• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Three Mile Island Revisited: E1.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
now is when everything starts to come together real fast:

pump sleeved:

IMG_4582.jpg

pump mounted:

IMG_4585.jpg
IMG_4592.jpg

all water blocks mounted and all tubing set up

IMG_4584.jpg

cut, crimped, and sleeved the leads on the Corsair RAM cooler module to length:

IMG_4596.jpg

READY FOR WATER!:

IMG_4600.jpg

O_O i got a hard on from the dual quad CPU set up and the extensive wire managment

IMG_4671.jpg
IMG_4674.jpg
IMG_4675.jpg
IMG_4678.jpg
IMG_4682.jpg

Have it finished, it looks nice, but it won't boot worth a damn. If I turn it on, every single red light in the system comes on - 1 by each CPU, and 3 on each HD4870 card. No post, no video signal, no beep, diagnostic LED continually reads 00. Have tried rotating RAM sticks, as well as running one hard drive at a time, but still no avail. This straight up sucks... I'm about to dump this damned thing out of the window and use this POS 930 Presler machine until I have enough cash to build a brand new AMD Opteron Magny-Cours SMP machine in a Little Devil V8 case.

sounds like power supply issues, the MOBO wont get a chance to make any beeps if it wont pass the POST

yeah I think I've narrowed it down to the PSU... I'm in the middle of sleeving and crimping my Zippy PSL-6C00V 1200w, but have no mini-fit pins left, and can't do a damn thing until I get more.

So in the meantime, I thought I'd try to hook everything up with my trusty old Zippy PSL-6701P-SATA 700w PSU. It worked for a couple months before I got my 1200w while working on the Zyklon B/Threshold project,but it's pretty clear that it's not going to cut it this time around. So yeah, that turned out to be a complete waste of time and effort, but I was anxious to get the Skulltrail rig back up and running... just going to have to wait for my damned mini-fit pins and sleeving before Three Mile Island E1.0 is operational.

I've had those moments when a finally finished build wont post, last time it was because I crushed my chipset on my new board from mounting a block, it took hours to figure out what happened. You might want to make sure all the power connectors are completely in, too many times have I had a computer not boot only to find that the 24pin isn't in all the way :rolleyes:

Anyways, build looks killer dude! Dual quads and CF'd 4870's are still relevant and very powerful ;)

Well, today I finally mustered up the patience to troubleshoot my Skulltrail build.

Swapped around HDD's, RAM, and GPU's... and it turns out that I have two dead HD4870 512mb cards. Oh ****ing well, I could really care less.

I've got two brand new HD5850's in my closet, but I'm not going to bother with those - Skulltrail bottle necks them too much. Instead I installed a single HD4870 1gb card thanks to my brother, Tyler.

Had to do some on-the-fly tubing mods - basically removed one of the GPU blocks from the loop, and that's it.

IMG_4871.jpg
IMG_4880.jpg

now I have it sitting there with the ghetto optical drive set up, as I have no room for an optical drive to actually be mounted in the 5.25" bays, or anywhere inside the case for that matter. So I need to burn my Win 7 Ultimate image onto a disk, and then format/install on my two 74g 16m Raptors in RAID 0

IMG_4881.jpg

Also: while I had it apart, I swapped out the weak *** 40mm fans on my Corsair memory cooler for some Sunon 40x25mm fans that push twice as much air, but are still quiet. Without any active cooling these things get up to 80ºC, so with the fan module, I know my FB-DIMMs are loving me right now staying cool at around 45ºC

IMG_4869.jpg

Today brings one more piece of dead hardware: one of my WD 74gb 16mb cache Raptors. It wasn't showing up for the last few days, and kept showing a failed RAID array whenever I tried to create one, now I boot it up trying to install Windows and I hear the awesome click click click of a dead drive. Fun.

Now I'm down to one 74gb Raptor, which shows up in BIOS, diagnostics, but does not show up in Windows when it asks you which drive you would like to install it on. So at the moment I'm running the DBaN HDD cleaner to strip the platters *** naked, and tomorrow we'll see if it shows up in Windows.

In BIOS I currently have the hard drives in IDE mode, and will have to try AHCI tomorrow, maybe try using the SiliconImage controller instead of the ICHR10 on the D5400XS Skulltrail board.

Damn I just want this thing to work without it costing me any more money!

After running DBaN on my remaining 74gb Raptor, it showed up during the Windows install, and now I'm officially running on my Skulltrail rig again. Fresh Windows 7 64bit installation, Prime stable @ 3.00ghz (7.5x400) 1:1 with RAM.

Now I remember how much I love the Skulltrail platform when it is actually working. Once you have it set up, it's absolutely rock solid. So much better than that POS Pentium D 930 Presler rig that I was running on for the last two weeks.

Back