• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Third world country server build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hootener

I've built a lot of desktops in my day, but the needs of this particular build are fairly strange, so I thought I would post the build and what it needs to do...

First what it needs to do:
  • This server will be built in the United States, tested, configured, dismantled, and shipped to a remote village in a third world country. Once there it will be used to perform computationally intensive tasks (RAM is first and foremost the most important component; however, the graphics card and processor(s) are also heavily utilized). I've been informed that I will at least have access to a reliable source of power. No Internet, though.
  • This machine will run for long periods of time, and heat (both environmentally and internal to the machine) may be an issue. So there are thermal concerns, but nothing so drastic as to necessitate water cooling or anything.
  • This machine will store and process large (compared to the average user, I guess) amounts of data, on the order of GBs at a time. To improve access times to the information, I am considering an SSD to hold the ''working'' data set to be processed, with completed analysis and old data stored on a large (2TB) internal HDD.

I think I have most of the hardware sorted out, but my biggest concerns are: power and cooling. I've been told power there is reliable, but I'd feel a lot safer knowing I had a rock solid PSU that could take bizarre fluctuations in voltage and current if necessary. I think air cooling is sufficient, but I want to be sure I have a case that optimizes air flow.

Lastly, reliability is a sizable concern. If something critical on this machine breaks while it is deployed, the project is hosed, or at least set back while new parts are sourced.

TL;DR: I need a powerful machine to use in a third world country. My current biggest concerns are power, cooling, and reliability. I have ~$2500 to spend.

The build:

Final thoughts. My budget is about $2500. So there's a little headroom here for a case, which hasn't been determined yet. I've got about $150.00 to spend there, and I'm looking for recommendations.

I skimped a bit on the processors, I think, but something had to give and RAM is more important than CPU for the task being performed. If someone has a better recommendation for CPU (e.g., "X gives you much more power for a little more money", "Y gives you a little less power for a lot less money", etc.) I'm all ears. The GPU is a nice to have that will help with processing, but once again, I compromised here to get more RAM. RAM above all else. Lastly, I've never used an Athena PSU before. Thoughts on its reliability and performance? I'll take advice on the reliability and performance of any item I've listed, for that matter.

Edit: I forgot to mention, data backup/redundancy (i.e., RAID) isn't a huge concern. First, I will backup any ''finished'' data processing on a large external USB drive. On the weekends I will travel to a city where internet access is available and I will FTP these finished data sets to a server in the US for long term storage. I'm still on the fence about RAID, though. Perhaps it's worth it to do some kind of RAID array on the 2TB HDD? I'll have to weigh the cost:benefit ratio.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The parts that you pick out look solid, but i would like to recommend using diffrent psu, ram and ssd, some thing like this
http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technolog...TF8&qid=1360018345&sr=8-1&keywords=ocz+vector
OCZ flagship ssd this thimg is "fast and ferious", and OCZ also make some of the best ssd in the world
Video review for this ssd

For RAM i would recommend
Patriot Memory Viper 3 Series Venom red or blue (your choice) DDR3 16GB 1866MHz (life time warranty)

For psu, i recommend
Corsair AX1200 profesional psu, 80 plus gold, this's the rock solid psu.
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Profe...id=1360018861&sr=1-2&keywords=corsair+ax1200i
Video review for this psu

Thanks for the input!

For my own projects, I always use Corsair PSU's, I had my eye on the one you mentioned instead of the Athena, so it's good to see it recommended.

Can't find the patriot RAM on newegg unfortunately, but I might do a similar build at TigerDirect and see how it shakes out. For ordering purposes it's much less hassle for me if all the parts are ordered at one time and from one location, so I'm trying my best to do that. Three cheers for red tape.

He's looking at a completely different range of parts. Server hardware is built to way different standards than consumer hardware is.

In terms of pure reliability, nobody beats Intel on the SSD market.

He also needs ECC RAM, not normal RAM.

Since you're not running a ton of high end hardware, your PSU requirement isn't anything near 1100W. You could easily go with a smaller unit that is redundant, something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338047

Knufire,

Thanks, especially for the PSU recommendation. I didn't checkout the Patriot RAM recommendation yet to see that it wasn't ECC.

