• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinkin of getting a dreamcast. what cool non-DC things can it do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

my dumb sisters about burned out the family PS2. Me and my friend just enjoy playin time crisis, area51 , and then hours upon hours of NHL2004 (even tho i know NOTHING of hockey) .

So now it only loads like DVD games, ps1 and ps2 games just dont work, even if brand new. we wer figurin on gettin a new one or xbox or something....but we realized ps3 is comming out ina year or so...and wer not heavy gamers.

my neighbor brought over his DC one nite witha buttload of nes roms on it. we thought that was friggen awsome. we heard of people running snes, Ps1, some attempting sega and n64 (but hardly finding roms)

lastly i heard of ways of playing Divx, VCD's, SVCD's, n such with codecs and all without soldeing a single wire.

we heard theyre about 15 bucks up at game exchange. was wondering what other cool things we can use it for?

i plan getting off my arse and finishing my DIY TV projector and hookin up our systems to it..so movies would be nice. i have more movies on my comp than i do dvds.

thanks in advance guys.

Wow guys...there is such originality here...well I did like the idea of putting a small form factor computer in it...I think it's cool if he can mod the DC, I've never used one so I have no idea what it's like, but I remember when I worked at Toys R Us they sold like crazy the first christmas they were out. Sega's only mistake was not including a DVD rom with the unit. It reminds me of the Sega Saturn, they opted for the 2x cd-rom and the playstation had a much faster 4x cd-rom ;)
Sorry I don't really have any ideas for you as far as mods go, but please let us know how it goes.

Why don´t you just use it for what it was made for? :p I have 1 and 6 backups for spare parts and there are more than enough excellent games to keep one occupied :p From what I´ve heard, divx play back it somewhat jumpy and even SNES emulation (and ofcourse PSX emulation) are somewhat slow. How about you mod your DC and give it a mirror finish paint job :)

yea id most probably mod it. i wonder if theres hardware hacks to make the thing read faster...i have 2 dead dvd machines i wonder how hard itd be to swap lasers or something

I have serious doubts that you´d be able to change the laser to a DVD laser. The GD Rom is quite proprietary, but of course you could go ahead and try. Though I think you´d more than likely end up with a dead DC. There´s another great thing about Dreamcasts but I don´t think I´m alound to talk about that here ;)

There's plenty you can do with a dreamcast. Since the thing runs on a small form windows operating system, you can add all sorts of programs to it. It lacks a harddrive, so everything has to be booted off of cds.

So far, I've figured out how to do this:

Play SVCDs
Play MP3s
Play Emulated Games including:
-----SNES Roms
-----NES Roms
-----Genesis Roms
-----NEOGEO Roms
Can be used as a CD player

Its an underrated platform. Some very good games were released for it including:
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Soul Calibur
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Time Crisis
House of the Dead
and various other games.

I own so many DC games its unbelievable. You can buy them up at Gamestop or Electronics Boutique for less than 10 dollars.

Granted the controler is a little strange with the wire setup, but you get used to it after a while, and it is very easy to hold onto.

I love my DC. It is still hooked up to my TV along with my XBOX and Gamecube.

i was thinkin bout adding a different controller...like a PS2 one or soemthing....

is all this possible with an xbox? i know id need to mod chip it....yea i agree DC is underrated..i mean cmon, Quake 3 multiplayer with it? built in browser? its too bad sega always messes up things

9mmCensor said:
Door stop, paperweight, low velosity projectile, the options are limitless (until you expend all the options that is)

lol.. Dude I love your humour.

i have an old DC too, and i can probably pick up a used one from EBgames, or Gamestop easily, for dirt cheap.

any " mods " or special things i can make the DC do too?

would be fun to screw with an extra DC.

any links or anything, that anyone knows of that could help us?

The DC was a great little system, actually. It was really ahead of it's time in what it could do. Unfortunately, it tanked. That was disappointing, to say the least.

I hated the controller on it. What a piece of crap! Beyond that, it was great :)

Moved to Games

Oni said:
The DC was a great little system, actually. It was really ahead of it's time in what it could do. Unfortunately, it tanked. That was disappointing, to say the least.

I hated the controller on it. What a piece of crap! Beyond that, it was great :)

Moved to Games

Agreed. It was probably the most underrated console of all time that was worth a hoot.

I miss Alien Front Online, PSO, Quake 3 Arena, Chu Chu Rocket, and other online games.... all for the wonderful price of 0$/mo.

SEGA, we'll miss you. Please continue to ***** out cheap remakes and rehashes until you get back on your feet and are able to create a new console.

I always enjoyed my DC. I got it about 2 years ago or so, when it was new for 50 bucks at bestbuy.

I heard somewhere the very first were liquid cooled. Not sure about that though... Anyone have any info on that?

MadSkillzMan said:
is all this possible with an xbox? i know id need to mod chip it....

you can always just flash the tsop which requires no mod chips... and you can still play games on xbc

Yea, the Dreamcast was definately a cool little system, it was just doomed by the impending release of the technologically superior PS2 (its funny calling the PS2 technologically superior to anything isn't it?)

You might also consider a Gamecube for a cheap gaming fix until PS3/Xbox2 come out.

The good old dreamcast what a great console it was so under rated for it's time PSO, is avilable on PC PSO BB. soul calibur was the best loking fighting game on any consle.

Back