• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts and opinions on possible build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

undergroundx

Registered
Hello everyone, I'm new here to the forums and have been browsing the forums,online etc for different components for a new gaming/production machine. I wanted to get everyones opinion on my choices for hardware to see if maybe someone had a better option,suggestion etc. My plans to use the computer for are gaming,rendering,every day use(browsing,music,email etc),video editing,vmware/testing and whatever else I decide to use it for.

Here is what I have so far. Not quite finished yet.

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800 Quad Channel 240 Pin Desktop Memory CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold (SPG) 1200 Watts Modular Power Supply

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 02G-P4-2680-KR (Was thinking maybe 2x of those for now) Might just 2.

Akasa Venom Voodoo Universal CPU Cooler w/ Direct Contact (AK-CC4008HP01) (Sockets LGA 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 / AM3 / FM1)

ASUS Maximus V EXTREME LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Uses/Purpose - Gaming/production/rendering/video editing/vmware/etc
Price Range - between $1000-1500

Thank you for your opinions and support in advanced!!!

Wasn't sure if I was able to post links, other wise I would have, it links would help defiantly let me know and I'll be sure to post them. Or if you need anymore information.
Thanks.:)

Last edited:
if you have future plans of going with three GTX680 (first off two is overkill really lol) then you might want to go with X79 motherboard as it has 40 lanes of pci 3. were as the Z77's only have 16 lanes of pci 3.

shouldn't be a problem with just two cards as they are really only running alittle over 16x pci 2 anyways and pci 3 has double the bandwidth so running two cards at 8x pci 3 shouldn't hold them back much,but dont bother with 3 cards as they will just be bottlenecked on that system.

Thank you for the reply!
Yes I figured having more then one would be an overkill since, you can do most of what you want with one. Thanks for the suggestion.

yea if your planing a single monitor 1080 then one is really all you need it it maxes any game out with no problems.

looks like a imitation megahalems that aside i probably wouldn't get it just because of the fan mount on it bet that fan will make a ton of noise vibrating on those fins with only a wire mount,guess you could make use of a little rubber between the fan and the heatsink or something but wouldn't be my first choice.

i would go with that Noctua or personally i like cooler master V8 coolers for an affordable alternative,i used one for about a year and it worked great its currently residing in my wife case and still working great:)

Knufire swears by it and recommends it in many builds.
The noise level is no more than the cooler master, check the specs @ 21dBa max.
Not only that, it doesn't block RAM slots or prohibit tall RAM heatsinks and includes a 140mm fan, not 120mm., but I do agree that the cooler master one is cheaper and has a sharper look to it.
EDIT: The Noctua selected is for a x79 LGA 2011, not 1155 w/ 3770k

Last edited:
TS 140 is a great cooler for the price, but it's not a NH-D14. The NH-D14 was pretty much the long standing king of air coolers. Recently, there's been some challengers, such as the Phantek cooler, the Thermalright Silver Arrow, and the Prolimatech that has the vertical and horizontal stack that name escapes me right now.

TS140 and the Megahalems are pretty different heatsink...the Megahalems are a dual stack, thicker, and a tad shorter than the TS140. Prolimatech is known for iconic designs, nobody really copies them.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Hey everyone thank you very much for the reply, and sorry for the sorta late response. :p

Thank you jazon1 and Poleposition for the fan recommendations! I will most likely go with one of the 2 for the build, they look massive but pretty promising.

Also Thanks Knufire also for the forum information aswell and your thoughts :)

Much appreciated guys! Thank you. Anymore recommendations feel free! :)

Thanks again

Back