• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Three Mile Island Revisited: E1.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is the point where i would just say screw it, buy an SSD, and get two monster graphics cards in there under water :)

you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm holding this down until next year when Intel releases the next gen 2011 socket processors... just upgrade this to two QX9775's, 16gb (4x4gb) of DDR2-800 FB-DIMMs, new HDD's plus a SSD, and a pair of 6950's or something along that line. Not even going to bother building on 1155, 1156, or 1366 when Intel is gonna be releasing a new platform within a year - gonna sit on my good ole' Skulltrail :salute:

I am pretty sure dual QX9775's with a nice oc is pretty comparable to current intel quads in multi threaded apps, the only thing you lose out on is single threaded apps but most new software is multi threaded anyways.

Why don't you just get a quad socket G34 board and throw in some magny cours? xD

Why don't you just get a quad socket G34 board and throw in some magny cours? xD

You know what? Last week I was looking at doing exactly that. And I probably will, as there's no way that I'm going to wait an entire year and a half until Q4 2012 for Intel's next gen goodies. I'd prefer to do a SMP build anyways, so Magny Cours would be a very appealing option - I'd also opt to go with two high-frequency 8-cores, rather than two lower-frequency 12-cores. Asus also has an extremely nice dual G34 board (KGPE-D16) that I would not mind trying out. But first on my agenda is getting my hands on a Little Devil LD V8 case, and we'll see what happens from there on.

It's here - Corsair AX850 Professional Series 850 watt modular power supply:

IMG_5318.jpg

Now let's see if my Skulltrail system decides to play nice...

everything finally got crammed inside the case including a new pair of WD VelociRaptor 150gb's that WD gave me as a free upgrade when I RMA'd two 74gb/16mb cache Raptors that had less than a month left on their 5-year warranty. Good stuff - will definitely continue to buy Western Digital products after that display of loyalty towards their customers.

Picked up a new X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-E 1x sound card as well... my XtremeMusic just wasn't cutting it anymore at this point, and I couldn't pass up a good deal on a (barely) used card in the f/s/t section.

IMG_5746.jpg

Then as an upgrade between my Skulltrail platform and Intel's LGA2011 socket, I picked up an Asus Rampage III Extreme and golden i7 920. Still need to get a set of DDR3 for it, and then I'll be throwing that in this case in place of this Skulltrail rig.

As much as I love Skulltrail, I'd rather buy an entire i7 platform (CPU, MOBO, RAM) for about $500, than upgrade an old *** SMP platform with a pair of QX9775's that aren't going to be much cheaper than $300-400 a pop. AND! I've still got one brand new Sapphire HD5850 card sitting in my closet after my brother swindled me out of its twin. Definitely time for an upgrade... Sneaky style.

Even more to come too... I have a Little Devil PC-V8 case en route from Ales @ LD Cooling. Will keep everyone posted.

-JR

Last edited:
Back