• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TwoTone

Registered
If you were to buy a Ryzen today for slight overclocking with gaming which would you get.

I currently have a I7-5820

I went with a 1400 for HTPC and 2700X for my daily gamer. Couldn't be happier with them.

But your Current processor is a Beast. Your only really missing out on thread count at this point.......

The 2600x....it's close enough to 7700k like. but more threaded. But my 7700k still has like 20 frames on it.

5820k is 6c12t. Its got enough IPC to make up for core deficiency and to be competitive, especially when overclocked.

I was trying to be nice to my son. He wants to upgrade and earned all his money so I was going to sell him my Sabertooth X99 board with the CPU and 32 Gigs ram for $200.

I know it would cost him a lot more than that if he tried to buy the same performance new.

Well yeah how the 2600x is has quite the IPC of somewhere like that. Something Modern. And absolutely that 6c/12t Performance.

Honestly, I have a 2600X and from the reviews I've read you'd be better off grabbing the 2600 non-X and overclocking it to 2600X performance and spend the saved money else where on your build.

So maybe I should go a different route. What would be his best bet budget wise to see a decent improvement from his current I3-3220 LGA 1155?

In the same socket - 2700k/3770k/Xeon (?) if you can get them cheap, you only have you swap the CPU. If you want to upgrade "cheap" to a new system and still see a big improvement maybe a Ryzen 5 2500x or the 2400g APU ?

Don't really know what's going on in the Intel side, if anyone else wants to chime in ?

I found a combo deal for a Ryzen 5 2600 and Asus ROG Strix B350 MB for $204. I'll lend him 16 gigs of my ram for now.

Considering I7s I found on Ebay are going to $80-$100, I think the above is a better route.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Last edited:
I found a combo deal for a Ryzen 5 2600 and Asus ROG Strix B350 MB for $204. I'll lend him 16 gigs of my ram for now.

Considering I7s I found on Ebay are going to $80-$100, I think the above is a better route.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

What i7s are you talking about for that cheap? Don't confuse current bids with final selling prices.

Do you have a GPU to go with that ?

yea he got my R9 Fury when I bought the Vega 64

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

What i7s are you talking about for that cheap? Don't confuse current bids with final selling prices.

Yea- that's what I meant. That's why I felt $200 for a modern AM4 MB and Processor would be a better route money wise.

The comparisons I saw the R5 2600 was faster than the LGA 1155 I7s

If you must buy now pick up a 1700x. The 2700x is not worth the price jump with the new Ryzens down the road. And if you got a microcenter close you can get the 1700x for $130 and then $20 off if you get a mobo. My vote is.

1700x and good mobo. When ryzen 3 launches get one of those sell the 1700x for $100 and you hardly lose any money. 1700x with a good x470 is still a good cpu. Here's mine and it's still got some left that's just it's daily driver clocks

https://valid.x86.fr/lawaw7

Back