• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is why I can't have Nice things (A big fan story)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TsunamiJuan

Well I pretty much hit the stock max for overclocking on my video card. But thats not gonna keep me from trying. My Fans finally came so it was time to attempt to do something about this.

So I took a 120mm 250cfm Delta, and strapped it to the card. I removed the stock fan first. It also solved the issue of not enough air to the intake of my SS Phasechange unit.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 216
  • Before2.jpg
    Before2.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 216
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 215
  • After2.jpg
    After2.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 216
Glorious!
You must have been talking to that Bobnova guy.
Next I bet he'll say something about a duct so that air won't escape without going through the heatsink....

You should take some tape and/or cardboard and duct it so that none of the air can get away without going through the heatsink first :D

Yeah you can't see in the pic but theres some ducting underneath the fan, forcing the bottom portion that would just be spraying the mobo into the fan intake on the card. I took the fan off (required a little wiggeling and jiggeling but didnt have to take the entire heatsink off).

Little update on this monstrosity. It works Extremely well. Its just LOUD. But Bobnova did manage to push it up to 999mhz on the core, On air :D. I'll mess with it more tommarow, while wearing my uber dj headphones that will block about 45db or so(out of the 63).

So after Bnova and I did a little dice and extreme fan benches a couple days ago I finally put everything back together.

Bnova managed to get the card to run fine at 999mhz core, at 1.21v, so the cooling made a difference. Previous best was 957/1182, at which point it would do a run on the verge of crashing. Lots of artifacting. Anything past that and it would crash.

So I reworked the fan a little, and made a duct out of duct tape. This prevents the heatpipes from getting overly cooled before they hit the fins where the phase change is most effective, and improves the flow alot.

Managed a 962/1131 run at 1.87v, scoreing 98427 in 3d01, almost 1k higher than before, tried again at 992/1131, and the score went lower again, due to heat. So next up is probably some dice, to see if we can hit 1100mhz on the core, i might try seeing how high i can get the ram later tonight.

Attachments

• Superfan part 2_3.jpg
    Superfan part 2_3.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 161
  • Superfan part 2_2.jpg
    Superfan part 2_2.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Superfan part 2_1.jpg
    Superfan part 2_1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Superfan part 2_4.jpg
    Superfan part 2_4.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Superfan part 2_5.jpg
    Superfan part 2_5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Gotta move that decimal point one notch to the left and add a 1 at the front.
I'm not quite insane enough to give a Fermi 2.12 volts! Now 1.212 on the other hand... Or 1.26...

I am so jealous of this, thing looks like so much fun. :thup:

What kind of temps are you getting? I'm assuming this is just a single stager, correct? How is taking SB cold?

Core temp of around -10c -8c at 5.5ghz 1.47vcore. I am either gonna wait till it leaks and needs to be refilled or i am just gonna tear it open and put a larger fan off the rad, and put higher performance refrigerant in it. The cold plate temp is usually around -42c to -52c

Video card on the otherhand i think is peaking around 70c on core right now, around 30c at idle at that speed. Stock the card runs at 17c idle and about 35-40c load.

Made a video the other day of the setup. Along with the uber delta doing its thing.
5.5ghz i7 with uber delta

Also pulled off my first 100K+ 3dmark 2001 score friday night/saturday morning.

Probably gonna wait till I get my koolance V2, before I do much more. To much of a temperature swing from idle to load right now -10c to 11c under heavy load right now.

Attachments

• 3d01_5795mhz_985_ram1161.JPG
    3d01_5795mhz_985_ram1161.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 120
Dear lord do I want a 5700+ SB. :drool: I would be nearing 115k in 01. I got a 109,238 with a 5300mhz SB. And hell, that was on an Asus board. :shock: I'd love to get a Jiggy for 01 and 32M pi if they had EFI. :-/

If the video card wasn't getting quite so hot it would be performing better, I even broke down and lapped the heatsink and put some Artic Silver Ceramique' on it (made a big differance in thermal transfer).

Nice! Whatever you have to do to get the temps down and the scores up. :thup:

Ps. You wouldn't want to send me that chip would you? :chair:

Not till i get all the points possible out of it :D probably be a few more weeks or more before Bobnova and I get our hands on some Ln2. I wasn't planning on using ln2 on this chip originaly, but that might be what it takes to hit 5.9ghz or higher at this point.

Back