• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake WATER2.0 Extreme CPU Cooler Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buckeye

Registered
thermaltakewater20extre.jpg

Today we have several different types of cooling to choose from when deciding to cool our CPU’s. Air coolers can get rather big and heavy and can make a lot of noise when running at full loads. Full blown water cooling units do have excellent performance but can cost a lot more for this extra performance plus installing these can be difficult. In the middle area we find sealed water cooling units with the double wide rad units being the best. We have seen double wide rad units for some time and have found they generally provide better cooling then air coolers and only cost a little more.

Taking the 240mm rad sealed liquid cooling units and making them better is just what Thermaltake set out to do with the WATER2.0 Extreme CPU Cooler.

Specifications for the WATER2.0 Extreme:
Water Block Material - Copper
Pump Motor speed - 2800±150 RPM
Rated Voltage - 12V
Rated Current - 220mA

Fan Dimension - 120 x 120 x 25mm
Fan Speed - 1200~2000RPM
Noise Level - 27.36dBA(Max)
Rated Voltage - 12V
Rated Current - 0.5A
Max. Air Flow - 81.32CFM
Connector - 4 Pin

Radiator Dimension - 270mm x 120mm x 38.3mm
Material - Aluminum
Cooling Surface Area - 4755cm2
Tube Length - 326mm
Material - Rubber
Weight - 1,150g

Features to note:
• Rubber hoses that allow better flexibility when installing the unit.
• Thicker high efficiency radiator.
• Powerful dual cooling fans.
• Higher performing water block and pump.
• The ability to control the unit with software.

Front and back pictures of the box.

img2637l.jpg img2638az.jpg

And opening the box to see everything inside.

img2639gv.jpg

The mounting kit has universal socket compatibility.
Intel: LGA2011, LGA1366, LGA1156, LGA1155
AMD: FM1, AM3+, AM3, AM2+, AM2

20120916094814.jpg

The high performance water block and pump assembly comes with paste TIM. The actual finish of the block is very smooth.

20120916094942.jpg

The 240mm Radiator + pump and hoses.

img2646pj.jpg

PMW enabled fans.

20120916094611.jpg

Connectors used for this cooler are.
A USB connector, a power connector that plugs into the CPU Fan header and two PWM connectors to plug the two provided fans into.

The finial unit with fans mounted and ready to be installed on the main rig.

20120916100818.jpg

My test bed is my main rig which at this time is a Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 & 2500K @ 4.8ghz. What better way to test cooling then with something you use every day. This is running on an open air bench table.

I did clean off the paste TIM and used Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 which is what I use on everything I do these days. The install was completed a few days before the tests I did to let the TIM settle down.

20120917090557.jpg

The WATER2.0 Extreme also comes with software to control the unit which allows you to monitor temps and control the fan speeds.

dashboard1sy.jpg

dashboard3n.jpg dashboard4.jpg

I started off by seeing what effect the different fan speed settings had on the system, these are Custom, Silent & Extreme.

My idle temps:
At Silent settings.

idletempsonsilentsettin.jpg

And Extreme Settings.

idletempsonextremesetti.jpg

I saw about a 2C difference in temps with Silent vs Extreme settings.

To test loaded conditions I used wPrime to heat up the CPU. Using the 1024M test and letting it run to at least 75% before taking a screen shot of temps.

My loaded temps:
At Silent settings.

loadedtempsonsilentsett.jpg

And at Extreme settings.

loadedtempsonextremeset.jpg

And again I saw about a 2-3C difference in temps between Silent vs Extreme settings.

Temps looked very good so I decided to run Guild Wars 2 for about an hour with different settings to see how it performed with a game.

My Guild Wars 2 temps:
At Silent settings.

guildwars2tempsonsilent.jpg

And at Extreme settings.

guildwars2tempsonextrem.jpg

And again I saw about a 2-3C difference in temps between Silent & Extreme.

In conclusion.
Taking the 240mm rad sealed liquid cooling units and making them better is just what Thermaltake did with the WATER2.0 Extreme. Not only do we see better cooling performance but a whole host of other improved features, like rubber tubing to make installing easier, thicker radiator, improved water block & pump’s and higher performing fans all easily controlled by software for whatever performance you need.

With other 240mm sealed water cooling units I found myself using fans in push pull config with no real control plus dealing with the fan noise. I found that with the WATER2.0 Extreme I did not have to install 2 extra fans for push pull config plus cooling was better with only the two fans provided.