I share your thoughts concerning Intel SSDs.

Thoughts on the Kingston RAM I have listed?

PC Power and Cooling probably make the most rock-solid PSUs on the market: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703037

Also, if you'll be running Windows, keep in mind that 20+GB or so of that 120GB SSD is going to be used for the OS, so you've got less than 100GB free.

Is that the best GPU in that price bracket? Newegg has some 7850's listed for under $200. Haven't really been following AMD vs NVidia recently, so I'm not up to speed on what's the fastest. Obviously it'll depend on what the GPU will be doing.

Interesting build! Can you say what sort of computations it's going to be doing?

Lonewolf,

I will be taking imagery captured by an aerial vehicle and generating overhead, DEM, and 3-dimensional maps of the region. The reason for the massive amount of RAM is basically the more of these images you can load into memory for processing at once, the better (i.e., faster) the process becomes. Graphics processing capabilities (CUDA) also come in handy, but only a small subset of cards are supported. The following is a list of supported graphics cards:

• Nvidia GTX: 280, 285, 465, 470, 480, 560, 570, 580, 680
  • AMD Radeon HD: 5830, 5850, 5870, 6870, 6950, 6970, 7970

In terms of bang for buck on the appropriate card to use, I'm all ears.

I'm up in the air on OS to use, the software supports both, but I'm leaning toward some Debian flavor of Linux as a point of personal preference.

Thanks for your input!

I've made a couple of changes based on the input from this thread and I think I'm happy with what I have specc'ed out. I'm posting here as a final pass in case there's some kind of glaring oversight I missed.

Things I kept:
  • Intel Xeon E5-2407 Sandy Bridge-EN 2.2GHz 10MB L3 Cache LGA 1356 80W Quad-Core Server Processor (x 2)
  • Kingston 16GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600 Server Memory (x6, for a total of 96GB)
  • Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
  • TOSHIBA PH3200U-1I72 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
  • ASUS ENGTX560 DCII GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB

I ended up replacing the mobo, because the super micro has a proprietary format and I didn't want to be shoehorned into buying a proprietary case. So I went with an ASUS ATX server mobo instead, this one:

ASUS Z9NA-D6

It wasn't mentioned (that I could find) on the newegg description, but looking around online I determined this mobo can handle the Kingston ECC Registered RAM that I have slated to go in it.

I ended up going with an 850W PC Power and Cooling 80 plus gold rated PSU based on LoneWolf's recommendation and subsequent research.

Finally, I added a CoolerMaster HAF case.

Overall, I think I'm happy with this and will probably pull the trigger in the next day or two. I'm still open to any last minute thoughts and recommendations, though.

Thanks for your help everyone.

EDIT: I just realized that the processors I'm considering do not come with a heat sink / cooler. Can anyone make any recommendations on a heat sink / cooler that can fit socket LGA 1356?

Last edited:
Very cool, sounds like a fun project!

I'm a little confused about why only a small subset of CUDA-capable cards are on your list...All nVidia 4xx, 5xx, and 6xx cards support CUDA. I'm not an AMD/ATI guy, so I'm not up to speed about their cards, though Anandtech shows the 7850 handily beating the 560 in compute performance.

Lonewolf,

I think I was unclear in my last post. The list of graphics cards I provided are mentioned in the documentation of the software I'm using as being ''fully supported.'' I have a sneaking suspicion there are several other nVidia and ATI cards that would work as well, but I'd rather play it safe in this case.

Since my last post I ended up changing things around quite a bit. I changed to an LGA 2011 build. I kept the same PSU, hard drives, graphics card, and RAM, but went with an ASUS Z9PA-D8 board and Intel Xeon E5-2620 processors. I opted for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler for each of the CPUs. Considering replacing the stock fans with Noctuas, but I want to check the temps out on the rig first. I also ended up going with a Cooler Master HAF XB case because of its modular test bench design.

This build put a little over my budget, but still reasonable.

Back