• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of upgrading cards soon gtx 780 to gtx 980 ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpriami

I built a gaming PC about 3 years ago. I bought the MSI GTX 780. Its been a really great card for me. Ive even flashed it to a custom rom about 2 years ago. I just recently got the new rise of the tombraider. I cant run the game on full settings. So I was thinking of maybe selling my GTX 780 while buying a GTX 980 Ti. But im curious if its really worth doing that. I can overclock my current card and it does pretty good. Still cant run everything on full. I dont own a 4k TV so thats not a bonus for me. Also Im hearing mix reviews on the Zotac GTX 980 TI Amp extreme I was looking at. Some complain about noise, some dont. Ive never owned a Zotac branded item. Most of my stuff is MSI.

If you need higher performance and you can sell GTX780 in good price then do it. If you can wait or you would lose too much on selling the 780 then maybe better will be to wait till next Nvidia generation which should have premiere in like half year if I'm right.
I just don't know if it's so important to run at max details while price difference is really big. All depends from your budget and if you really want it.

If you want GTX980Ti for gaming then EVGA is a good option, mainly because of the best support. I'm not convinced by Zotac as some of their cards are simply weird. MSI has warranty stickers on cooling so you won't switch to something like water cooling easily. ASUS is good but sometimes are issues with overclocking. Gigabyte is not bad and is usually in lower price than other brands.

A 980 would be overkill for you, I don't see a need for a 980Ti unless you're running multi-monitors for gaming or 1440p+ resolutions.

Well I'm a bit of a over power nut lol. I figure if I ever get a 4k tv in the next year or so I'll be set to still play my games on it. I was going to get a ps4 just because games are easier to get for those. I have limited Internet so all these steam downloads are rough on me. But I think I'd have a hard time going from pc to something not as good

Well I'm a bit of a over power nut lol. I figure if I ever get a 4k tv in the next year or so I'll be set to still play my games on it. I was going to get a ps4 just because games are easier to get for those. I have limited Internet so all these steam downloads are rough on me. But I think I'd have a hard time going from pc to something not as good
That's a lot of money hinged on a potential future purchase of a 4K monitor...

Honestly, if your 780 is doing well enough now, perhaps considering waiting until 2H+ of 2016 and wait for NVIDIA's new cards and AMDs and make a purchase then...

Back