I had become used to high fan noise levels but now my work area is quiet and I can hear the game sounds, music and movie videos without the extra fan noise. I am sure that if the WATER2.0 Extreme is installed in a case there would be even less noise.

Performance of the unit on Silent was good enough that going to the Extreme settings was not needed on the 2500K. Using a 2600K/2700K or Ivy Bridge might need the Extreme settings but even at those settings and in a case the fan noise would not be that bad.

The one thing that I would mark this unit down by was the mounting system which imo could be made much less complex. But once you figure this out the performance is so much better than other 240mm rad sealed water cooling units that it’s worth it.

For more information please check out Thermaltake WATER2.0 Extreme

Thanks for reading.

You know Sky, I set it at Silent and running it like that and I can hardly hear it. On full Extreme settings you can but I think in a case it will be much better. Even at that its not as loud as push pull configs I used before.

Not only do we see better cooling performance
Can you put this in to some context please? Compared to what? Any numbers on that (Im a numbers guy.. sorry!)?

Thank you!

You know Sky, I set it at Silent and running it like that and I can hardly hear it. On full Extreme settings you can but I think in a case it will be much better. Even at that its not as loud as push pull configs I used before.

After I buy a new power supply, this is a must-have for me, then!

It's fairly loud even in a case, my review sample was anyway. Not obnoxious, but far from silent.

At silent it's pretty quiet.

Hey Earth yes I can.

Compared to a H100 in push pull config running at 100% fan speed I see my cores at

On the WATER2.0 Extreme with only 2 fans on Extreme settings using the same test I see

I did throw on two other fans for push pull and I saw no benefit at all.

Yes Extreme settings did make more noise but on this CPU and only a 2c difference I just went back to Silent.

Attachments

• 2500K @ 4.8ghz H100 wprime temps.JPG
    2500K @ 4.8ghz H100 wprime temps.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 209
So Buckeye, question. How does it compare to the 35,000 stage Phase unit in your tag pic?

Nice to see someone who has run the H100 and the TT 2.0.

Is the cost the same? Is the noise less one one than the other? Is the build quality better on one or the other? Is the parts and directions better on one or the other? The build ability is skewed to the low end of brain ability of users for me to decide which to recommend. Which is the better sucessful unit? Temps are close enough to not matter to new folks.

If you had to buy one and the cost was the same which would you buy? If the cost is different which would you buy?

At the beginning I hated the Corsair etc AIO's. But they do serve a purpose for cooling. It's not the same as a real much more expensive watercooling 'hobby'.

I recommend these coolers now, but only the H80 kinda, H100 and the TT 2.0 due to your input.

Which should I recommend? Your know the issues.

And thanks for the writeup, good job.

Conumdrum crawls out and asks a lot of questions LOL

I haven't talked with you in a long time man, back at that AMD event at XS that one time. It was very nice to meet you. Or wait... unless you don't want everyone to know your actually a nice guy :)

If I connected the phase unit to it then it would be equal ;)
Now wait... there is an idea. No need for 40 fans, just a nice bucket of water and DICE ;)

I have used a large number of H100's in many different builds and CPU's.Its not a bad cooler tbh.

Like I said on my main rig I used push pull and 100% fan speed forever it seems.

Building a lot of servers fan noise is just something that I got used to. But now with the WATER2.0 on Silent its nice to be able to actually hear stuff like games, music and videos without all that background noise.

I am skewed to the low end of brain ability by being a OF - Old Fart :) and that was my comment about the mounting system was aimed at. But tbh it's not that bad.

I actually prefer sealed water units these days over air cooling, they just perform better imo.

Would I recommend them... yes, better cooling and less noise.
If you have a case that can fit a 240mm rad then I would use this one now.

Thanks again :)

Wohoo! We drank together, you remember my drunk butt at such an amazing event. Hope we meet again when Fugger does the next one. Shoulda been there for the 2011 party, I was the 'Enabler'.

Thanks, I have moved to the dark side even worse. Built a nice powerful media rig... with no WC. Great gaming setup. Times change.

LOL yeah. You were trying to get me to play Witcher ;)

We had crumpy old Movieman walking around causing trouble also :)

Yup, heres a good video of the event. Man the good o'l days :)

ya I saw, but not scientific enough for me. :)

I mean a full controlled comparsion. :)

Good review I have the same cooler. I like the custom fan curve you can set as well. Its near silent most time I run and have push/pull with 90CFM fans on top. Like you said I saw maybe a 1-2C difference in Prime testing not sure it was worth 40 bucks of fans.

Back