• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of moving to an q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boorishid

Right now im running an e6750 and my mobo wont place nice with a 45nm quad even thought i bought it for that upgrade path since it said 45nm compatibile. POS only works with wolfdales.

Anyways i run alolt of sotware on vista64 ultimate
#1 MS visual studio
#2 RTS and RPG games
#3 photoshop cs3
#4 office
#5 play around with 3d max 9 a little

I know i stand to make some gains in like world in conflict and 3d max but is it really worth it will a quad make windows more zippy? Im just having a hard time with this decision i mean im going to be giving up 3.8ghz for hopefully 3.6. When you pad mod the chip it runs at a higher clock on the same voltage/heat correct? So basically im buying a chip that will run faster with no fsb hit if i pad mod? Also how hard is a 3.6 oc with a pad mod it this a pretty feasible goal with a xigmatek s1238? Just trying to decide if the if the moeny is worth it? Im either going to move to 8gig of ram and sli my video card or move to this quad and 8 gig of ram. Im leaning tword the quad a little more becuase i want an overall improvment in my computer not just games. I know there been alot of debate over ghz vs cores for games, but im just curious to know if moving to quad will give me an over snappier system.

With a 3.8 E6750 I doubt you'd notice any difference moving to a quad.

A lot of those stuff are dual threaded at the most, and unless you get a good price on your E6750, getting a Q6600 would be spending much cash for incremental gains at best (unless you decide you want to render giant stuff).

well basically i have enough crap laying around now to build a new media server/sql server. It needs a new proc so im either going to buy a wolfdale or a q6600 for my rig or get a celeron for the server.

If you'd really want a quad, go ahead. I'm having fun with mine, and no plans to upgrade in the near future.

3.6 will be very possible if you got decent airflow and use that xigmatek you got there.

Expect requiring a voltage of between 1.4 and 1.55v. If you aren't willing to feed that much voltage in a Q6600, 3.6 might not be possible.

Also make sure that your motherboard is one of the revised 680i versions. The early 680s didn't like to play with quads much. In that case, I'd get a cheap celeron for your HTPC instead.

Back