• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thin rad thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_I_N

Ok so I'm changing cases again, need something smaller a lighter than my monster core x9. For the x9 I bought 3 360mm 60mm thick alphacool xflow rads, great rads just a bit to big for my new case the Corsair Crystal 570X. One fits without modding but can't put a 240 into the roof due to the overall size of the xflow and limited wiggle room front to back without modding (even then it's doubtful), as well as limiting Rez/pump locations.

So been researching thin rads for the past two days and have come down to the Black Ice Nemesis 240GTS® Ultra Stealth U-Flow Low Profile Radiator and Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS® Ultra Stealth U-Flow Low Profile Radiator. I'll be using the 3 included sp120mm rgb fans that come with the case and I purchased another 3 pack. Looking to do front and top as I take with the rear the only exhaust basically for cosmetic reasons. As the fans look great when not viewed thru the back framing. Now the gts360 beat out the competition at 2 out if 3 fan speeds (only lost at 1850) but came in second on the 1850 speed.

I'll be cooling my 7700k OC to 5GHz @ 1.335 vcore and a EVGA GTX1080 FTW2 which I'll run stock most if not all the time. I'm pretty sure those rads should keep me at decent temps across the board but was wondering on what y'all thought. For instance currently while gaming I see 45cpu and 72gpu temps running a single 360mm 60mm thick rad gpu not on water yet. And keep in mind the xflow is a single pass rad where the water goes straight thru so less time fir cooling per some review sites. The gts's are twin pass so the water stays in the rad a tad bit longer.

Anywho your thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.

I read reviews on those rads and they have a high water resistance. Make sure your pump has enough pressure.

A D5 or a 50X DDC will do the job.
I prefer the smaller footprint of the DDC and the slightly higher pressure. Price is nice too. :)

I have a couple d5's both are solid performers. But the reviews did say they were slightly more restrictive than their thicker counterparts but not within the realm of needing to worry about it.

Plus I want to use my Rez ordering a new top to shorten it to one section

IMG_0574_zps9chhjlpr.jpg

Last edited:
lol bytch we talked about this the other day. That first case I got was not going to cut it since the rads wouldn't mount without modding plus no room left for pump/rez

Went ahead and dropped the boom on the gts's they should arrive Thursday. PPCS had a dads day discount code that was to expire at midnight so grabbed em while I could save s bit.

One problem you might run into with them ....... Corsair SP120 RGB LED fan ..... 52cfm and 1.45 mmH20 static pressure might not be enough for the tighter double row 16FPI fin spacing on the rad. Nice rads I had a couple before GTS 240 and GTS 280 for a small rad they could pull a good bit of heat out of your loop but they required a couple of decent fans to get the most out of them.

That has been one of my concerns, but after dropping another 70$ for 3 more I'm kinda stuck with them for now lol. They seem to be doing well on my 60 mm rad.

I did but they are actually a tad thicker than 30mm overall. I'm a huge fan of Alphacool Rads. Plus where I was ordering from did not have both 360 and 240 in stock in similar flows.

Glad it worked for you ...... if the fans are doing the job you will be happy with those 2 rads ...... should you ever need a bit more cooling drop in some GT AP29 3000rpm fans. They are not as loud as you would think and virtually silent when run in conjuction with a good fan controller when you are not pushing your system .

naw I gots plenty of fans laying about, I'm sure these sp120's will work great. Plus since I'm using the crystal 570X I want the rgb bling lol.

Back