• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is for the older crowd - Sudden Northwood Death Syndrom for memory??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaddMutt

Dear Guru's,

I know that I'm asking you to reach deep into your memories about the Sudden Northwood Death Syndrom.
If you overclocked the CPU, (Socket 478) it would slowly die over a few months or weeks. The max OC would begin to drop off until the CPU no longer worked.
Has anyone heard of this happening to memory, or has had this happen to them?????
I have a old set of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 4 x 4 GB (using Hynix IC's) that I could overclock to DDR3 2133 speed.
Recently, they are not wanting to run stable @ DDR3 1866/2000.
Is it time to retire this set and look at getting another set?????
If so, any recommendations : G.Skill, Geil, PNY, Team Vulcan, Ect, Ect,

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading And Replying

Ahh SNDS.. I have a Northwood too. Luckily it's on a Dell Optiplex GX270 so no overclocking there lol.
Anyway, if you give enough voltage and overclock anything enough yeah, it'll degrade...

Like my 7850 and 270x - I had them overclocked quite a bit and was mining and folding on them 24/7.
Now, they crash the drivers more than usual at the same overclocks... The 270x now needs 1.25 Volts where I was mining and folding on them at only 1.175 volts... (For gaming back them I up the voltage to 1.2 volts. See? Now the 270x needs 0.05 more volts than before)

Optiplex GX270... How many times have the mobo caps failed? lol I have gone through a bunch of those at work. :mad:

MaddMutt, have you been overvolting the RAM to get the overclock? Is the CPU overclocked too? The memory controller is in the CPU so it is possible it's the reason for your RAM's decreasing ability to overclock.

I used to love s478 overclocking. That's the platform that really got me into it & my 3.4GHz Prescott @ 4.1GHz was my fist custom water build. Good times. :)

Optiplex GX270... How many times have the mobo caps failed? lol I have gone through a bunch of those at work. :mad:
Huh. Learn something new everyday.
I knew about the bad caps issue, but never really cared much about it.

Good thing that Dell is never on lol.

/back to the thread

If you keep reasonable voltages ( regardless of clock ) then memory should live couple of years. Reasonable for DDR3 will be up to maybe 1.75V for most IC.

Dear Guru's,

I know that I'm asking you to reach deep into your memories about the Sudden Northwood Death Syndrom.
If you overclocked the CPU, (Socket 478) it would slowly die over a few months or weeks. The max OC would begin to drop off until the CPU no longer worked.
Has anyone heard of this happening to memory, or has had this happen to them?????
I have a old set of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 4 x 4 GB (using Hynix IC's) that I could overclock to DDR3 2133 speed.
Recently, they are not wanting to run stable @ DDR3 1866/2000.
Is it time to retire this set and look at getting another set?????
If so, any recommendations : G.Skill, Geil, PNY, Team Vulcan, Ect, Ect,

Thank You For Your Time
In Reading And Replying

Yes
and Yes. :)

If you keep reasonable voltages ( regardless of clock ) then memory should live couple of years. Reasonable for DDR3 will be up to maybe 1.75V for most IC.

I have been running the memory @ 1.670 (that is it's max without errors) for the past 5+ yrs. I purchased it at the same time I got my Gigabyte 790FXA-UD5 & AMD 1100T. I buy the bin or two down and then run it like it's the top dog :)

With the memory prices dropping because of DDR4, I think I need to pick up some new ones.

Thank You All For Your
Vast Knowledge

DDR4 prices are also dropping and I'm not happy about it as I'm trying to sell DDR4 for like 3 weeks now constantly lowering price ... already ~$100 down :-/

Back