 12-Newegg.com
or the Thermaltake Silent Boost-Newegg.com
The Volcano gets way better airflow but the silent boost was rated 5 out of 5 on newegg out of 407 votes.what one do you think would be better?or is there any other good heatsink/fan combos for under 45$?

I have a volcano 12 and it's okay but nothing special. You will have to lap it and run the fan at about 3500 rpm to get any decent cooling from it. The newegg price is terrible on both of these coolers. To be honest I would not buy either on. For that same money you can buy a TR SI97A, which is far superior to either one of the TT's.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thsiforamdat.html
You would have to spend more on a fan, (I suggest a Delta 3 blade) but if you ever move up to an A64 you will still be able to use the SI97A and the fan. Good luck with whatever you buy.

First off, never trust the newegg reviews.

I agree with rseven. Get the si-97 its a great cooler, I had it before I went to water, I loved it. A few other options might be the zalman coolers, or the tt sonic tower (i think thats socket a) or the big typhoon. It seems that you want silence from your choices and in that case I would recomend the zalaman. They cool almost as well as the others, and are very quiet.
Edit:
I connects with a clip, you dont need the holes for it

flamerail said:
No the si97 is not a great cooler. Its the worst TR sink out.

Get the TT pipe101. You can use it agian for later processors. It fits multiple sockets!
Cheers

It is a great heatsink none the less. It is an awesome cooler. I own one and it performs greatly. I would suggest big typhoon since that works with Socket A and fits other sockets as well.

Si-97a would be good also.

Both the Silent Boost and Volcano by thermaltake are poor designs. DO NOT GET THEM. I can't say much else. The silent boost is anything but silent and hte volcano really does sound like a volcano.

flamerail said:
No the si97 is not a great cooler. Its the worst TR sink out.

Get the TT pipe101. You can use it agian for later processors. It fits multiple sockets!
Cheers
I dissagree. I think the si-97 is a great cooler. It was the socket a king for a while. Also, did you realise that all of the cooler i mentioned are for later processors? How cool is that!!! :rolleyes:

probably because they are just user reviews and people lie sometimes? *shrugs* i dont see what people have against the TtV12 though.. kept my AXP2000+ @ 2.2ghz nice and cool even when the fan was set to "it cools, but doesnt deafen me at the same time".. such a useful setting is that xD.. having said that, ive never used the SI-97, or any other HSF other than numerous different stock HSFs, so i guess im biased..

Careface*

jdrake90 said:
That is a really strong statement my friend. Like fighting words for a newegger..

Why do you make that statement?

Jdrake90

I say this because the results are skewed a lot. I would trust the opinon of people on this site 100 times more than I would those who review newegg products. I am not saying that all of those people are wrong, but a lot of them do not know what they are talking about. If a product gets a low rating I might be troubled becuase that shows a serious problem. A high rating like a 5 shows that people do not really think about what they are writing. It should be rare that a product gets a real 5, a 5 would make it the best of the best. In real life however, a 5 means they liked it and did not bother to really think about it most of the time.

I know this is off topic but I have some experience with Newegg reviews I can share. Once I bought a case and was not real thrilled with it. I posted a negative review. A week later I looked for it and it had not been posted. I wrote a negative review in Resellers and I also sent an email to newegg. I quickly got responces from two different newegg employees trying to rectify my problem. My review was posted and I revised my newegg review at resellers. They sent me a T-shirt. I recently posted another negative case review and within a week I saw it online. So, I can attest that the reviews are real. I sometimes question how they average them out as they round them up.

I wrote a negative review once that never got posted. Then, as an experiment, I wrote a ridiculous positve review for the 7800gtx the day they went on sale, and it was posted in less than 2 days.

If the Si97a is TR's worst product then I don't think they're in bad shape lol. Most companies wish their worst product was that good ;-).

I have an Abit NF7-S2 with an XP Mobile 2600+ running at 1.9gh. I want to OC to 2.4ish but im running 50C at full load right now. I'm looking at either a Thermaltake Volcano 12-Newegg.com
or the Thermaltake Silent Boost-Newegg.com
The Volcano gets way better airflow but the silent boost was rated 5 out of 5 on newegg out of 407 votes.what one do you think would be better?or is there any other good heatsink/fan combos for under 45$?

I've had the Abit NF7-S2 with an AMD XP-M Athlon 2600+ running at 2266 MHz (133x17.0) for years. It is and has always been stable at this speed. I have the Thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 on this awesome socket A CPU.
CPU temp runs around 48 to 50 Centigrade with the CPU fan at 5720 RPM. VCore is 1.89V. The Abit NF-7 has a modded BIOS, Manta Ray's XT D26 BIOS for nForce-2 Ultra 400. Gave this PC to my daughter years ago and have it back again. She hated the loud fan noise from the Thermaltake as does my wife. This PC is a working relic. I going to mothball it in plastic in the basement. It has a Radeon 9800 Pro video card, Two sticks of Corsair ValueSelect VS512MB400 RAM. Currently running XP Professional fully updated with Harkaz's USP4 October 2014 XP update. You can download Harkaz's XP USP4 update from RyanVM forums.

stoneage computer.jpg

CPU: i5-3570K Delidded 4.2GHz
Motherboard: GA-Z77-UD5H rev 1.1
Videocard: AMD Radeon Asus HD 6670
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CL9 @800MHz
Storage:Hard Drive #1 OCZ Agility 4 -250Gb
Hard Drive #2 2X1Tb Toshiba 7200rpm in raid 0 = 1.81Tb
Audio: Integrated Realtek ALC898 w/Creative Inspire 5.1 speakers
Cooling: Noctua NH-D14

Back