• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thuban or Dozer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i wasnt comparing the windsor to a phenom II because i skipped the 2 cores between the 5200+ and the 720BE i own.
i was comparing the windsor to the brisbane and the agena cores that were between these two

this is purely the fact why I used a Windsor dual core while Brisbanes and Agena's came and went. And it did well, it went to 3.2Ghz from mid 2's and was fast for its time how ever after changing to the tri core i have now i only gained 300Mhz and the time has come that you can get more cores and a faster processor now.

it just seemed to level off there for a while, clock speed and OC ability plateaued so more and more cores were added, now that the cores are being added stock and OC speeds are going up again and i am getting left in the dust.

Whilst I can see why brisbane 65nm and Agena = 65nm phenomenal disappointment were avoided when you had a good old windsor,
You havent told us where you feel your system struggles, you just state you will be upgrading your gcard eventually and in comparsion to your previous cpu you've only gained 300mhz. Like I said if its just in gaming then if your x3 can hold 3.7ghz with a little overclock on the nb-cpu, then that should hold out until either amd release something better than dozer or you could divert to intel.

3.5 is as high as the 720 will go. will not do any thing higher with out pushing MAJOR juice into it and even then it wasnt stable enough to test if any game ran.

i'm pretty confident i could get a 960T to unlock, if i am not able to i am more than certian i could get it closer to 4 Ghz than where i am at now, on top of it will run cooler and be a bit less demanding than what i am using now stock or over clocked. at the same time its already been said the thubans will get more done clock per clock than the denebs, and i am hitting the last of the revision as well. i should be able to ride a chip like this untill i cant to go to pile driver or something else thats harder better faster stronger.

if i dont upgrade now and spend about $300 i will be spending MUCH more in the long run because i will have to change alot of things instead of just sticking a processor and a videocard into my system. if i wait too long i'll get behind, wont be able to run the games i want, will have to buy a new mobo AND processor with the possibility of buying new ram and probably a power supply and wont be able to get the video card i want and settle for one i am not happy with.

if i plop a 960T or 1100T into what i have now with a 7850 i'll be up to date currently, should be able to get by alot longer and just change lot of what i have over when i decide to upgrade after this next one. weither it be a mobo and such. at the same time though we havent even got to the point of checking credit so what ever.

either way i have extra cash and buliding up my computer now is the best thing to do while i can before i buy a house and i wont be able to upgrade for a very long time. i'm dipping a little bit into what we have saved for a down payment however our buying process has been delayed because we cant find an honest lender that wont jerk us arround. better than wait and find some one thats honest then get ****ed over by the first jackass. and while we wait and find some one else our downpayment is just going to keep getting bigger.

you'd think it'd be easy with some one and their wife that has a 7xx established credit score and about 10% down could get a FHA loan no problem (they only would like to see 3.5% down here)

My 960T came today. I put one in my daughter's computer back in December and was so impressed with it I wanted one myself. Got her's to 4.0 on 5 cores with an old TRUE cooler.

did you try unlocking?

Yes. 6 viable cores. Passed my Prime95 20 minute short test at 3.8 ghz and tomorrow I'll do a longer test. It pulled 1.51 vcore max during the short test and core temps were only mid 40s C. As a 4 core it passed the long test at 4.1 ghz, 1.49 vcore max, core temps high 30s C. This is an amazing CPU for $125. I'm cooling it with a Corsair A70 push pull fans on low speed. Specs are same as in my Sig except for the new CPU.

damn i got paid and was going to order but the egg is sold out.
the video card side of things is tempting me but thered be a serious bottleneck on what i have now

yes for alot more though. some of the prices for this make it to the point of why not spend the extra few bucks and get the 1100t

edit:
side note, why is the 960t not on AMDs website?

Last edited:
Good question. I wouldn't think it's because they may not be producing it anymore if other discontinued products are listed.

have you ordered from there before?

I've been kind of weary of some places lately considering some of the oens i have found. NewEgg got some instock the other day while i was on my break, less than 2 hours later when i wnent on lunch and got to a computer they were already sold out. so they either just got one or the demand for them has spiked.

side note:
been reading up alot about PWM phases and this chip killing boards...
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=482
^this is the mobo i have, think thats enough cooling on the board? thinking of regreasing (if themal grease is what it has instead of pads)

i finally managed to snag my self one on new egg, either they only got one in stock or they have just become super popular lately because they are trying to keep their quota up be disabling 1090t's, i dont know whats going on because its out of stock already.

i thought about that 3btech place but its return for replacment is only 7 days and new egg is 30 days, plus $5 saved as well. i might try 3b later for something that isnt also over a hundred dollars

Back