• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermalTake Smart Fan 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightowl

Smart Fan 2 temp probe

I have just treated myself to a lovely TT Smart Fan 2 :) It performs as well as i expected. What I didnt expect was for the thermal sensor to be so thin. Does anyone know if it would be possible to put this sensor between my xp1600 and my heatsink ( volcano 7, soon to be ax7)

Thnx 4 any help u can give.

Last edited:
I would really recommend using the manual control with these fans, as the thermal circuits don't kick up the RPMs until everything gets too hot IMO.

DO NOT PUT THE SENSOR BETWEEN THE CPU DIE AND THE HEATSINK! You may place it touching the side of the core, but don't let it interfere with the contact between the HSF & proc core.

If you have a small opening in your case for the pot to stick out, I would rather use the manual adjustment too. I don't trust the sensor very much.

I've also seen the minute size of the sensors. It is not a good idea to put it inbetween the hsf n cpu as it will lower the heat transfer capabilities. However, because of its size, you can easily place it under the die behind the cpu. It fits in between the pins with no problem.

I think it was a review I saw somewhere, were it was stuck to the side of the core which seems reasonable.

Beware if you choose to place it on the bottom. The length of the sensor and the rubber insulation made mine longer than the inside face of the socket and it had to be attached diagonally - avoiding the thermister was a little difficult

However I also prefer manual control.

I have been using the manual control and am going to continue doing so. i never use my pcs reset button so it is gonna be replaced with the fan control which I plan to put a brushed aluminium knob onto. Hopefully it will turn out as planned.

Thanks for the replies :)

It is amazing what you and a friend can come up with in an afternoon. In the image i have attached you can see where the reset button used to be is a lovely brushed aluminium knob for adjusting fan speed :) while we had the case in bits the pwer and hdd leds have been swapped for better colours (IMHO)

Thanks go out to vinyljunky for his patience and soldering skills ;)

Cheers for the props nightowl :D

One thing someone here might be able to help with : when the dial is turned clockwise the fan slows down. Anyone know hoe to reverse this process? It's not as simple as reversing the pot, thats been tried.

Vj

impressive work ladies :D

might get you to do mine in the next few weeks wen i get my new leds and tt smartfan2

Back