• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinkin of getting a dreamcast. what cool non-DC things can it do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you can always just flash the tsop which requires no mod chips... and you can still play games on xbc

huuh? Also thats something i never thought about...why not flash like PS2 or something isntead of mod chips?

Edit - Slap -- Oni :sn:

/em DocGiggs gets slapped on the back of the head by the mods

Well.. it's cheap, it has some great and classic games, along with a ton of really moronic games that makes you wonder how much LSD is being used in the gaming design world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, talking about gaming emulation, where to get ROMs, 'backing up' your games, and the possibilities of flashing your various consoles are still rather grey areas when it comes to this kind of thing, so I think it would be best to avoid them, please.

It's a good thread. Lets keep it that way, ok?

MadSkillzMan said:
i was thinkin bout adding a different controller...like a PS2 one or soemthing....

is all this possible with an xbox? i know id need to mod chip it....yea i agree DC is underrated..i mean cmon, Quake 3 multiplayer with it? built in browser? its too bad sega always messes up things
you dont need a mod chip all you need to use a ps2 controller on a xbox is a converter like this http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=53&products_id=1892&

Edit - Removing emulation-related discussion. Did you miss my post or something? Didn't I just say 'please don't discuss emulation?' I could've sworn I did -- Oni :sn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually... I believe backing up your games is totally legal thing to do as long as you own a legitimate copy of the game itself. IE, if you get your hands on a copied version of Marvel vs. Capcom, you had better have a legal copy of Marvel vs. Capcom on the origonal Dreamcast Disc.

The whole backup deal was widely discussed when people were making mass copies of PSOne games, and since you could basically throw those in your PC and copy them outright, it got to be a huge problem. This was one reason that Sony went to black discs with the PSOne, but the idea totally flopped on them. They were still readable by the everyday CDROM, and were even playable on the PC using BLEEM!.

Dreamcast discs however are built in with a different architecture called a GDROM i believe, similar to Gamecube GDROMs. This isnt readable by your standard CDROM/DVDROM drive, and copying really went out the door.

The Dreamcast is built in a way that it will accept boot loaders. All kinds of boot loaders can be obtained that do different things. I have a boot loader to boot up a copy of an MP3 player compatible with the DC, and all the music can then be popped into the DC via other MP3 discs once the player has been loaded in the DCs memory.

I hope I didnt overstep my bounds with this post.

Back